TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Tivo HD keeps restarting

My Tivo HD keeps freezing (image freezes on screen) and then rebooting. I can watch it for about five minutes after it reboots and then the cycle starts again.

To make a long story short, I'm curious as to whether a lack of sufficient power to the Tivo could cause it to restart. It's getting power, but I'm wondering if a new receiver could be causing the Tivo to not get enough power, which might lead to the reboots.

Here is the longer version of the story:

I've read the old thread on this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=393114

I think my problem may be different, though - in that thread the problems seem to be related to either a 2008 software update and/or bad hard drives - and was hoping for some feedback from people who know more about this stuff than I do.

I got a new receiver a few days ago. The problem never occurred before that, so that makes me think the receiver has something to do with it. The hard drive could certainly have gone bad, but that's quite a coincidence.

I have an old APC UPS in my home entertainment center where the battery died and some of the outlets don't work. I plugged a power strip into one of the working outlets and plugged my stuff into the power strip. This was a few years ago, and I've never had any problems.

I'm wondering, though, whether maybe my new Onkyo receiver could be drawing more juice than my old JVC receiver which could be causing the Tivo to get insufficient power and would cause the restarts. Before I spend $200 or whatever on a new UPS, I thought I'd check to see if I'm onto something or if the problem has to be something else (like the hard drive).
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

First, take the UPS out of the equation. Plug the power strip directly into the wall outlet.
Note the results and get back to us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
First, take the UPS out of the equation. Plug the power strip directly into the wall outlet.
Note the results and get back to us.
I removed the UPS and am just using the power strip. It's the same - it freezes and restarts every few minutes. It's been without the UPS for about 24 hours now. I can tell it's been doing this all day from all of the partially recorded shows I have, plus trying to watch it live now (so much for watching Game of Thrones tonight).

One other thing I didn't mention before: I have one of the Western Digital Tivo add-on hard drives attached to the Tivo. I've had it for a few years and have never had a problem with it, but I know that's another variable.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. Having an attached external hard drive makes things harder to diagnose since the hard drives are married and a failure on either one will cause the whole system to fail.

I would first try using the kickstart diagostics.
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
I believe the tests include the external when attached.
If you are willing to lose recordings, you could try and divorce the expander drive and see if the Tivo operates normally without it.
You can try replacing the cable that connects the external drive to the Tivo. If you are using the cable that came with the external drive, then let it be known that that has been a problem for some users and replacing the cable solved the problem.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. Having an attached external hard drive makes things harder to diagnose since the hard drives are married and a failure on either one will cause the whole system to fail.

I would first try using the kickstart diagostics.
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
I believe the tests include the external when attached.
If you are willing to lose recordings, you could try and divorce the expander drive and see if the Tivo operates normally without it.
You can try replacing the cable that connects the external drive to the Tivo. If you are using the cable that came with the external drive, then let it be known that that has been a problem for some users and replacing the cable solved the problem.
Thanks. I've got it running the overnight tests on the hard drive, so I'll see what it says tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Thanks. I've got it running the overnight tests on the hard drive, so I'll see what it says tomorrow.
I ran the overnight test and got a "test failed" message. I couldn't get it to do anything after that so I pulled the plug and restarted it. Is there a built-in feature that can attempt to correct the error?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Someone else will chime in, but I would think that hdb is the external drive. I would retest without it being attached. Which model is it (500 or 1tb)?

You can download the drive mfr tool to a pc to attempt to fix.

If external drive problem, I would divorce it and upgrade your internal drive instead.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Someone else will chime in, but I would think that hdb is the external drive. I would retest without it being attached. Which model is it (500 or 1tb)?

You can download the drive mfr tool to a pc to attempt to fix.

If external drive problem, I would divorce it and upgrade your internal drive instead.
It's the 500GB model. That was the only one available when I got it.

I've done some hard drive upgrades on older Tivos, but I bought this one new and didn't want to void the warranty right after I bought it so that's why I got the add-on drive.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I disconnect the external drive, does that wipe out everything on it (and the Tivo)? What about if I unplug the Tivo and then disconnect the external drive - then I should be able to test/repair the external drive and hook it back up without losing anything, right? I have some stuff saved that I may try to rescue before going any further. Probably can't do it but I'll try.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

If you read these boards, you'll find that the 500GB models can have issues over time. I cannot recollect anyone replacing their external drive from the case while copying over shows. I would search this topic on this site, but I think you may be hosed.

If it were me, I would see if you could move your content to a PC if possible, then disconnect the drive. The consensus was that this failure is due to overheating, so make sure it is not in an entertainment center.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
If you read these boards, you'll find that the 500GB models can have issues over time. I cannot recollect anyone replacing their external drive from the case while copying over shows. I would search this topic on this site, but I think you may be hosed.

If it were me, I would see if you could move your content to a PC if possible, then disconnect the drive. The consensus was that this failure is due to overheating, so make sure it is not in an entertainment center.
Thanks for the info. It is in a cabinet with a bunch of other stuff, but there's space around it and the cabinet has an open back. As mentioned, I've used it for years with no issues. I know hard drives can give out at any time, but in my mind the location of it should be OK or I would have had issues a long time ago.

I'm going to try moving the stuff I want to save to my PC.