TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
SanFranGun

ir blaster drops final digit

I recently resurrected my Sony svr-2000 and connected it with the help of Tivo telephone support. I'm sure that the ir code is the correct one. Nevertheless, the Comcast set-top box occasionally will fail to read the final digit that the dvr transmits. (I didn't think that the Discovery channel would have a show hosted by buxom ladies in heavy make-up agitatedly speaking Spanish.) To counter this, I taped BOTH ir blaster heads together (to double the effectiveness?) This seems to have worked but I was wondering if anyone knew where the receptor for ir beams is on the front of Comcast/Cisco/Scientific Atlanta set-top boxes. I can't find it by shining a flashlight at the front panel and looking for the reflection. Also, can anyone give me a suggestion on how far forward of the edge of the top of the set-top box the ir blaster transmitter should be positioned for greatest effectiveness? Finally, is there an add-on that can be purchased to boost ir blaster potency?

Thanks.

Oh, one last question which I hesitate to ask for its revelation of my stupidity. Can the Sony SVR-2000 be configured (with a Comcast set-top cable box [NOT a DTA]) to record one show while one is watching another? How?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranGun View Post
I recently resurrected my Sony svr-2000 and connected it with the help of Tivo telephone support. I'm sure that the ir code is the correct one. Nevertheless, the Comcast set-top box occasionally will fail to read the final digit that the dvr transmits. (I didn't think that the Discovery channel would have a show hosted by buxom ladies in heavy make-up agitatedly speaking Spanish.) To counter this, I taped BOTH ir blaster heads together (to double the effectiveness?) This seems to have worked but I was wondering if anyone knew where the receptor for ir beams is on the front of Comcast/Cisco/Scientific Atlanta set-top boxes. I can't find it by shining a flashlight at the front panel and looking for the reflection. Also, can anyone give me a suggestion on how far forward of the edge of the top of the set-top box the ir blaster transmitter should be positioned for greatest effectiveness? Finally, is there an add-on that can be purchased to boost ir blaster potency?
Could you possibly switch out the cable box for a motorola box that has serial control enabled and use that instead of the IR blasters?

Quote:
Oh, one last question which I hesitate to ask for its revelation of my stupidity. Can the Sony SVR-2000 be configured (with a Comcast set-top cable box [NOT a DTA]) to record one show while one is watching another? How?
If you're talking about recording one thing and watching another live, the only way to do that is split the cable and have two cable boxes (one could be a DTA). One would be connected to and controlled by the TiVo. The other would be directly connected to the TV. Nothing to configure on the TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 07-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
GGray

Which Comcast box are you using? If it has a port on the rear panel for a remote IR input, my direct cable will allow you to eliminate the IR link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220627222273

This direct cable is much more reliable than the IR Blaster

Gary
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
SanFranGun

to lpwcomp:

I didn't know that the other set-top box manufacturer made a box that enabled an rca connector.

I was afraid that your answer (a splitter and two cable boxes) was the correct one.

to lpwcomp & GGray:

My set-top box has an ir port but I have read elsewhere that it is an output port rather than an input port and that it wouldn't work. Have either of you seen it in operation successfully?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
GGray

I didn't see your cable model number in your original post.

Which cable box do you have?

Gary
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
SanFranGun

to Gary:

It's the "Cisco RNG 100".
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
to lpwcomp:

I didn't know that the other set-top box manufacturer made a box that enabled an rca connector.
It's not an RCA connector, it is a serial connector that looks like this:

The mini-plug goes into the "Serial Control" port on the back of the TiVo. The DB9 goes into the serial control port on the back of the cable box. See
here
for a list of supported boxes. Note also that serial control has to have been enabled by the cable provider in order for this to work. All I can say is that I have had several DCT2000s and serial control has worked on all of them, including the one I have right now. I am also on Comcast

Quote:
to lpwcomp & GGray:

My set-top box has an ir port but I have read elsewhere that it is an output port rather than an input port and that it wouldn't work. Have either of you seen it in operation successfully?
From the manual for this box
Quote:
7 IR Available to be connected to an approved remote IR receiver (purchased separately).
This appears to be similar to what the DTA has, so the direct connect cable will most likely work. GGray would know WAY more than I do about that.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
GGray

My TiVo to Comcast DTA cable will work with the RNG110.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220627222273

Gary
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
SanFranGun

to lpwcomp & GGray:

Thank you both very much for your prompt and helpful responses.