TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
TiVoEvan74

Can all recent Tivos record two OTA channels at the same time?

Was wondering if all Tivos with dual tuners can record two over the air stations at the same time?

Perhaps, more specifically, I'm wondering whether the Tivo HDs and Tivo Premiers can?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
JoeTaxpayer

HD sure can, no doubt.

Premiere and Premiere XL - Inputs CableCARD™ support, cable coax, antenna coax
Premiere XL4 - The newest 4 tuner is digital only, no OTA. (yes, I saw you asked about dual tuner only, just adding this line for sake of full disclosure)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Series 3 (TCD648250)
Tivo HD (TCD652160)
Tivo HD XL (TCD658000)
Premiere (TCD746xxx)
Premiere XL(TCD748000)

These models will record from Antenna (OTA), no digital converter box needed, and/or cable with/without cable cards.
They will record from 2 channels at once, 2 from OTA, 2 from cable, or 1 from each. No more than 2 recordings at once.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
TiVoEvan74

Fantastic! Quick response and good information. Thanks to both of you!

We're still back in Series 2 land, with single tuners, SD TV, analog cable, etc.

But we discovered that our old Tivos are power hogs, so we're looking to replace them (maybe!).
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Fantastic! Quick response and good information. Thanks to both of you!

We're still back in Series 2 land, with single tuners, SD TV, analog cable, etc.

But we discovered that our old Tivos are power hogs, so we're looking to replace them (maybe!).
If in your area OTA went HD, you might need one of those cheap converters. Not sure how well they play together.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
If in your area OTA went HD, you might need one of those cheap converters. Not sure how well they play together.
Nope, Series 3 and Premieres do not require converters or cable boxes (only cable cards), can't even control them. Only Series 2 and earlier need the boxes.

Series 2 only has a NTSC tuner where as Series 3/HD/Premiere has NTSC (Analog) and ATSC (digital) tuners.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Why are you continuing to say this, when it has been proven to be untrue in a separate thread of yours? (by this, I mean that they are 33W devices and not 60W devices as your inspector claimed in error)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=488740

Now, if this is your rationale for upgrading with your family, I'm ok with that. However, I don't like having that language here where in the future someone may become confused.

For the record, I also agree with ThAbtO- no converter is needed. In fact, I recollect that some individuals use the premiere in lieu of such a box for OTA and just did not activate the device.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
TiVoEvan74

Hey, we're a friendly community here, so I would appreciate a little more graciousness in your response! You wrote:

Quote:
"Why are you continuing to say this, when it has been proven to be untrue in a separate thread of yours? (by this, I mean that they are 33W devices and not 60W devices as your inspector claimed in error)" http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=488740
There are several problems here.

1. I only posted two times. So,
Quote:
"continuing to say"
really is off base--it makes it sound as if I were deliberately spewing falsehoods and ignoring people's replies! If you re-read the thread you cited, you’ll see that I welcomed the information graciously! My comment about "power hogs" here was an aside, in any case!

2. Not sure where you got this, either.
Quote:
"not 60W devices as your inspector claimed in error"
What inspector? As I wrote, I got the 59 watts figure from the Tivo manuals-- the Toshiba and the Humax!

3. You also wrote this:

Quote:
"proven to be untrue"
but "proven" is a stretch. It seems that the 60 watt figure in the manuals may indeed be wrong. (Although why they'd want to state a nearly double power consumption figure is beyond me!) Several posters who mentioned 33 watts, however, were referring to regular Series 2 devices, not the DVD units. And some posters noted that the DVD units do use more power--one measured it at 40 watts.

I am going to get a Kill-a-Watt meter and test this out--and will report back... I'll be pleased to discover that they are *only* 40 watts, although that still constitutes a power hog in my book, especially given that we have two of them and they run 24-7 and that our utility charges about 16 cents/kwH. So, we'd still be looking at around $120 a year.

4. I hope you’ll recognize that the following really rankled.
Quote:
Now, if this is your rationale for upgrading with your family, I'm ok with that. However, I don't like having that language here where in the future someone may become confused.
“I don’t like having that language here…” As they say, “Who appointed you sheriff?” I hope that on re-reading that, you'll realize that comes off as a pretty condescending remark!

I also hope that you'll consider apologizing for all this! I'm just a happy Tivo user who was concerned with how much our Tivos might be costing us each month and came back here to ask some questions about the Premieres and tuners. It would certainly be nice to find out that our old Series 2 DVD Tivos aren't such power hogs.

We're a supportive bunch around here, so let's keep it that way! It seems that I struck a nerve, so I apologize for that!

Last edited by TiVoEvan74 : 07-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

What?!?

I'm unsure why you thought my question was not gracious- any tone you perceived was not provided in my question.

I'm going to respond once, and then use the forum tools to ignore this thread. I do not need to review any additional dialog on this topic.

In the referenced thread, you received several responses that Tivo series 2 are not using a constant ~60W as you were led to believe (through Tivo documentation, I grant you). Several noted that they actually used a device (Kill-a-Watt) as proof of the actual real-world energy usage, which was provided prior to your post above claiming that Tivos are "power hogs".

So, from a reader's perspective, you made a claim in this tread (your number of posts is irrelevant) that could easily mislead someone investigating this topic (an "aside" or not) after receiving proof. I simply asked the question why you continued with this rhetoric [in a new thread] while the proof refuted your claim, and provided a link to the evidence for verification.

I'm certainly no sheriff, but simply wanted to be helpful to others by ensuring refuted claims do not mislead. From you own words, "If they actually running only at 33-38 watts, that changes the equation", so it appeared that your term "power hog" was DOA.

I wonder if you could get some instant savings by opening up the box and unpluging the DVD burner power connector. Good luck with whatever path you go with a potential new Tivo.

No apology was necessary from you. None is forthcoming from me.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I have also been following the multiple threads by the OP, and there are several that all really should have been one big "should I get a new Tivo?" thread.

OP, as far as power, this is a non-issue as many have stated, your initial assumptions and numbers were incorrect. Power savings are IMO not a valid reason to replace a Tivo if it does the job successfully for you, especially when you've now learned that your power assumptions were incorrect.

However this all means nothing, there is no reason to not want a new Premiere-generation Tivo and all the new and added features simply because it is a new generation product with a lot more bells, whistles, features, and doodads; it's OK to want it because it's new and shiny! I think everyone at TCF is ok with that, there is no reason to continue to over-analyze this to death, if you want a new Tivo, buy it!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

In my area you can check out Kill-A-Watt meters from the public library.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
TiVoEvan74

dianebrat, respectively disagree with you! Big huge threads on a general topic such as "Should I get a new TiVo?" are too broad, often impenetrable, and new questions get lost in them. The typical recommendation for Internet forums is to focus threads on specific issues. Simply adding a question at the end of a multi-page long general thread is unlikely to be noticed or get responses. Whereas posting a new question in a new thread gets help--e.g., here it was a specific question about dual tuners and OTA and I got quick and helpful answers.

jrtroo, that's the spirit-- insult a questioner, throw back an explanation, and run! It fits your profile. I'm an end user in a friendly forum--trying to find out about a feature of the current TiVos, asking for information, and my aside gets treated as if I'm spewing falsehoods and trying to mislead people. Very strange!

I won't bother to go back over the different ways your post was erroneous and rude; my post above does that. (I will note, though, that you keep using the 33 watts figure, when the DVD TiVo test figure was 40 watts!)

You derailed this thread into the energy issue--away from the OTA-dual tuner question I posed originally. The bottom line on that was that I had never before considered how much energy TiVos consumed, something very important when you're running a device 24-7. With our two old TiVos, using the 40 watt test figure supplied by someone else, we're spending nearly $120 per year just running them!! That was far more than expected and remains surprising.

For the past month, we've fallen into the habit of watching Roku instead of one of our TiVos--it uses only 2-4 watts, or only $3-5 per year. It provides a different or subset of features, obviously, but clearly saves energy and money.

In any event, much thanks to the others who responded kindly here and answered my original question!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
shwru980r

Another lost soul paying tribute to the pagan god of token environmentalism.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote