Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #31
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I find that now have a little bit of trouble following complex shows so I like the idea of watching a whole season in a couple of weeks. However, I would go insane with the clutter of all those shows collecting up, plus I only have the 320gb hard drives on both of my Tivos.

With having over 200 SPs on the two Tivos, and even considering the fact that every show isn't airing current episodes at any given time of course, I'd run out of space quickly since about 98% of them are on HD channels.

So, what I do a lot is to watch a current episode, then delete it and leave it in my deleted folder. Then, shortly before the next ep, I will pull it back up and watch again. That helps me keep up without causing the 'clutter' that would make me crazy.

I don't do this with everything, but with some of the more complex, and my favorites. Stuff I watch like real crime shows on the ID channel, sitcoms, and fluff, I can easily keep up on without binge-watching or having to watch again.
Wait, you delete stuff and then pull it back out of your deleted items folder? Why bother deleting then? Does that mean you delete other stuff and then go into the deleted items folder and delete it from there as well? Seems like if there's room on your TiVo such that stuff in your deleted items folder sits there for a week and you can restore it, then you may as well just not bother deleting it in the first place.

Maybe I'm just not understanding since it's so different from the way I manage my TiVo. I never delete anything, and things just drop off when the TiVo needs the room to record something new. So at any given time, we've got 3-5 episodes of most of the currently airing shows, and there is some stuff marked as KUID that's down at the bottom. But this basically means that the deleted items folder is always at 0 because stuff only gets put in that folder when the TiVo needs the space, so it goes in there and then immediately gets deleted from there as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
sharkster

Hey DevDog! Yup, I sure do. Here's the thing - I'm a bit neurotic about clutter. So I tend to delete whatever I've already watched and leave some things there in the 'deleted' folder for a while. I also go in there and delete everything I'm totally finished with because I don't like clutter in there either.

I just don't want a lot of extraneous stuff in my 'my shows' page because I'm a nut like that. It's what works for me.

It probably sounds like I'm ready for the rubber room, but that's ok. I'm like that with everything I do - I always have an exact way I like to do things and that's the way I feel comfortable. My husband, OTOH, is massively disorganized. Now THAT would drive me really crazy. ha!

Fortunately, he doesn't use either Tivo. Hell, he doesn't even know how to hook up a VCR yet so he doesn't bother with my electronics. I like it that way, too!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

sharkster, you must have disabled TiVo suggestions, otherwise they'd cause all your deleted shows to go away. That's how I tell how much room I have left before "real" shows start getting deleted: if I have lots of suggestions I have lots of room; if I have only a few suggestions, then uh-oh!

Suggestions cause everything in my deleted folder to disappear within a few hours, at most, unless I deleted a huge swath of things. On the other hand I don't save shows I've already watched either: I watch it, I delete it, and away it goes. Why would I save something I already watched? Plus I need the room usually.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
sharkster, you must have disabled TiVo suggestions, otherwise they'd cause all your deleted shows to go away. That's how I tell how much room I have left before "real" shows start getting deleted: if I have lots of suggestions I have lots of room; if I have only a few suggestions, then uh-oh!

Suggestions cause everything in my deleted folder to disappear within a few hours, at most, unless I deleted a huge swath of things. On the other hand I don't save shows I've already watched either: I watch it, I delete it, and away it goes. Why would I save something I already watched? Plus I need the room usually.
I save stuff I've already watched for a few reasons: 1. I've got plenty of space, 2. TiVo deletes everything for me when it needs the room, and 3. Sometimes it's nice to go back and watch something after reading about it in a discussion here on TCF.

I also don't have suggestions turned on. Never saw the point. Every week or two I'll look down at the bottom of the list to see the date of things that are about to be deleted. If they're closer than a month ago, then I know I've got to watch some things or mark some things as KUID. But usually I've got at least the past month's worth of shows on there.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
sharkster

Correctamundo, Madscientist! I have 'suggestions' turned off.

Like DevDog, I just don't see the point. I always have plenty o stuff to watch, and if I'm looking for something else, I find that I make much better choices for me than Tivo does.

But, hey - choices! Always good.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #36
MPSAN

Quote:
Correctamundo, Madscientist! I have 'suggestions' turned off.

Like DevDog, I just don't see the point. I always have plenty o stuff to watch, and if I'm looking for something else, I find that I make much better choices for me than Tivo does.

But, hey - choices! Always good.
I agree. We had Suggestions turned on and what we got were OLD shows that were not even on any more. So, they should let you set suggestions for First run ONLY, so if the show is years old with no new episodes, they do not record.

ie: It recorded The Closer and recorded 14 episodes. However, there is no new season of that show.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Wait, you delete stuff and then pull it back out of your deleted items folder? Why bother deleting then? Does that mean you delete other stuff and then go into the deleted items folder and delete it from there as well? Seems like if there's room on your TiVo such that stuff in your deleted items folder sits there for a week and you can restore it, then you may as well just not bother deleting it in the first place.
I personally don't leave things in the regular folder since I *NEVER* want the Tivo to delete anything itself. Any show I recorded myself that is.

So after I watch a show, I delete it.

I *don't* put everything as keep until I delete, because then the Tivo goes nuts when it thinks it won't be able to record shows (since it has no way of knowing I'll watch before then). So I risk deletion, and have sometimes had deletion (less often with my Premiere 4 though, even when it had the space consuming bug that was only recently fixed).

So I can see why he does what he does -- put it in the trash so it's deleted *if necessary*, but if he kept it in the show folder, maybe a DIFFERENT show he hadn't watched would be chosen to be deleted instead.

I think he should get an external drive to download shows to and/or expand the Tivo drives though. (I say this as someone who had an external drive die -- but that was my own poor taking care of it -- it was a bare drive connected with an adapter).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #38
sharkster

Hey Mattack! First all, I'm a girl but I know it's hard to tell from there. For me, there is no need to have an external drive because I never have so much stuff that the Tivos are getting anywhere near full. But I can see how it would be the perfect solution for some people!

Actually, when I replaced my Series 2 Tivos with Premieres I let the guy talk me into getting Lifetime on one of the old ones to use for storage space. The only thing he didn't manage to mention, and I had no way of knowing since I never had HD before, was that I couldn't transfer the HD shows onto the old Tivo. So, now I have a $100 paperweight.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If I could watch a whole season at once, and still participate in current online discussions about the show, that would be the best of both worlds. But I prefer participation in the online discussions more than I dislike waiting a week between episodes, so I generally stay up to date on most shows and watch the night they air so I can participate in the threads.

When a show doesn't get a lot of online discussion here, it tends to become less of a priority for me to watch in a timely manner, and then those shows often get built up and saved for later viewing.
That's me. I tend to watch the shows that are regularly discussed here on a weekly basis. And other shows that my wife likes too on a weekly basis. Usually the only shows I watch a whole series at once are shows that I haven't watched that are recommended here. For instance, I caught up on Mad Men over the course of a few weeks from S1E1 and just finished it in time for the new season to start. There's also a few series that I don't get the channel for, like Dexter on Showtime which I watched a couple of seasons on DVD.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Hey Mattack! First all, I'm a girl but I know it's hard to tell from there. For me, there is no need to have an external drive because I never have so much stuff that the Tivos are getting anywhere near full. But I can see how it would be the perfect solution for some people!

Actually, when I replaced my Series 2 Tivos with Premieres I let the guy talk me into getting Lifetime on one of the old ones to use for storage space. The only thing he didn't manage to mention, and I had no way of knowing since I never had HD before, was that I couldn't transfer the HD shows onto the old Tivo. So, now I have a $100 paperweight.
Except that by having the one unit with lifetime, you should be getting a discount on the monthly service pricing of the other two units, so it should pay for itself fairly quickly.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #41
mattack

Quote:

So then you should be sharkst-her. (bad joke)

You can probably sell your Series 2 with lifetime on eBay for at least $100.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #42
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That is a cool idea. I have two TiVo series 2 on my shelf. Both with lifetimes. I may use one as a back up. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #43
mattack

It's easier to just download to a computer hard drive.