TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
haplo888

Video Errors with Verizon Fios - XL4

We've had our XL4 for about 2 months, first with RCN and now with Verizon FIOS.

With RCN our HD UI was a bit slugggish due to some higher RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected under the diagnostics screen (lots of wires in a multi-family). But there were no video problems.

Then we had lots of installation problems with FIOS in our new home. The techs were VERY anti-Tivo and wouldn't even check our signal at our Tivo location.

The RS Uncorrected and RS corrected initially were 10x worse going from 5,000s with RCN to 50,000s with FIOS and we are getting lots of video errors: pixelation, skips in live and recorded shows, sound cutting out, ect.

After 3 FIOS techs coming to our house the RSes are now down to the same levels we had with cable - but the video errors persist.

I've read that the FIOS signal can be a bit hot for the XL4s and some have suggested using attenuators. Our SNR is a bit high at 37-38, optimal being 34. So I tried a 3DB and then a 3+6DB attenuators and our SNR barely moved at all, still 36-37, mostly 37.

Have others experienced the same problems with FIOS? And how much DB in attenuators should I be trying to bring the signal down to Tivo range?

Thanks,
Haplo
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

My SNR is between 36 and 38. Mostly 37 and 38. And this is after running through at least an eight way splitter. But I've not had any issues like that with my Elites. I only gets those errors when the channel is first changed. Then the number does not increase any.

Now I did have a bunch of errors when my signal was too low, but that had to do with my ONT and that had to be replaced. But before it was replaced half my channels were gone and the ones that were left had a low signal. And I had a bunch of errors then that kept increasing.

They had replaced my BPON ONT earlier in the year(well the guts of it). And a few weeks ago my ONT was changed out again to a GPON ONT. But I have not checked the SNR since then. But I have not seen any video problems either.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Did the attenuators reduce the video glitches at all? If a hot signal is the problem, it can be a little bit of a game. Just have to play with different attenuation levels until you find an optimal one for your setup.

My setup works well enough with just 3db. Some may need more. Some don't need any. I've always heard the SNR sweet spot was 36 for a Tivo, but I'm usually at 37 personally.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
shamilian

RS uncorrected error => video errors, if you cant get uncorrected errors down you will not get rid of video errors

Don't just rely on the SNR value. Look at the signal level on at least 3 different frequencies ( channels ) low, medium, and high ranges.

Add attenuators until the SNR goes down to 33,34 or signal drops to about 70%.

I have added 12db on some of my lines and that is after it was split a few times.

You should also check the condition of the splitters and cable ends as they can cause problems too....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
tivosupport_taylor
TiVo Representative

TiVo Support is aware that some users are having an issue where channels appear to stop tuning properly at random and where video is restored via a reboot or reseating of the CableCARD. TiVo would like to resolve this issue for our customers and, if you are experiencing this problem, we could use your help.

If you are experiencing issues related to tuning on your Premiere 4 or XL4 that is temporarily resolved after a reboot, we would like your help in capturing some information and diagnostic logs from your DVR.

Please PRIVATE-MESSAGE one of the following TiVo Support Employees.

• tivosupport_jessica
• tivosupport_spencer
• tivosupport_taylor
• tivosupport_eric

Please let them know your…

• TSN or TiVo Serial Number
• How often the issue occurs
• Which channels drop
• Any other details you wish to share

Please do not publicly post your account information. We would like to protect the privacy of your account.

Thank you.
tivosupport_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
vurbano

So much for looking at an xl4 with TiVo minis. At least my 3 premiere units work. TiVo does need a 6 tuner model though like dish hopper and the Q from ceton.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Th Dish Hopper only has three tuners.

It looks like it actually has more tuners because one is used to record all the local programming, but that is all parsed from one stream from one tuner.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
So much for looking at an xl4 with TiVo minis. At least my 3 premiere units work. TiVo does need a 6 tuner model though like dish hopper and the Q from ceton.
Does the Q even have a release date?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Does the Q even have a release date?
This fall according to the website. Does the TiVo mini even have a release date?

Last edited by vurbano : 09-23-2012 at 04:29 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote