TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Bashful Bailey

Ads on scroll bars

I've been a TiVo customer for a long time. I bought a TiVo Series 1, back when it carried the Philips label. Recently I bought a TiVo Premiere for my HDTV. I'm willing to pay for a TiVo box, even though my cable company's DVR would be cheaper, because I like TiVo's user interface. That's the heart of TiVo's business model, as I understand it: a premium user experience for a premium price.

When I began using my TiVo Premiere, I was slightly annoyed that there is no way to turn off the "recommendations" display at the top of the TiVo Central screen. These recommendations are supposedly based on my viewing habits, but lately they also include ads for paper towels and toilet paper. I'm pretty sure that my viewing habits don't suggest any unusual interest in paper products. Apparently TiVo's "recommendations" are for sale to the highest bidder. This diminishes their value and makes me wish there were a way to remove this clutter from my screen.

I was even more dismayed to find that, when I use rewind or fast-forward, the scroll bar is often decorated with another ad. My reaction was, "Seriously? Ads on a scroll bar?" When I am trying to skip ahead in some recorded show, I am definitely not looking for a discount coupon for toilet paper. This visual clutter serves only to make me annoyed, both with TiVo and the company that bought the ad.

It seems that TiVo is turning into just another company that is trying to auction my eyeballs to the highest bidder. There are plenty of other companies doing this, and they do not command premium prices or customer loyalty. I'm beginning to wonder why users should continue to pay a premium price for TiVo service.
Bashful Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
mattack

Ads when you FF? I definitely haven't seen that.. there are/were pause ads, and the ad in the menu when you're asked to delete a show..

Personally, I *hate* ads, but Tivo's ads are among the LEAST intrusive ever. Yes, that is a backhanded compliment. Basically, they're about as out of the way as possible.. Would I prefer to pay more (once) for no ads? Yes.. But still WAY WAY less bad than other ad providers.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

And, in all reality, you will end up not even seeing them after just bit of time. Similar to ads on websites...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
And, in all reality, you will end up not even seeing them after just bit of time. Similar to ads on websites...
...especially when you use Adblock....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
aridon

Its a terrible system and I dislike it as well. Especially with tivo's pricing being on the high side and requiring an auto renewing contract to drop it.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Wow....I don't know what you're seeing, but I just got an XL4 (I've been a TiVo user for nine years)....and I don't notice ads at all.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote