TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Sell a TiVo on Craigslist or ebay?

I have a Series 2 (DT) with lifetime that I am about to sell. I initially thought I would try selling it first on Craigslist, but I'm now wondering if I should just sell it on ebay and then have it insured when shipped (via FedEX).

This way if something goes wrong when they get it hooked up, I have a backup resource to make a claim for it. Unlike if someone buys it through Craigslist & claims it doesn't work (& they might have switched the hard drive out for a bad one), I can't really fall back on something.

I realize I am also gonna have additional fees associated with selling it on ebay (ebay & paypal fees), but it may be worth the less headaches and hassles. ANy thoughts?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Pluses and minuses to each method. eBay will give you a broader audience, Craigslist will get you a bunch of flakes. Either can work.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Unless you are going to sell it for half the price that you could get on eBay, then it may take forever to sell on craigslist. I always have TiVos for sale on craigslist, but only sell one every six months or so. The good thing about that is I do usually get more because I don't have to pay paypal and ebay fees, but waiting can get old after a while. You can always try to sell on this forum, then you don't have to pay ANY fees if you have them mail you a US Post office money order. Don't take any other form of money order or check. (Paypal is the only other way to get paid except in person cash of course. )
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Craigslist will get you a bunch of flakes.
I haven't had troubles with flakes and TiVo selling. (I have had trouble with other items attracting flakes, mostly when selling digital converter boxes. )

I don't give out a address until they are ready to get into their car to come over and I tell them upfront if I am not willing to bargain on the price. I tell them I only take cash too. By doing all those things I don't have many problems. If I give them the address before they are actually ready to get into their car, over 50% will not show up.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post

I don't give out a address until they are ready to get into their car to come over and I tell them upfront if I am not willing to bargain on the price. I tell them I only take cash too. By doing all those things I don't have many problems. If I give them the address before they are actually ready to get into their car, over 50% will not show up.
Yea, this is actually another reason I am hesitant to deal with Craigslist. I have used CL to sell & give away other stuff, but have NEVER given my home address and have always told them to meet me at a gas station about 2 miles from my house for the transaction. This way they don't know where I live and it greatly reduces the chance of "flakes" showing up. I also don't even use my real home or cell numbers for them to call. Instead, I have a special google voice number I set up & use for all Craigslist transactions.

I once got a kitchen table from someone on CL. The woman had me come to her apartment. I got there, got the table, paid her and left with no problems, but it later got me to thinking that this is a dangerous way to do a transaction. She was there ALONE with her infant son & here she is letting some stranger (me) into her apartment. Also, I went into some strange apartment not really knowing who or what was waiting in there. This is probably another main reason I am hesitant to do a transaction on CL & why I take precautions like I do.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a Series 2 (DT) with lifetime that I am about to sell. I initially thought I would try selling it first on Craigslist, but I'm now wondering if I should just sell it on ebay and then have it insured when shipped (via FedEX).

This way if something goes wrong when they get it hooked up, I have a backup resource to make a claim for it. Unlike if someone buys it through Craigslist & claims it doesn't work (& they might have switched the hard drive out for a bad one), I can't really fall back on something.

I realize I am also gonna have additional fees associated with selling it on ebay (ebay & paypal fees), but it may be worth the less headaches and hassles. ANy thoughts?
I have heard that it is next to impossible to get a insurance payment from UPS or any of the other private shippers, but have never tried it myself. As far as selling on craigslist, I show them that it is working before they leave my garage. I have only had one returned, and that was because they wanted to trade it for a better one.
The whole worry about people coming to your house are really silly except for high dollar items.
If someone wants to rob you all they have to do is catch you out in the yard or most people will open their door to anyone. Then a gun will get you to let them in.
I wouldn't be doing what I am doing on craigslist if I were a woman though. And I too am very surprised when I buy items from a woman alone that has me into her house, or even to her house.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
I have heard that it is next to impossible to get a insurance payment from UPS or any of the other private shippers, but have never tried it myself. As far as selling on craigslist, I show them that it is working before they leave my garage. I have only had one returned, and that was because they wanted to trade it for a better one.
The whole worry about people coming to your house are really silly except for high dollar items.
If someone wants to rob you all they have to do is catch you out in the yard or most people will open their door to anyone. Then a gun will get you to let them in.
I wouldn't be doing what I am doing on craigslist if I were a woman though. And I too am very surprised when I buy items from a woman alone that has me into her house, or even to her house.
Never had any problem getting insurance payment from UPS, non delivery really no problem (only happened once to me in 10 years), damaged stuff, they may want to look at it, but for small amounts they just pay, only collected twice in 10 years). I guess if you were a frequent insurance claim person UPS may giver you trouble.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
As far as selling on craigslist, I show them that it is working before they leave my garage. I have only had one returned, and that was because they wanted to trade it for a better one.
You, but why risk it AT ALL as you NEVER know with some people these days. I would rather be safe than sorry & not let someone know where I live. I have a family and sometimes work till later in the evening so this is also another factor to take into consideration. It only takes ONE bad incident for some nut job to know where you live.

The more and more I add to this thread, the more I am thinking ebay (or even here) might just be the easier way to go.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
shwru980r

You can also try to sell it on amazon.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've never had any issues selling my TiVos on eBay. Although my first choice is to sell it through this site. And then I go to ebay.
But in general, over the last thirteen years that I've used ebay, I've only had a handful of issues. And the two big ones I had were with new products and either paypal or my credit card company took car of me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
You, but why risk it AT ALL as you NEVER know with some people these days. I would rather be safe than sorry & not let someone know where I live. I have a family and sometimes work till later in the evening so this is also another factor to take into consideration. It only takes ONE bad incident for some nut job to know where you live.
They already know where you live. It's not like your house is invisible, or anything, you know. I suppose there is some risk of a psychopath zeroing in on Craigslist posters, but then a similar nut job could just as easily decide they did not like the way you put on your blinker on the freeway and follow you home, or just happen to be in your neighborhood and drive by your house, deciding they don't like the color of your window casements. They could also just as easily, and far more likely, move in to the house down the bock.

Posting on Craigslist does not necessarily mean you have to meet them at your house, you know. You could meet them at Starbucks, or in the federal courthouse building.

Quote:
The more and more I add to this thread, the more I am thinking ebay (or even here) might just be the easier way to go.
I have certainly sold stuff on ebay.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
ashu
User title defunct

Very timely thread - I just listed two DVD TiVos on ebay!

I was under a clean-out-the-garage-by-year-end ultimatum, so when I read this thread, with a bunch of my favorite regulars posting suggestions, it inspired me to take a dozen or so photos each and promptly post them on ebay.

Of course, if a member (especially a local) were interested, I would prefer to end the auction! One is a Toshiba SDH400 (with a 250 GB drive) and the second - a Humax DRT-800 (with a 300 GB drive). Both come with original remotes, cables and the USB-Ethernet Linksys adapter. Orignal owner on both, both barely used for 2-ish years, although I only just cancelled the Toshiba's account (oops!)

Just not sure what to do with my 250GB Series 2 240-series with Lifetime. I wonder whether I should upgrade to a Premiere or whatever the new one is called. Time to do some research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #13
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
Just not sure what to do with my 250GB Series 2 240-series with Lifetime. I wonder whether I should upgrade to a Premiere or whatever the new one is called. Time to do some research.
If you don't have HD TVs, and don't want to use the extra features of the upper level TiVos, then there isn't a lot of reason to buy a newer TiVo. I myself like to have at least one TiVo DVD to play DVDs I get at the library.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
neil111

Hi. I have a TiVo Premier XL on an annual service plan that ends on March 9, 2013. It has suffered a GSOD. I'm not interested in going to Weaknees or others to rehabilitate it. What is the best way to sell it on eBay (i.e., safely describe it for the buyer so I don't get an unknowing buyer be dissatisfied with the purchase)? Any sense of what this might sell for (all caveats on, of course)?

Thanks & Happy New Year!
- Neil

Last edited by neil111 : 01-01-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarify
neil111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
I was under a clean-out-the-garage-by-year-end ultimatum, so when I read this thread, with a bunch of my favorite regulars posting suggestions, it inspired me to take a dozen or so photos each and promptly post them on ebay.

Of course, if a member (especially a local) were interested, I would prefer to end the auction! One is a Toshiba SDH400 (with a 250 GB drive) and the second - a Humax DRT-800 (with a 300 GB drive). Both come with original remotes, cables and the USB-Ethernet Linksys adapter. Orignal owner on both, both barely used for 2-ish years, although I only just cancelled the Toshiba's account (oops!)

Before you sell them.especially the Toshiba and Humax, you could make truncated backups for the benefit of others, and if you email or PM me I can get DropBox to invite you to sign up for a free account to which you could upload those images, and we'd both get extra free space when you activate your account.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
JavaJoe_2

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Although my first choice is to sell it through this site. And then I go to ebay.
This also was the route I was going to go. Until my post in the eBay Central was deleted by some moderator, I guess. Unitron replied to my post and that was the last I ever saw of it. No one informed me I was breaking their precious rules of not having a link to the auction. But, if you look there are many posting without links to eBay. Ebay and Craigslist has always worked for me and I guess will continue to. My screen name is the same for TC and for eBay. In case anyone is curious....
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Before you sell them.especially the Toshiba and Humax, you could make truncated backups for the benefit of others, and if you email or PM me I can get DropBox to invite you to sign up for a free account to which you could upload those images, and we'd both get extra free space when you activate your account.
Missed your message, sold 3 TiVos, shipped two and got the 3rd sealed.

BUTTTTT - I may have the truncated backups (mine or/and those from kind forum members over the years) stashed somewhere.

Note to self: Find truncated Backups of the following and ensure they're not nuked, and made available to members who still have these devices ...
Toshiba SD H 400
Toshiba RS-TX 20
Humax DRT 800

Also, replaytv, I have a Series 3 HD TiVo, and an HDTV. Had both for over 3-4 years now. Bought, transferred Lifetime and upgraded to 1TB. It's the reason I was no longer using my remaining TiVos!

Edit: I still have my 80 hour Lifetime Series 2, upgraded to 300+ hours (I think it's a 300GB drive = 348 hours). Takers?
Also, what's a fair ebay price for these?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!

Last edited by ashu : 01-03-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Edited to add - 80 hour Lifetime Series 2 available for sale
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
capkj

I have bought, and sold, quite a few tivo's on ebay. I think the market there is good and you can get good deals both buying and selling.
capkj is offline   Reply With Quote