TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #31
snerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And you have something providing an active video signal into the TiVo's video input jack (yellow RCA jack) or its S-Video input jack?
Yup
snerkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkman View Post
Yup
Okay, I'm officially stumped.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #33
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:
I let it finish guided setup overnight then went to the video settings to change from S-video to composite input. Damn if it isn't working now! Very likely was the power supply. Thanks for all your help, unitron
It couldn't still be a power supply problem? Or the connection to the power supply? Or maybe I didn't read the whole thread properly.
I have a bunch of Toshibas, Humaxs, and a Pioneer DVD TiVos, and they are funny how they will only work for the three RCA connections sometimes and only the coax connections other times. I have given up trying to understand why and just connect to whatever works.
Have you tried connecting to a antenna digital converter box? I don't know why that would make a difference, but that is what I use and they all work with converter boxes.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
snerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
It couldn't still be a power supply problem? Or the connection to the power supply? Or maybe I didn't read the whole thread properly.
I have a bunch of Toshibas, Humaxs, and a Pioneer DVD TiVos, and they are funny how they will only work for the three RCA connections sometimes and only the coax connections other times. I have given up trying to understand why and just connect to whatever works.
Have you tried connecting to a antenna digital converter box? I don't know why that would make a difference, but that is what I use and they all work with converter boxes.
I plan to open it up again today and check power supply connections. Maybe put the original one back in? The problem with using other inputs, is the new Directv receivers no longer have rf or s-video outs. They only have composite, component and hdmi so I have to get it to work with composite. I have other workings units, but this one has the lifetime sub.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #35
snerkman

Just swapped in another known good power supply and still have the same problem
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
snerkman

Next I tried going thru guided setup again with basic cable on the rf in. Same searching for signal message. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Next I tried going thru guided setup again with basic cable on the rf in. Same searching for signal message. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
If you can't even get it to find analog cable on the tuner's input, it may be time to learn how to move crypto chips between same model motherboards.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
snerkman

Quote:
If you can't even get it to find analog cable on the tuner's input, it may be time to learn how to move crypto chips between same model motherboards.
I'm thinking that too. But it did work at one point. Which tells me it should work again. I've had other units that did the searching for signal thing and after rebooting would find the signal and work fine. This unit should too.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
unitron

Quote:
I'm thinking that too. But it did work at one point. Which tells me it should work again. I've had other units that did the searching for signal thing and after rebooting would find the signal and work fine. This unit should too.
Go through GS again, tell it you only have analog cable with no box and feed something into the tuner that looks like an active channel 3 or channel 4 signal.

See if that works and we'll go more complex from there.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
snerkman

How is that different from what I just did?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #41
unitron

Quote:
How is that different from what I just did?
Okay, you went through GS with something hooked to the tuner's RF input with a signal on it and told the TiVo that you have cable, not satellite, and it can't find the signal coming into the tuner and it's saying, not no satellite input, but no cable input?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #42
snerkman

Quote:
Okay, you went through GS with something hooked to the tuner's RF input with a signal on it and told the TiVo that you have cable, not satellite, and it can't find the signal coming into the tuner and it's saying, not no satellite input, but no cable input?
Correct. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my earlier post.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #43
nmiller855

I take the easy way out & send them to a repair facility.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
snerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I take the easy way out & send them to a repair facility.
Can I have them send the bill to you?

I've never paid someone else to fix something I can fix myself. And with the internet, I've learned how to fix many things I wouldn't have been able to before. The reason I have these particular units is that they have free Tivo basic. I would rather use a vcr than pay for dvr service. TV is already way too expensive and I don't have HD or any premium channels. But I was lucky enough to find a couple with the lifetime paid sub. Just can't get this one to see an input.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #45
unitron

Quote:
Can I have them send the bill to you?

I've never paid someone else to fix something I can fix myself. And with the internet, I've learned how to fix many things I wouldn't have been able to before. The reason I have these particular units is that they have free Tivo basic. I would rather use a vcr than pay for dvr service. TV is already way too expensive and I don't have HD or any premium channels. But I was lucky enough to find a couple with the lifetime paid sub. Just can't get this one to see an input.
Suggest you learn about unsoldering and re-soldering Surface Mount Devices.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #46
nmiller855

I 'might' be able to fix one myself but I'm afraid I would mess it up & make it completely unusable. I'm way too attached to my units to risk that. The last one that was repaired had the'power supply replaced, 2nd tuner fixed & new hard drive installed. I think the price I paid was well worth it because all I had to do was plug it in & do one guided setup before it wad running perfectly.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote