TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
I'm curious... if that original disk is good but the image is somehow corrupt, what good is the fact that it's got the TSN for that unit? Why not just put a new image on that drive?

I've never actually used kickstart for anything (yet). Which one's would you recommend?

Good idea, it's running now.
But you don't know if the image on the original drive is corrupt or if the problem is something else.

About 60 seconds after power is applied to a TiVo you should see some sort of change in the front panel lights.

That's your cue to hold down the pause button for about a second and then release it and enter the 2 digit kickstart code.

Take the original drive, put it in the TiVo out of which it originally came, disconnect everything from the back of the TiVo (no cable, no antenna, no network) except the power cord and a composite video (yellow RCA plug) cord connected to something with a composite video input. (You can hook up the red and white audio as well if you wish).

Plug the TiVo power cord into the wall.

Wait about 60 seconds until the lights change, then hit pause and then enter 54, which should access the S.M.A.R.T. tests built into the drive's firmware.

If you've already run the WD long test there's no need to actually run any tests on the drive while it's in the TiVo, so find a way in the menu to exit without running any tests.

What we want to see is if things can get as far as the motherboard accessing the drive's firmware.

You've got 2 TiVos with apparently the same problem and apparently we've eliminated power supply problems as the reason, so it's going to take some careful and painstaking detective work.

Do you have any other hard drives available for experimental purposes?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote