TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
skruggie

TV Land, Syndicated Shows - HD Question

Here's what may be a stupid question - I"ve been watching syndicated reruns like Roseanne, Cosby Show, etc. on TV Land HD. They play 4:3 on my HDTV.

Are these shows actually broadcast in HD or would it be the same if I recorded them on the standard channel and not waste the HD recording space, or is the picture quality actually better?
skruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Eddie501

This shows were shot on videotape in the 80's and 90's. They are not HD, but you'll probably get a better picture than you would on the SD channel. Just because it's not as highly compressed. The only way to tell if it's enough to bother you though, is just to alternate recordings between the SD and HD channels and see if you can tell a difference.
Eddie501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skruggie View Post
Here's what may be a stupid question - I"ve been watching syndicated reruns like Roseanne, Cosby Show, etc. on TV Land HD. They play 4:3 on my HDTV.
I was assuming if it is recorded on an HD station it must be recording at HD recording size.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
skruggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I was assuming if it is recorded on an HD station it must be recording at HD recording size.
Yes that's my point - I don't want to waste the hard drive space if there's no real improvement in picture, if its actually an SD broadcast and it hasn't been upgraded in any way for a better picture quality.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
TonyD79

Quote:

Yes that's my point - I don't want to waste the hard drive space if there's no real improvement in picture, if its actually an SD broadcast and it hasn't been upgraded in any way for a better picture quality.
Even an SD up convert usually has a better picture than an SD channel. The pipeline delivering the channel carries more detail so you get less loss (the compression mentioned above) as well as the converters at the source are typically better than any TV or consumer up converter.

The PQ should be better.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

If you watch Hot in Cleveland, I'm sure it's much better in HD than SD. And there are other "new" shows that TV Land airs. Our cableco doesn't offer it in HD, so I can't say for sure...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
skruggie

Thanks this pretty much answers my question, looks like if there is an HD channel available I should use that as the source, no matter how old the show is.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
If you watch Hot in Cleveland, I'm sure it's much better in HD than SD. And there are other "new" shows that TV Land airs. Our cableco doesn't offer it in HD, so I can't say for sure...
Is TV-Land on HD anywhere? I (sadly) watch a lot of their sitcoms*, and it is the *only* non-HD channel I have any SPs set for. My wife and I joke that due to the demographics of the actors, non-HD is intentional.

* Hot in Cleveland
* Happily Divorced
* The Exes

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Is TV-Land on HD anywhere? I (sadly) watch a lot of their sitcoms*, and it is the *only* non-HD channel I have any SPs set for. My wife and I joke that due to the demographics of the actors, non-HD is intentional....
According to THIS it is...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Is TV-Land on HD anywhere?
I have Time Warner in NYC and we have TV Land in HD. We got it sometime last fall.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
sharkster

We have TVLand in HD in my market, which I totally appreciate because I watch all the new TVLand shows and I, too, was watching Roseanne and Cosby yesterday and thinking about that. I'm pretty sure that it definitely looks better in 'HD' even if it's not really.

What you can do is pull up the SD channel on one tuner and the HD version of the channel on another tuner and see the difference live.

I watch 'Emily Owens, MD' on the CW channel (I know - I'm probably the only one who likes this show) and, while my CW channel isn't in the HD tier of channels it says it is in HD. I don't think it really is HD, though, but it does look better than it seems like it would in SD.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Thanks this pretty much answers my question, looks like if there is an HD channel available I should use that as the source, no matter how old the show is.
Heh, I record everything in SD, no matter how *new* the show is.. because of hard drive space!
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

"The Cosby Show" was filmed on Panavision 35mm cameras. If they take the original film and capture it to HD (like they did with Seinfeld and like they are doing with Star Trek: TNG) then it will look great in HD, even if it is only 4:3. If they are just playing the old 525-line broadcast tapes, then it will only look slightly better on the HD channel.

Lots of shows in the 80's and 90's were shot on video and will never look any better than they do now. And very few shows shot on film will ever get the financial backing for an HD upgrade. It's not cheap to re-scan and re-edit all of those episodes.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Heh, I record everything in SD, no matter how *new* the show is.. because of hard drive space!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
ive found this to be true...before i had an HDtv i had an HDtivo and the pic looked even better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
skruggie

Well,in watching full house on the sd abc family on my old tv, and on abc family hd on my HDTV, they look exactly the same to me. The same for Boy Meets World.

So I have to wonder how much of this so called upconverting is hype and marketing.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I watch 'Emily Owens, MD' on the CW channel (I know - I'm probably the only one who likes this show)
I like Emily Owens too. I think the cancel button was pushed too fast on that one.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Even with a 2 TB drive installed (which I don't have installed), that wouldn't be able to keep tons of episodes of shows in HD.. I record way more than I can watch during the year, and have tons of new to me stuff to watch in the summer.

Heck, I've been trying to pare down how much I record, and I still wouldn't be able to keep anywhere near as much in HD.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I like Emily Owens too. I think the cancel button was pushed too fast on that one.
ITA. IIRC, the show was barely out of the gate before they got out the ax.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote