TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
uspsrt

tivo apps issue

I am using a Motorola sbg900 cable modem connected directly to a tivo premiere. In order to access netflix on the tivo I have to set the firewall on the modem to off. I have tried to use custom settings on the modem by finding the ports that need to be open in the port configuration test and making sure they are open but to no avail. The only way to not get the dreaded black screen is to have the firewall set to off. Is this unsafe if you have a software firewall enabled on your computer. I have tried to use a different (low,medium or high) setting on the modem but no setting except off will allow access to netflix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
uspsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
dsnotgood

just get a cheap wireless router instead and connect the modem to that. That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue. Also if you turn your firewall off it won't really matter since tivo will most likely not be hacked via web
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
uspsrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
just get a cheap wireless router instead and connect the modem to that. That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue. Also if you turn your firewall off it won't really matter since tivo will most likely not be hacked via web

Ok. Would it be unsafe for a computer to access this network wirelessly. Right now I'm using the modem's wireless capability for my desktop.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspsrt View Post
Ok. Would it be unsafe for a computer to access this network wirelessly. Right now I'm using the modem's wireless capability for my desktop.
I think you should be okay. Your computer most likely already has a firewall too. A rotuer is just another layer of firewall.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
How exactly would that solve the issue? He'd still have to disable the firewall.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
How exactly would that solve the issue? He'd still have to disable the firewall.
I think dsnotgood meant, disable the firewall and router portions of the sbg900 and replace them with your own router (which will have a firewall). Dsnotgood meant that it would most likely be due to an incompatibility of the Tivo w/ the sbg900.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
I think dsnotgood meant, disable the firewall and router portions of the sbg900 and replace them with your own router (which will have a firewall). Dsnotgood meant that it would most likely be due to an incompatibility of the Tivo w/ the sbg900.
I doubt it. dsnotgood does not seem to realize that the sbg900 is a router. It simply lacks the integrated 4-port switch that most separately purchased routers or service provided modem/routers have. The sentence "That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue." shows that he does not understand what the problem is. The problem is the firewall, not the fact that the TiVo is the only equipment physically connected. If it were, simply adding a separate switch would "solve the problem". No need to buy a new wireless router.

To the OP: Check out this thread and see if it is helpful.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
uspsrt

[quote=lpwcomp;9385175]I doubt it. dsnotgood does not seem to realize that the sbg900 is a router. It simply lacks the integrated 4-port switch that most separately purchased routers or service provided modem/routers have. The sentence "That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue." shows that he does not understand what the problem is. The problem is the firewall, not the fact that the TiVo is the only equipment physically connected. If it were, simply adding a separate switch would "solve the problem". No need to buy a new wireless router.

Success! The link did contain the correct information. Almost. I opened the ports that were listed there, then went to the tivo information regarding ports that needed to be open and noticed that there were three ports that were not listed in the link. I added those and it worked immediately. I want to thank those that responded.