TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Ken_

Tivo Remote

My remote is aggravating and it is ready to go out the window. When I push one number it comes up twice on the TV and tries to go to that a channel with that two digit channel. I am not pushing it twice real fast. It also happens when my son uses it. Now it is happening when I push the button to bring up the channel list. It comes up and immediately goes away. Or if the list it on and I try to close it I push the button and it goes away but pops back up while my finger is not on the button.

Now my last channel won't work half the time.

Would this be the remote or the box?
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try new batteries?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
Edmund
Remote Czar

Could be IR interference from another remote, tv, lightbulbs, or ir repeater?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If new batteries don't fix it, it's most likely the remote itself. How old it is it? At 3+ years age, my remote was acting like that. I bought a new (TiVo brand) remote from Amazon for $21 and all is well now. Here's the link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o09_s00_i00
I see the price is up to $30 now. Also this remote works fine for my TiVo HD but may not be compatible with all models. Weaknees.com sells remotes also.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Ken_

I kind of figure it is the remote but when I push the last channel switch the yellow light on the Tivo lights so the remote is outputting a signal.
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

I think new batteries will fix it. In the last couple of weeks, I had noticed that my TiVo remote wasn't responding as fast as before. Then about a week ago, I started getting random "double presses". Replaced the batteries and everything is back to normal!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
nmiller855

A possible fix from the old days if new batteries don't fix it, put the batteries in backwards & push every button once. Turn the batteries around the right way & see if that helps.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
sharkster

I tried new batteries in mine and it still double clicks. It's kind of disappointing to know that a remote, that is not at all abused and only handled gently by me, is screwed up in well under a year. But I guess that's the reality.

I just got a new one on ebay as it was the only place to not have to pay $35 or more for it, and I'm noticing that it's not doing it so I guess these remotes go out pretty quickly.

BTW, the ebay seller from whom I got mine sells them for $17.99 with free shipping. BUT, it is just slightly different. It says 'Charter HD' on the bottom area of the remote, and it has an additional button called 'On Demand'. Since I do have Charter cable I'm encouraged that maybe that button will come in handy one day if they ever get On Demand through Tivo.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote