TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Tivo teams up with Paypal.....

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...?tag=cnetRiver

Tivo seems to be itching to get back into the shopping arena again. Didn't they try something with Amazon many years ago?

It's an interesting revenue stream for advertisers and I suspect it won't make broadcasters very happy.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
unitron

Perhaps this will require the newer models of TiVos to work, thus making the older ones even more valuable as they won't be subjected to the ads.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo already has my credit card, so I'm not sure why they need PayPal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...?tag=cnetRiver

Tivo seems to be itching to get back into the shopping arena again. Didn't they try something with Amazon many years ago?

It's an interesting revenue stream for advertisers and I suspect it won't make broadcasters very happy.
Why would broadcasters have a problem with it? If it makes commercials actually work then they become more valuable. Thus, broadcasters would love it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Good idea. See a movie advertised in showcases, you're able to buy the ticket right then.
I commented to TiVo through one of their surveys that I'd like to see more use of the Showcases by advertising new movies and upcoming TV shows.
Hopefully they are taking my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101
Didn't they try something with Amazon many years ago?
The only thing I know of is Amazon VOD where you can rent or purchase movies and TV for the Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
etz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
TiVo already has my credit card, so I'm not sure why they need PayPal.
They have my card too......the one that was in effect when I purchased lifetime service. Can't buy anything with that now though.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
etz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The only thing I know of is Amazon VOD where you can rent or purchase movies and TV for the Tivo.
Wasn't there some stupid thing where you could order pizza or something?
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
parzec
Wizard of Oz

How many partnerships has Tivo announced in the past that never amounted to anything? Butt if this actually happens, it could be interesting....I actually click quite a few of their free offers....might be tempted to click some pay ones, too.
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed

Last edited by parzec : 06-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps this will require the newer models of TiVos to work, thus making the older ones even more valuable as they won't be subjected to the ads.
Lol! Tivo can't figure out how to make their mobile apps work properly with anything older than a Premier...but something tells me that if this Paypal deal happens, it will work in almost every model except the most ancient. Where there a will, there is a way.......
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
Good idea. See a movie advertised in showcases, you're able to buy the ticket right then.
I commented to TiVo through one of their surveys that I'd like to see more use of the Showcases by advertising new movies and upcoming TV shows.
Hopefully they are taking my advice.

It seems TiVo may or may not have done this. I honestly don't remember it ever happening. I think I only remember the announcement. Can anyone confirm if this actually happened?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326249,00.asp
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Didn't they try something with Amazon many years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I've used the Amazon VOD a couple of times but not recently so don't know if anything has changed. It required going into your Amazon account and setting things up so when the request came through your Tivo it would automatically get billed to your Amazon account. Doesn't sound like quite the same deal as the PayPal thing.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
seattlewendell

Yes it did happen for very very brief period of time. When watching a TV commercial a thumbs up would appear in the upper right-hand corner, when you hit the thumbs up button, it took you to a screen where you could buy the product. It was not a great experience. It was a little bit like hitting a bullet, with a bullet. You had to have an Amazon account, linked to your TiVo, with one click enabled. One click is not enabled by default because it lets you bypass the checkout process.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I've used the Amazon VOD a couple of times but not recently so don't know if anything has changed. It required going into your Amazon account and setting things up so when the request came through your Tivo it would automatically get billed to your Amazon account. Doesn't sound like quite the same deal as the PayPal thing.
See the link in post #10. The Paypal thing is very similar to the Amazon thing that no longer exists.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
See the link in post #10. The Paypal thing is very similar to the Amazon thing that no longer exists.
Ah, ok, I was fixating on the Amazon VOD thing, not on the ability to buy other products.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
shipspeed

yeah, wouldn't it be easier for tivo to bill my credit card on files vs. entering in my paypal credentials?
shipspeed is offline   Reply With Quote