TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Apps.TV is no more

I noticed last night that Reversi wasn't showing up in my TiVos' menus, just the apps.tv IP address. Today I went to look at apps.tv in my browser, and sure enough, I saw this:

I've been expecting this for a while, but it's still a sad day for me. After taking down their own hosted apps, and purging others from the list, apps.tv was down to just two available apps at the time of shutdown: my own Reversi, and that Fire Dispatch thing. I figured our host was just waiting for them to give up before shutting down (not that he said anything about it). But I had no intention of turning off Reversi. Looks like I waited him out. (In fact, Reversi is still running as I type this, but without apps.tv, you can't get to it.)

On the one hand, I'd like to thank our host for providing a valuable service to the TiVo community for many years, with no recompense. On the other, I'd like to curse him out for being a bipolar flake and shutting down without notice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

I've got a static public IP with plenty of bandwidth to go around. I remember seeing some information posted at some point about what it takes to host something like what apps.tv did (by you william, maybe?). My memory is fuzzy though, and I can't seem to find any reference now. But I'd look into it if there's any interest? I've never got around to building any tivo apps and wouldn't be able to reproduce the apps.tv hme client app, but I could do the web-services part pretty easily, I'm sure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Aha, found it - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=381989
For future reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apps-tv View Post
It connects to port 80 and requests a file called TiVoConnect

http://209.97.196.52/TiVoConnect

which needs to return an xml file (described in the HMO docs I believe)

apps.tv creates this on the fly based on the TiVo's ID which is sent in the headers.
And I obtained this fragment from Google's cache of apps.tv.
Code:
<tivocontainer>
<details>
	<contenttype>x-container/tivo-server</contenttype>
	<sourceformat>x-container/folder</sourceformat>
	<totalitems>1</totalitems>
	<title>apps.tv HME Server</title>
</details>
<itemstart>0</itemstart>
<itemcount>1</itemcount>
<item>
	<details>
		<contenttype>application/x-hme</contenttype>
		<sourceformat>x-container/folder</sourceformat>
		<title>apps.tv Subscription Manager</title>
	</details>
	<links>
		<content>
			<url>http://209.97.196.52:2281/submanager/</url>
		</content>
	</links>
</item>
</tivocontainer>

A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote