TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
adamsd

New Premiere box not receiving non-HD SDV channels (TWC San Diego)

I recently upgraded my Series 3 to a Premiere box. After installation and setup of the box, cable card and tuning adapter I noticed that standard definition SDV channels would fail to tune in. Each time tuning to those channels the box would display "Searching for signal on this cable channel..." However all of the high definition SDV channels tune in with no issue. Since I tend to watch only HD this would normally not be an issue, however there are a handful of children channels that are SD only and am unable to tune to.

I have had time warner techs out to my house a couple of times now. In the process I believe we eliminated a lot of potential problem spots, but in the end I am back at square one with no idea how to resolve the situation. Along with the typical solutions of amplifiers and cable and connecter swapping we ran a direct connection from the tap at the street into the tuning adapter, switched out three different tuning adapters, switched out the cable card, verified that the cable card and tuning adapter were registered correctly in the TWC system and resent hits to the cards and tuning adapter. Yet with all that the SD SDV channels will just not tune in.

I have contacted Tivo and they are telling me there is a known issue with Cisco tuning adapters and Premiere boxes that Cisco has been made aware of and that a tuning adapter FW update is required. However, the Tivo agent told me that this was identified as a problem when the Premiere FW was at 14.x which was quite a while ago already. So my feeling is that is most likely not the issue since I have been unable to find others on the forums exhibiting a similar issue.

Yesterday the Time Warner Tech Supervisor reached out to me and suggested I clear and delete everything on the box in order to download a new channel map and reinstall the FW. I am open to doing this, but would prefer to know if that will fix it before I erase all my shows and season passes.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with a similar issue I would appreciate the thoughts.

-adam
adamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsd View Post
Yesterday the Time Warner Tech Supervisor reached out to me and suggested I clear and delete everything on the box in order to download a new channel map and reinstall the FW. I am open to doing this, but would prefer to know if that will fix it before I erase all my shows and season passes.
I don't even have cable, but I think repeating Guided Setup should download a new channel map without losing your shows or season passes. And if the Time Warner tech referred to firmware, he's confused. He presumably meant the TiVo software, but a "Clear and delete everything" doesn't reinstall that, and that's probably not where the problem lies anyway.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
adamsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I think repeating Guided Setup should download a new channel map without losing your shows or season passes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and repeated the guided setup last night and it did not resolve the issue.

As for the need to download a new channel map, I might be using the wrong terminology. What i am being told by Time Warner is that it is possible that the Tivo is not telling the tuning adapter that the requested channel is a SDV channel. That during setup something is downloaded to the Tivo that contains a list of which channels are SDV, and possibly the list I have currently is incorrect, and with a reset and wipe of the Tivo it will potentially grab the correct listing.

Has anyone heard of this, or been successful with resolving tuning adapter issues this way?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsd View Post
As for the need to download a new channel map, I might be using the wrong terminology. What i am being told by Time Warner is that it is possible that the Tivo is not telling the tuning adapter that the requested channel is a SDV channel. That during setup something is downloaded to the Tivo that contains a list of which channels are SDV, and possibly the list I have currently is incorrect, and with a reset and wipe of the Tivo it will potentially grab the correct listing.

Has anyone heard of this, or been successful with resolving tuning adapter issues this way?
Again, I don't even have cable. But I don't think such a cable channel map would be downloaded by the TiVo as such. I think the map would be programmed by the cable company head-end equipment into either their cable card or their tuning adapter. Someone who knows cable will elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
adamsd

Went ahead and performed a "Clear & Delete Everything" this weekend and it did not resolve a thing. I am still without about 20 or so standard definition channels.

I am back at square one and at a complete loss. Would love to hear from anyone who is or was missing some but not all of their channels with a Tivo Premiere. Have you resolved that issue? What steps have you taken?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
eaadams

I had this problem with Comcast in SF.

It was a cable card issue. Call them and tell them it needs to I think be I think it was called re-authorized. Anyway they had to do lots of things and eventually it was fixed.

You may need a new cable card.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
adamsd

Solved...sort of

After more trips from Time Warner and a few more cable card and tuning adapters, Tivo support agreed to swap out my premiere box. After setting up the new box this weekend all channels are now coming in just fine.

I still have no idea why the other box did not work, but it is good to know that it was something in the HW of that box causing the issue since it seemed as if nobody could identify the problem point or a solution.