TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Thunderclap

Cutting the Cord

I finally did it. After the latest Comcast (insult) price I finally had enough. My combo bill of digital economy with HD and Internet jumped $10 to $99 in the last month, and up from $73 two years ago. With the exception of my wife's cooking shows and my kids occasional Disney Channel viewing, 90% of what we watch is on network television. The only major show I'm losing is The Daily Show, but that is available online. Comcast tried to convince me to stay with their basic for $15 + $10 for HD, but why spend $25/month when I get that for free OTA?

I tried cutting the cord a couple years back but the antenna I tried wasn't very good. But I recently checked again and found a really well reviewed antenna in the Mohu Leaf, so I ordered it and installed it last night. Perfect picture clarity and it's not an eyesore, so this is definitely the way to go.

I was reading updating my shows on Season Pass Manager, but once I changed the Tivo's setting the Season Pass Manager auto updated accordingly making my life a thousand times easier.

So Thank You Tivo for doing that.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
spaldingclan

yeah, I cut the cord 14 months ago and besides the HGTV shows and kids shows on Disney (though they get all that stuff via NEtflix) we don't miss a thing.
my Directv bill went from $110 a month to $7.99 for Netflix, and $24.98 for 2 tivo's (one premiere and one Tivo HD)
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Jebberwocky!

I only miss the sports.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
I only miss the sports.
Well, I'm not much of a sports guy so that was a non-issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
lujan

Yeah, I would have loved to cut the chord but couldn't because Comcast is basically my only choice for internet (no good competition in my area). I have the internet plus basic cable for $14.95 more. It would cost more to pay the internet alone without the basic cable so I kept the basic cable.
7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
abqdan

Comcast is our only choice for high speed internet, but we cut the cord anyway. Comcast bumped up our internet to $70 a month (because they can) but we are still saving over our old cable bill of $150 a month. We added HuluPlus and Netflix for a combined $16 a month, so our final saving over cable TV was over $60 a month, or over $700 a year. We bought a Tivo Premier (I wish it had four tuners for antenna!) and bought the lifetime service. So we'll have saved back the cost of the Tivo ($600) in the first year. Netflix + HuluPlus + antenna gives us more content than we could ever watch.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote