TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
I found a Tivo

I found a series 2 Tivo in a parking lot the other day. I don't have high hopes for it being any good but you never know. What is the easiest and quickest way to find out if it is in working condition and what it's status is. I am on Verizon Fios. I haven't messed with any Tivo's for a few years and I can't remember what all is involved with hook up. Thanks for any help,

Ray

Since I first posted this, I plugged the box into power and the cooling fan doesn't spin and there is no activity on the front panel. I would imagine this is why it was lying in the spot where I found it. I guess I'll just cannibalize it for the h/d and move on. But if I'm missing anything let me know.

R

Well, I guess it doesn't much matter now. I took it apart and did some testing. It seems the power supply is bad. So, it's just parts now. But thanks to all who read my post.

R

Last edited by socaltoolguy : 10-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
If you can still read the Tivo Service Number on the back, you can call TiVo to see if it has lifetime or not.

Odds are it doesn't have lifetime (or the person who ditched it didn't know what he had).

It would be worth fixing if it has lifetime service on it.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Thanks for the info. All the tags are in like new condition so all the info is there. Who do I call? What is the ph. # and what dept. should I ask for? I hate being such a bother but if you can help cut down the search time it would be great.

R
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
1-877-367-8486

Just talk to the person that answers the phone.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Thanks Steve. I did as you suggested and found that it doesn't have the lifetime and the last time it was active was in 2009. I also found a power supply on ebay for $15 but I must ask myself how much I need to fix this thing. I think I'll just remove the h/d and use it for something else. Oh well, it was worth the time and effort to get this far. Thanks again for your help.

Ray
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
Thanks Steve. I did as you suggested and found that it doesn't have the lifetime and the last time it was active was in 2009. I also found a power supply on ebay for $15 but I must ask myself how much I need to fix this thing. I think I'll just remove the h/d and use it for something else. Oh well, it was worth the time and effort to get this far. Thanks again for your help.

Ray
Yeah, without lifetime it probably isn't worth the $15 that the power supply would cost you. The drive may or may not be any good but it's probably not much use because it's almost certainly a very small IDE drive.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Yeah, without lifetime it probably isn't worth the $15 that the power supply would cost you. The drive may or may not be any good but it's probably not much use because it's almost certainly a very small IDE drive.
It's an 80 gig so I will just use it to back something up or ????? At the price of free I'll find a use for it. Thanks for your input though.

R
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
It's an 80 gig so I will just use it to back something up or ????? At the price of free I'll find a use for it. Thanks for your input though.

R
Am I the only one who was hearing "Found a TiVo, found a TiVo, found a TiVo just now. I just now found a TiVo, found a TiVo just now. Cracked it open..." and so on? Am I showing my age?
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Am I the only one who was hearing "Found a TiVo, found a TiVo, found a TiVo just now. I just now found a TiVo, found a TiVo just now. Cracked it open..." and so on? Am I showing my age?
Now that you point it out...

I will say I would do nothing different if I were in the OPs position. You never know.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
I found a series 2 Tivo in a parking lot the other day...........
Really? Was it properly parked? Surprising it hadn't been run over and flattened Are you leveling with us? Typically old Series 2 TiVo's are obtained by a hand off from a mysterious stranger in a trench coat in an alley on a dark rainy night.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
I found a series 2 Tivo in a parking lot the other day. I don't have high hopes for it being any good but you never know. What is the easiest and quickest way to find out if it is in working condition and what it's status is. I am on Verizon Fios. I haven't messed with any Tivo's for a few years and I can't remember what all is involved with hook up. Thanks for any help,

Ray

Since I first posted this, I plugged the box into power and the cooling fan doesn't spin and there is no activity on the front panel. I would imagine this is why it was lying in the spot where I found it. I guess I'll just cannibalize it for the h/d and move on. But if I'm missing anything let me know.

R

Well, I guess it doesn't much matter now. I took it apart and did some testing. It seems the power supply is bad. So, it's just parts now. But thanks to all who read my post.

R
There's a model number on the sticker on the back that starts with TCD.

What's the rest of it?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Hi Unitron, thanks and here is the number. TCD649080.

Ray
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Really? Was it properly parked? Surprising it hadn't been run over and flattened Are you leveling with us? Typically old Series 2 TiVo's are obtained by a hand off from a mysterious stranger in a trench coat in an alley on a dark rainy night.
I wouldn't joke about something so serious. I did look around and over my shoulder before touching it. My wife thinks I'm a dumpster diver. Oh well......

R
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
Hi Unitron, thanks and here is the number. TCD649080.

Ray
That (and its larger hard drived lookalike, the TCD649180) is the last of the Series 2s, the Dual Tuner, or S2 DT as we often call it here.

It's also the first I've heard of the S2 DT having a power supply problem.

The single tuner S2s, and the S3s, yes, due to the capacitor thing, but so far the DT had seemed immune.

If the power supply is completely dead, check and see if the only problem is the fuse being blown.

Don't dumpster it just yet.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That (and its larger hard drived lookalike, the TCD649180) is the last of the Series 2s, the Dual Tuner, or S2 DT as we often call it here.

It's also the first I've heard of the S2 DT having a power supply problem.

The single tuner S2s, and the S3s, yes, due to the capacitor thing, but so far the DT had seemed immune.

If the power supply is completely dead, check and see if the only problem is the fuse being blown.

Don't dumpster it just yet.
Well, I screwed up when I tried to diagnose the problem I thought the fuse might be the problem too so I bypassed it. When I plugged in the power cord, I got a spark from the area of a small transformer. I figured that probably did it in. I can get a power supply from ebay for about $15 plus shipping but is it worth the cost? I, at some point, want to set up my home with Tivo's again and connect them wirelessly but I haven't acquired all the stuff yet. I'm still looking for the right deal on a Premier with lifetime. I have a TCD652160 Hd unit that I picked up from ebay but I don't want it to be my primary subscription. Anyway, if I was to fix this S2 what would I use it for? It won't record HD. I guess I could use it out in my shop. Any suggestions?

R
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
I wouldn't joke about something so serious. I did look around and over my shoulder before touching it. My wife thinks I'm a dumpster diver. Oh well......
Food for thought .... a convenient alternative to finding an electronic equipment disposal site! Parking garages would probably also do.

I have a perfectly functioning S2DT that's been shelved for over 3 years now after replacing it with a TiVo HD. I haven't thought of anything to do with it that's worth the subscription price but can't bring myself to junk it either. And what little I could sell it for isn't worth the bother.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Really? Was it properly parked? Surprising it hadn't been run over and flattened
What surprises me is someone hadn't called a tow truck to tow it away.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
socaltoolguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Food for thought .... a convenient alternative to finding an electronic equipment disposal site! Parking garages would probably also do.

I have a perfectly functioning S2DT that's been shelved for over 3 years now after replacing it with a TiVo HD. I haven't thought of anything to do with it that's worth the subscription price but can't bring myself to junk it either. And what little I could sell it for isn't worth the bother.
I know exactly how you feel. That's why we all end up with more junk than we need. If I don't do anything else with this thing I will scavenge the hard drive out of it. I don't need it but it might come in handy for something or somebody. And after I get what I want out of it, I'll find a convenient parking lot and pass it along to someone else.

R
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |