TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
unitron

Is anyone watching Haven this season?

If there's a Season 4 thread, I can't find it.

Just finished watching episode 404 "Lost and Found" from last Friday, and I guess I'll have to spoilerize what I have to say.

Spoiler:
I'm not all that crazy about the current incarnation and I hope there's a plot twist very soon that at least forces her to lose the nose ring.

But other than that it's pretty interesting so far.

Spoiler:
Hate to see the guy from Eureka written out so soon though.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

I am. I guess I have to spoilerize my thoughts:

Spoiler:

My powers of observation are so bad that it wasn't until deep into the second episode that I finally realized that Lexie is Audrey.

I spend every scene that "Can't touch me girl" Jordan is in hoping somebody kills her or at least hits her with a 2x4. Man, I can't stand her or her knuckle dragging minions who just scowl and brandish weapons every moment they're on the screen.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
eddyj

I am also not happy with the current season and the arc. If we are going to have Jordan in every episode trying to just kill Nathan, I will just stop watching. Maybe Lexie will fall in love with her and then Jordan will have to be killed to stop the Troubles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
WO312

Still watching, and agree with you guys. The problem with Haven is the same problem with most shows with an arc - if they solve the problem the reason for the show goes away. So they keep coming up with dumb ideas to keep it going and never resolved. Gets old after a while.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Still watching, and agree with you guys. The problem with Haven is the same problem with most shows with an arc - if they solve the problem the reason for the show goes away. So they keep coming up with dumb ideas to keep it going and never resolved. Gets old after a while.
Huh, I think Haven is the exact opposite of that. They keep resolving things, but in ways that raise new issues.

If it were like, say, Burn Notice, then each season would have a fake resolution that wouldn't change the status quo. Here, the status quo changes...dramatically...every year. Things move along, and the things that happen have consequences. Burn Notice Audrey would never have gone into the Barn; that's the thing that the show was aiming at all along, and I was stunned that they actually DID it. Now, I'm very curious as to where they're going to go from here (since they've ended much of the show's original premise).
Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Huh, I think Haven is the exact opposite of that. They keep resolving things, but in ways that raise new issues.

If it were like, say, Burn Notice, then each season would have a fake resolution that wouldn't change the status quo. Here, the status quo changes...dramatically...every year. Things move along, and the things that happen have consequences. Burn Notice Audrey would never have gone into the Barn; that's the thing that the show was aiming at all along, and I was stunned that they actually DID it. Now, I'm very curious as to where they're going to go from here (since they've ended much of the show's original premise).
But that's my point. She went into the barn but it really didn't resolve anything, except give us a new mystery. They spent a long time bringing Audrey around and now they may spend another inordinate amount of time bringing whats-her-name around. The troubles are still there, and IMHO will always be there and never solved, unless they get to enjoy a series finale. But too many of these types of shows never get to a finale and leave us hanging.

But hey, we all have different opinions.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I agree about fixed arcs. This is just like what happenned to Fringe. Although in Fringe, I liked the reincarnation

Fringe was originally a group investigating something, I think they called 'Happenings', and i t turned into this alternate universe show.

Haven was a story (Colorado Kid) that had a mystery about Audry and the Town, and turned into something about 'Troubled People'

It is almost like a producer/director get a show based upon a premise that can only survive a few episodes or a season (their bible), so they go 'off the reservation' after that and hope others like it or it gets cancelled.

A few others like this:
Threshold
Lost
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I agree about fixed arcs. This is just like what happenned to Fringe. Although in Fringe, I liked the reincarnation

Fringe was originally a group investigating something, I think they called 'Happenings', and i t turned into this alternate universe show.

Haven was a story (Colorado Kid) that had a mystery about Audry and the Town, and turned into something about 'Troubled People'

It is almost like a producer/director get a show based upon a premise that can only survive a few episodes or a season (their bible), so they go 'off the reservation' after that and hope others like it or it gets cancelled.

A few others like this:
Threshold
Lost
Well the Colorado Kid story, at least the book, needs its own spoiler to reveal why King owes me a refund and by itself it would have been completely unsuitable for basing a show, or even a movie, on.

In fact, the series, which borrows the town and the guys putting out the paper from the book and almost nothing else, is the only good thing about the book, which could have been an okay book if King hadn't knifed the reader in the back.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I think the cast is great and that's why we keep watching.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

I'm still watching, but a little let down so far and it looks like I'm not alone.

Maybe it's me. I'm just starting to get tired of the "trouble of the week" setup. The arc leading up to and including the barn were pretty good, but when we came back it felt kind of anti-climactic.

Starting to doubt whether or not I'll stick with it. I stick with stuff way too long. Might be time to break that habit. Now is the time for Haven to really break out and become something special. I'm not feeling it.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
DouglasPHill

I thought the series ended last year.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
justen_m

Is Audrey coming back? Or is this a re-boot with Lexie? On a man-note... I prefer Lexie.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Is Audrey coming back? Or is this a re-boot with Lexie? On a man-note... I prefer Lexie.
Do you really want to know?
Spoiler:
As of the latest episode Audrey's back, but she's pretending to be Lexie to protect Nathan, since she has to kill the one she loves to end the Troubles, and Nathan is the one Audrey loves, not Lexie.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Do you really want to know?
Spoiler:
As of the latest episode Audrey's back, but she's pretending to be Lexie to protect Nathan, since she has to kill the one she loves to end the Troubles, and Nathan is the one Audrey loves, not Lexie.
That was an interesting reveal at the end.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
That was an interesting reveal at the end.
Yeah, the plot twist at the end of last Friday's ep, "The New Girl", was a pleasant surprise for me, and one I did not see coming until maybe a few seconds before it happened.

I have to wonder if maybe they originally intended to go in the direction it looked like they were going, and feedback from someone convinced them to abandon that idea.

I need to start a separate "Here be spoilers" thread for S4, so we can actually talk about this stuff.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nathan could bore a zombie to death.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #17
unitron

Performing CPR here to mention that if you quit watching before William came back into the picture you missed some fair sized plot twists, but the season finale sets up a situation where the logical thing to do is not what's going to be done for reasons external to the storyline itself, so the next season is either going to be a tour de force by the writers or excruciating to watch.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

Do you mind posting a spoilered explanation? I haven't watched most of the season and don't really plan to.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
Do you mind posting a spoilered explanation? I haven't watched most of the season and don't really plan to.
Spoilerized I could do, but that's a lot of condensing I'd rather not spend a few hours editing, especially as your level of enthusiasm for the show seems low enough that I probably wouldn't change your mind about no longer following it.

I'm sure there must be other places online where people talk about the show, so I'll just say that a number of people and things in Haven aren't necessarily as we have been led to believe so far.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
DouglasPHill

I thought Haven ended at the end of last season. Did not even bother with this season until someone here mentioned that it was still on. Got a bunch of them recorded but just like W13, they put me to sleep. Have no idea whats going on except that Audrey is acting as Lacey or something like that.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #21
bengalfreak

This season was a big pile of dog doo. Really bad. I see it getting worse.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #22
bicker
Gruff

I really enjoyed parts of this past season, especially
Spoiler:
those points in time when Audrey was pretending to be Lexie.
I think though to enjoy this season you had to be watching Haven because you were interested specifically in the Audrey character, and intrigued by the William character, with a healthy dose of tolerance for the distractions of other characters being on-screen, rather than because you were interested in the "Troubles" mythos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote