TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #31
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Under normal circumstances, Tivos do not update every three days, they update daily - 7 days /week and it's been that way since 1998. That updated data is made available by Tivo everyday at 1pm EDT. If a Tivo connects before that time, it will only have the most up to date data. Service connections are not made every 24 to 28 hours. There can be as little as 4 hours between connections or as much as about 40 hours. Just this past weekend my Premiere made three "daily" connections in about 18 hours.
This is what it seems to be different nowadays (or possibly different on Premiere vs previous Tivos?).

I'm only comparing this to what I see in last successful connection/next connection time in the Network settings page. Why does it sometimes do another connection within a few hours?
(It didn't seem to do this on my S1s, S3, nor TivoHD.) Again, I don't have a zillion data points for any of them, but I check it enough that I think I would have noticed it.

BTW, I haven't read this whole thread, but I wonder if part of the disconnect was what I have long called the two halves of the Tivo's brain not communicating properly. I VERY often see the To Do list and (View Upcoming or manual guide data listings) showing different results. This can be last minute changes, or "episode info filling in" (changing from generic show info to specific info), or sometimes just seems to be big changes (e.g. MTV seems to do this, and the rare times I record on MTV nowadays, it's often manually going through the next ~2 weeks of guide data and recording various marathons.. every couple of months I do that that is).

So you can have something set to record (as a double-check, not a single check), do a view upcoming, and it is NOT THERE. But the Tivo will still think it recorded that show. I don't quite get why the Tivo doesn't check, right before it starts to record, if the show really still exists before it records it.

This can *also* end up with your recordings having the generic guide data, even if you cancelled that one and set another recording, it would have the full data.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #32
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
You might be right. I been trying to get instant email notifications for this site and I never receive anything. I guess the NSA forgot to forward them to me.
I haven't been able to get email notifications since Feb 2011, and they're not in the junk mail folder either. I just assumed that AT&T (Yahoo) blocked this site for some reason.

On a different note, one thing I like about WMC is the ability to schedule the guide updates. You can also force them via command line, so I used Task Scheduler to create a job that syncs the clock in the PC and updates the guide data at 4:00am & 4:00pm.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
Jed1

Something else that should be considered is Tribune Company, the owners of Tribune Media Services, has recently exited bankruptcy and is currently in the hands of its creditors. It is possible that there are changes being made to the divisions of Tribune, like staff being layed off, and maybe this is the new normal for guide data.
I noticed that TMS website is completely different and the list of customers they served fell by about half. I noticed Microsoft is no longer listed so I wonder what that may spell for WMC users.
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/...ment-data-apis
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/tivo
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It has been wonky the past week, but I hasten to add that this is VERY unusual...in fact, it's unusual to miss a day's data, ever.
It's not THAT unusual. This happens every once and awhile and TCF-ers start jumping off bridges....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Missing a day is unusual. Missing several days is VERY unusual.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #36
sieglinde

Once I found out neither of my Tivos was malfunctioning I did not care. I thought my modem had gone bad
Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #37
JoeKustra
Cable only

Just wondering if anyone still has the original (thread topic) problem?
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #38
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

My guide data is good out 13 days....

....and, Rob, I disagree

XL4
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
....and, Rob, I disagree
No, you don't.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
JoeKustra
Cable only

I had my normal randomly scheduled network update at 16:01 EDT. I just checked and my guide data is now 24 hours longer. I give up.

But it is a Friday.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #41
JWhites

Quote:
Something else that should be considered is Tribune Company, the owners of Tribune Media Services, has recently exited bankruptcy and is currently in the hands of its creditors. It is possible that there are changes being made to the divisions of Tribune, like staff being layed off, and maybe this is the new normal for guide data.
I noticed that TMS website is completely different and the list of customers they served fell by about half. I noticed Microsoft is no longer listed so I wonder what that may spell for WMC users.
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/...ment-data-apis
http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/tivo
Nice info, if only we could see the whole thing without it being truncated
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #42
sieglinde

Mine goes to 4:30 on July 11th which is 12 full days
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Mine goes to 4:30 on July 11th which is 12 full days
Your 4pm and my 7pm indicate that the TiVo guide's "day" starts at the same time across the country. Probably Hawai'i is 1pm or 2pm. Like TVGOS, the start time of the program is the cutoff, not the variable end times.

Too bad Canada uses our time zones. Anyone from Alaska care to comment since it is 1 hour before Hawai'i? Maybe someone from Atlantic TZ in Canada?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
Jed1

Well I got a guide data update on Friday which brought the data to 8 PM Thursday July 11th. I received another guide data update today but I only have data up 8 PM Friday July 12th. So instead of being one day behind after the guide update now I am two days behind.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #45
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Well I got a guide data update on Friday which brought the data to 8 PM Thursday July 11th. I received another guide data update today but I only have data up 8 PM Friday July 12th. So instead of being one day behind after the guide update now I am two days behind.

This thread is hilarious....

XL4
Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #46
HerronScott

Quote:
Umm what? My TiVo updated at 6:30am this morning and has guide data to about 7:30pm on July 12th so 12 full days ahead which is what it should be.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #47
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

This thread is hilarious....
And a lesson in what constitutes OCD, apparently.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #48
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And a lesson in what constitutes OCD, apparently.
I prefer "CDO," actually. "OCD" drives me crazy, with all those out-of-order letters...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #49
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I prefer "CDO," actually. "OCD" drives me crazy, with all those out-of-order letters...
I prefer COD so it passes a spell checker and speling mistakes drive me crazy.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #50
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I prefer COD so it passes a spell checker and speling mistakes drive me crazy.
This post explains a lot...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #51
sieglinde

LOL. worries about a possible modem malfunction added to this now amusing thread. As a nerd, I found the time zone differences interesting.