TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
mtoy

Help - do I have the wrong part?

I'm replacing my TIVOHD original hard drive with a WD10EURS 1TB. I'm using a Windows laptop and WinMFS. To connect the drives to the laptop I bought a Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter. I can't figure out how to attach it to the hard drive, the parts just don't fit. Did I buy the wrong thing? What about the smaller pieces in the box, do use those? You can tell I've never done this before.

I looked through the adapter thread but I can't figure it out, those seems to be for desktops. I was hoping to get this done today...what do I need?
mtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

Sounds like you bought an adapter for a 2.5" laptop drive and not a 3.5" desktop drive. The IDE/SATA connectors on the two types of drives are different and will only work with the specific type of drive it's designed for. The USB connections are universal. I'm guessing that you thought you needed a laptop adapter since you planned on using your laptop for the process. As for what's in the box, I have no idea what those might be since I don't own the particular adapter you mentioned and I can't see the box from my location.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
lpwcomp

What exact model adapter did you buy? It sounds like you may have gotten one for a laptop drive, which is wrong.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
mtoy

Whew, it's the right thing. I dug around on YouTube and found something that showed how to use one. Thanks for being there to help though!
mtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
banjomaniac

Don't forget to run as administrator in winmfs or it won't show up.

Banjomaniac
banjomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I have two of those adapters, each one a different brand. They both came with all of the connections for large IDE (3.5 inch drives), small IDE (2.5 inch drives?), and standard size SATA. Not sure if newer laptops use the micro SATA but these cables don't have that.