TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Buggsy2

Audio dropouts

I've had a TiVo Premier for a year with no problems. But recently it started having the audio dropout problem on playback that many others have posted about for years, over many different TiVo models. You can do the 8-sec rewind and hear the audio correctly so it's not a problem with recording.

The threads I saw seemed to suggest the problem was either Dolby output or a failing HD. I switched the output to PCM but the problem remains. I haven't tried replacing the HD yet; have others done this, and does it fix the audio dropouts? The only other thing I've tried so far is restarting the TiVo but that didn't do anything.

Edit1: I removed power, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in. Now playback audio is ok. BTW the audio dropout seemed to be on all recordings.

Last edited by Buggsy2 : 07-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Buggsy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
CybrFyre

I've seen this issue on a single channel. In some cases rewinding has the audio play ok but in others it skips again. Even worse, the AV receiver will sometimes lose audio sync. Only seeing this on Comedy Central HD. Have not tried a reboot.
CybrFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
chrispitude

In my case, the audio simply stopped playing. When I hit 7-second skipback, it comes back. It's only happened twice, and only when I turned on the TV and found it playing a live tuner without sound.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had some audio glitches since the storm last weekend that Knocked FiOS out in this area. But the glitches have been repeatable when you backup and play the section again.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
leiff

this will happen to my xl4 sometimes. Not nearly as often as my S3 would, which only happened while watching a live tunner. Xl4 does this while watching recordings too unfortunately. Quickest fix is to pause and then press rewind button one time to move 1 frame backwards and then play again.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
NYHeel

I've always had occasional audio dropouts but now I'm having extremely frequent audio dropouts that's sometimes combined with some pixelation. I would say I'm getting dropouts about once every 2-3 minutes.

My signal strength on one tuner is fluctuating between 95 and 98 with an SNR of either 37 or 38. I have 441 RS uncorrected and 100 RS corrected and that amount hasn't changed in the last few minutes. On the second tuner I have a signal strength of 91 with an SNR of 37. RS Uncorrected is 426 and RS corrected is 110. THe main difference between the two tuners seems to be that tuner 1 is fluctuating whereas the second tuner is stagnant.

Does anyone know what's causing these dropouts? I'm going to try a reboot but it's starting to get really annoying.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote