TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
dana278

Do you think this is a CableCard or Roamio issue?

To be honest, I'm new to digital cable, so I'm not completely familiar with how CableCards work. I've only had it for a few weeks, and I specifically signed up because of the Roamio.

I had a tech come out and give me a card for my old TiVo so I'd have it when I finally got my new Tivo in, that way I could just call and pair and wouldn't have to wait for a tech at that time. Anyways, the card didn't give me any problems in an old HD unit the whole time I had it in there.

So then I called to pair it with the Roamio this past Friday and everything was great for 24 hours, that's when I lost my channels for the first time. As with everything (computers, phone, etc) I tried restarting the TiVo first and they came back and everything was fine. Since Saturday afternoon I've lost them a total of five times, three times I had to restart, but twice the channels came back on their own after I received this message on my screen:

CableCard Error: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-17.

I'm going to call and have a tech come out later this week, but should I prepare myself for this being a TiVo issue? I'd like to figure it out ASAP because I purchased it from Best Buy and their return policy is only 15 days. As I said before, I'm new to CableCards so I don't know if they "go bad" after being swapped out.

Thanks for any advice!
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
jodell
TiVo geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana278 View Post

CableCard Error: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-17.
I suggest calling the number you called to have the cable card paired and asking them to un-pair it and then re-pair the Tivo and Cable Card.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana278 View Post
i think the error u are getting is indicating an issue with the cablecard. i would definately call the cable company, let them know of the error code, and possibly ask them to re-bind the card and all.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
dana278

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodell View Post
I suggest calling the number you called to have the cable card paired and asking them to un-pair it and then re-pair the Tivo and Cable Card.

Jeff
Thanks for the advice. I said this in another post, but my cable company is really small and there are only a few people in the office I can even talk to about these things. A few know what they are doing, and a few don't know anything. I'd rather take my chances with a tech bringing me a new one, to be honest. I went through quite the ordeal on Friday trying to find someone to even pair it for me 2 hours before the holiday weekend began.

I contacted TiVo support via the chat and obviously they said it's a CableCard issue, which I'm sure it is, I'm just a little cautious because the Roamio is so new and all. The fact that the channels come back after a restart is what's confusing me. I'd almost rather they didn't!
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
SlappyMcgee

When the tech came out to give you your card did he check your lines to make sure you had a good signal to the Tivo?
SlappyMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote