TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #31
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I suspect the reason a lot of people say that netflix streaming quality is okay is because they are watching it on a small computer monitor (or tablet computer or smartphone) which has very poor dynamic range.

If you watch the streaming video on a high quality display (not intended for computers, but for home theater) it is easy to spot the artifacts, especially in the dark scenes.
I watch on either of my 42" TV's using a PS3 or my Vizio GoogleTV. The GoogleTV box (wireless) is okay, gets the job done. Looks like it gets "up to" TV quality. It won't pre cache a following episode, or anything else.

In my opinion the PS3 is the best Netflix player out there (never seen it on an AppleTV) and it (to me anyway) looks better like greater quality than my Xbox 360. It will pre-cache the next episode so if I finish episode 3 and immediately start 4 it already has downloaded a chunk of it.

So what I'm saying is not all Netflix players/devices are created equal. If you think you're Netflix shows looks like poo, go to a friends house that has a different device and compare.

Last edited by robojerk : 02-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #32
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
If you watch the streaming video on a high quality display (not intended for computers, but for home theater) it is easy to spot the artifacts, especially in the dark scenes.
I can definitely see the artificating in dark areas on my Retina MacBook Pro. Still, it looks quite good most of the time and is more than "good enough" for me.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
USAFSSO

Wow, only took 2 posts to derail this into compression and Netflix business model.

I liked the first ep. Close to the original version, taking into account the different governments. Spacey is great in all he does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
I don't know about having all the episodes available at once. This makes it hard to discuss with friends and family, because they may not be at the same spot. The chance to spoil the plot is very high. Or even over-hearing people talking about it could ruin it.
I agree. For those of us who can't just devote a day and watch it as a marathon you're always left behind.

I was excited to see the calls for a thread per episode and bummed that it looks like it's been left behind. At least with a weekly show you can read a full-season thread by keeping tabs on the post dates but with this show I can't even open the TCF thread until I'm done.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote