TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
rucheridee

Question Should VPN work over Moca???

I have cablevision/optimum online. Over the weekend, the tech was out for a cable modem issue. While he was here, I had him install the Moca POE filter outside the house before the 3-way splitter into the house.

The tech waited around to see that the Tivo and internet worked. However, I forgot to check my VPN access to work

Do you think the filter I have is somewhat of a dud? The cable guy that came out 2 weeks ago tested it first and told me it would block everything so he didn't install it. So he may be partially right, in that it is blocking more than it should. I had posted on this forum and someone suggested to just "test" putting the filter just before the Tivo and see what happens. Since that worked, I had the tech install it this time and told him I had just "tested" it before he came.

Help please! I need to get my VPN working. I don't have any tools so I can't easily take that filter on/off.
rucheridee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I cannot imagine there being any relation to the POE filter and your VPN not working, if otherwise your internet service continues to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
tatergator1

If your general internet access, i.e. websites, downloads, etc. is normal, the VPN issue is not caused by the POE filter.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
rucheridee

I took the MOCA off and set Tivo to work over Ethernet only. Still no VPN access.
So I shutdown the Tivo, rebooted everything, but left Tivo off just in case... Still no VPN.

I can get to the internet just fine. I can see in my VPN client window, the bars are just about nill. Usually the bars are real high and show lots of activity even when I'm not really doing anything. I've never seen little blips with lots of blank space between each blip before!

What else can I do or try?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
rucheridee

So I was tooling around the VPN client and noticed there was an Internet Only profile. I tried that and was able to access the internet via VPN. So knowing the VPN client at least worked for Internet Only access, I called my company's helpdesk.

We tried a few things which didn't work so support had me install the latest VPN client (which was 1+ versions higher). I'm back in business baby! Now I have to switch the Tivo back to Ethernet + Moca, but I'm so relieved I have VPN access again without having to uninstall the POE filter!

The cable guy replaced the 3-way splitter outside this past weekend. Do you think that might've been the issue as opposed to the POE filter? So even if I had gone thru all the trouble to remove the POE filter, I still may had not been able to connect via VPN.

Now if I can only get pyTivoX working again (see my other post ) !

Last edited by rucheridee : 01-27-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucheridee View Post
So I was tooling around the VPN client and noticed there was an Internet Only profile. I tried that and was able to access the internet via VPN. So knowing the VPN client at least worked for Internet Only access, I called my company's helpdesk.

We tried a few things which didn't work so support had me install the latest VPN client (which was 1+ versions higher). I'm back in business baby! Now I have to switch the Tivo back to Ethernet + Moca, but I'm so relieved I have VPN access again without having to uninstall the POE filter!

The cable guy replaced the 3-way splitter outside this past weekend. Do you think that might've been the issue as opposed to the POE filter? So even if I had gone thru all the trouble to remove the POE filter, I still may had not been able to connect via VPN.

Now if I can only get pyTivoX working again (see my other post ) !
If you have a working internet connection from your computer, splitters, POE filters, and MOCA devices cannot be affecting your VPN -- the problem will lie elsewhere. It'll just be coincidence or something else you inadvertently adjusted on your computer around the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
rucheridee

Well I was already having issues getting out to internet via VPN with the laptop connecting to my iphone5 hotspot, but never an issue on home network. I thought it was just locked down or the dell I got this year just sucked even more (had to return it twice). So there was probably some underlying issue all along that didn't come to light until all the new hardware & network config was introduced.

Also the tech that came 3 weeks ago said the filter was no good, as per his test equipment. So that's what I was afraid of - that he was right all along & I just screwed myself. The same filter is what is currently installed now. Someone else from this forum suggested to "test" it first indoor & return it if I get no signal. Since it seemed to work indoors, I stuck with it.

The TV seems to be clearer too now even on the regular channels like ch4(480i) vs ch704 (1040i). The pic was soo bad on the lower def channels that I was recording everything in HI-def. I moved just about all my season passes to low def now. I guess all the new equipment all around is working for me now