TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #181
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
I'm still holding out hope for streaming support for my Windows 8 tablet...

Any chance that the changes for supporting Android will make this more of a possible reality, or is it a completely waste of my time to think it's in TiVo's future?
I would say their summer move to Haxe opened up the door to lots of things as far as their portable strategy is concerned, at least theoretically. But what they choose to do, is anyone's guess still.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #182
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

Any chance that the changes for supporting Android will make this more of a possible reality, or is it a completely waste of my time to think it's in TiVo's future?
Possibly. A few of us have speculated that in order to properly support Android they had to add support for MPEG-Dash to the Stream, in addition to HLS which is required for Apple devices. Android does support HLS, but it's finicky so it's more likely they added Dash instead. If that's the case then the possibility for a Windows app increases since Windows does not support HLS at all without a plug-in or 3rd party SDK, but it supports Dash natively.

The bigger issue with a Windows app is the UI. Windows apps are completely different then Andorid and iOS. If they switched development of the mobile app over to Haxe too then that part is as simple as just compiling it for a Windows target. But if each app is being maintained native then it's unlikely since Windows has such a small share in the mobile space.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #183
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
kmttg can handle that today, assuming you're on a cable system that doesn't protect a lot of content. And you're willing to download shows to the tab, then play.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #184
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
kmttg can handle that today, assuming you're on a cable system that doesn't protect a lot of content. And you're willing to download shows to the tab, then play.
Not really streaming though. You can download shows in the .tivo format, but true streaming on Windows 8 is not available. Although if they did add Dash support to then you could stream to a browser given a proper URL.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #185
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, that's why I specifically said download. It's not that big a deal.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #186
Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No. I like that the OP was so wrong.
Only half wrong though. For many the download feature is what is important; with Tivo leaving that out of the Android app it can be argued that the OP wasn't that far off.
Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #187
ilovedvrs

Who votes it will not be released in Sept?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #188
ilovedvrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nak View Post
Only half wrong though. For many the download feature is what is important; with Tivo leaving that out of the Android app it can be argued that the OP wasn't that far off.
Aye, I only wanted the download feature. Places I go don't have cell service....
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #189
JWhites

I couldn't care less about the download feature, I just want better out of home and in home streaming and more Stream purchases from Android users.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #190
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
Who votes it will not be released in Sept?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
Aye, I only wanted the download feature. Places I go don't have cell service....
Does it really matter? It would appear that even if tivo gave away Roamio's for free, gave everyone lifetime service, provided Stream access to every possible device and threw in $1,000 cash for every subscriber, there would be still be those complain about some aspect of what they didn't do or did in their eyes, wrong.

Yes we have waited longer than perhaps we should have for Android Stream support and sadly enough when it arrives it still won't be enough for some and there will be those such as you that will complain only for the sake of complaining.

As far as restrictions on downloading content goes, in the United States, you need to complain to your government represnetives and the strangle hold, groups such as the cable card labs including your cable company has done to destoy your choices on the distribution of copyrighted material. In other countries were Tivo has not been tied down by legal issues, there hasn't been such an impairment.

Tivo makes the wrong technical choices and they will find themselves out of business just like the broadcast industry did to Aereo. The delay of Android Stream has more to do with legal hoops that have to be carefully navigated, not the technical limitations, strong lobby groups in Washington DC better deserves the brunt of your criticism, not TiVo.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote