Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #61
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I wonder if we'll ever be able to see the "series wrap-up" ending to this year's last episode. Has anything like that ever been included on a DVD set? It would be interesting to watch that after all the episodes have aired to see how different the ending would have been.
That could be problematical, if the "this year" ending would give too much away for the "next year" ending...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #62
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That could be problematical, if the "this year" ending would give too much away for the "next year" ending...
Oh, sorry, I meant after all of the episodes had aired, including next season's. So we could compare how it actually ended and how it might have ended (if it had ended this year).
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #63
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

On the DVD set for 24, they put the alternate ending that would have aired, had the series ended after S1. Sounds plausible.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #64
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
On the DVD set for 24, they put the alternate ending that would have aired, had the series ended after S1. Sounds plausible.

Greg
Cool. Thanks - hopefully they'll do that here as well. I think it would be interesting to see.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #65
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
But again, I think it would have a lot to do with how much in common the series finale this year and the series finale next year have. If it would give away plot points for next year, there's no way they'd put it on this year's DVDs. And it would be a bit odd to have an alternate ending for a previous season's episode on next year's DVDs...

I doubt the alternate ending for 24 Season 1 spoiled the ending for 24 Season 8!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #66
wprager

OK, let's not #%^(* it up like BSG.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #67
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
OK, let's not #%^(* it up like BSG.
How do you type that sentence without using the word "frak?"

Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #68
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Was 24's S1 alternate ending really done in case of not getting reviewed? I thought that Fox didn't like the original ending (too shocking) and told the producers to give them something else.

They did, but pushed hard for their ending... for the better IMHO
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #69
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
How do you type that sentence without using the word "frak?"

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #70
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't know what Dresden Files is, but no way is either Xena or Lara Croft urban fantasy.
Laria, get the Jim Burcher books, much better then the TV show. Also, some here may enjoy reading the “Nightside” books by Simon R. Green.

Liongate really “frak-up” the show.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor

Last edited by Johncv : 04-27-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Just to add the word “frak”
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #71
Worf

Quote:
But again, I think it would have a lot to do with how much in common the series finale this year and the series finale next year have. If it would give away plot points for next year, there's no way they'd put it on this year's DVDs. And it would be a bit odd to have an alternate ending for a previous season's episode on next year's DVDs...

I doubt the alternate ending for 24 Season 1 spoiled the ending for 24 Season 8!
Surprisingly no, actually. It can be put on as extras on next season's DVD set to boost the disc count. After all, with half the discs required, people would want the last season to be cheaper, and Fox doesn't really want that so it would be appropriate to throw in some extras to make it more appealing.

Toss in a couple more episodes (Season 4 "series finale", season 3 "series finale". Season 1 was standalone, season 3 got renewed way early in season 2). and Fox gets more content to fill the discs with, and fans get to see the "missing" episodes.

(The cost to add an extra disc is minimal, so it's more of value to the consumer. If the DVD season set is $40, a half-season with half the discs doesn't seem so worth it at $40, but if you can toss in an extras one...).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #72
Enrique

Wow, this is the most generous I've seen Fox with a TV show. I think someone up top must love the show.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #73
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
Wow, this is the most generous I've seen Fox with a TV show.
Except maybe for Dollhouse.

Or Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Fox has been AMAZINGLY generous with genre shows in recent years! FiH, Fox, indeed...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #74
Family

Quote:
Except maybe for Dollhouse.

Or Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Fox has been AMAZINGLY generous with genre shows in recent years! FiH, Fox, indeed...
Fox gave those shows one extra season. This is a second one!
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #75
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family

Fox gave those shows one extra season. This is a second one!
Yes, but renewing a low-rated first-season show is actually more of a stretch than renewing a show for a fourth or fifth season. In Fringe's case, the production studio reduced the license fee low enough that FOX couldn't say no. They do this because syndication is imminent and the more episodes, the better. A studio is not going to do that for a one-season show, because syndication is unlikely.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #76
eddyj

Add me to the "happy dance" crowd!

And Rob, you are plain wrong. If Dresden is not Urban Fantasy, nothing is.

For anyone who has not read the Dresden books and likes Fantasy, go and get them. Now.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #77
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
And Rob, you are plain wrong. If Dresden is not Urban Fantasy, nothing is.
Well, all I have to say is if this can't be the cover...

...it may be urban and it may be fantasy, but it is not, strictly speaking, Urban Fantasy.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #78
eddyj

You just want hot chicks. While nice, they do not make it Urban. Although they might make it your Fantasy.

You know, that author is doing it wrong. I went to check her out, and saw she had a whole series. Cool, I love finding a new series. But then, I saw the Kindle books were $8. No way I am paying that, when I can get the Paperback for half of that. And since I don't want to bother with the PB, I'll do without. If the first book had been priced cheap, I would have tried it, and maybe gotten hooked and bought the others. Too bad.

And yes, I know this might be the publisher's decision, not the author's. Too bad for them too.

edit: I see she has another series, in ebook only, and priced much better. So I guess I can blame the publisher.

Last edited by eddyj : 04-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #79
mattack

Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever be able to see the "series wrap-up" ending to this year's last episode. Has anything like that ever been included on a DVD set?
(I don't even watch this show -- I liked it, but I think had conflicts and/or too many shows to watch a few years ago, so stopped.. I'm waiting for an install to get done so browsing..)

The Dollhouse season 1 sets (dvd/bluray/streaming) have an unaired last episode of S1 that was going to be the series finale, until it was renewed. I haven't watched it yet, but apparently it includes a lot of ideas that were then used in the second season.

(Wow, it was 7 years ago, but after "American Dreams" finished, there was _talk_ of an extended finale episode IIRC.. but it never happened.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #80
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Dollhouse season 1 sets (dvd/bluray/streaming) have an unaired last episode of S1 that was going to be the series finale, until it was renewed. I haven't watched it yet, but apparently it includes a lot of ideas that were then used in the second season.
That was Epitaph One...it wasn't shot as a series finale, it was shot because they were contractually obligated to supply 13 episodes for the DVD, and they were informed the unaired pilot (which was cannibalized and used in a couple of other episodes) wouldn't count, so they put together a new episode on the cheap. But it was canonically part of the first season, and there was a direct sequel to it in the second season finale (Epitaph Two).
Old 04-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #81
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yes, but renewing a low-rated first-season show is actually more of a stretch than renewing a show for a fourth or fifth season. In Fringe's case, the production studio reduced the license fee low enough that FOX couldn't say no. They do this because syndication is imminent and the more episodes, the better. A studio is not going to do that for a one-season show, because syndication is unlikely.
Yes true.... but still impressive.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #82
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
You know, that author is doing it wrong. I went to check her out, and saw she had a whole series. Cool, I love finding a new series. But then, I saw the Kindle books were $8. No way I am paying that, when I can get the Paperback for half of that. And since I don't want to bother with the PB, I'll do without. If the first book had been priced cheap, I would have tried it, and maybe gotten hooked and bought the others. Too bad.
The first book in one of her series (not the one Rob showed) is the Kindle Deal of the Day today, for $1.99. So I'll give it a shot. See, publishers, lower prices do work!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #83
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever be able to see the "series wrap-up" ending to this year's last episode. Has anything like that ever been included on a DVD set? It would be interesting to watch that after all the episodes have aired to see how different the ending would have been.
No.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #84
GoHalos

OK, fair enough!