TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

WOW - Premiere 4 is a LOT Brighter!

We just bought a Premiere 4 (4 tuner with Lifetime and ext. warranty*) to replace our 2 year old Series 4 (2 tuner with Lifetime). (Going to be selling soon)

I just wanted to say, the P4 has a significantly brighter video output (side by side to the S4) that I wasn't expecting to see. I'm not sure how this difference would translate on an LED screen, but on a 60" DLP screen it makes quite a difference. At first I thought it was just in the menus - but it's in live TV and recordings as well.

Whether one likes it or not, is a YMMV - but it was something unexpected for sure! Just sayin' ...

*We also bought the 3 year warranty on the P4 - only a 90 day manufacturer's warranty on a brand new Tivo box is scary. I've never had a Tivo break, but it sure indicates a lack of confidence and support for the hardware on the part of the company!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
ah30k

I can't see how this is even technically possible???
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Well if you plug the 2 TiVos into different inputs those 2 inputs may well brightness and other settings set differently.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
We just bought a Premiere 4 (4 tuner with Lifetime and ext. warranty*) to replace our 2 year old Series 4 (2 tuner with Lifetime). (Going to be selling soon)

I just wanted to say, the P4 has a significantly brighter video output (side by side to the S4) that I wasn't expecting to see. I'm not sure how this difference would translate on an LED screen, but on a 60" DLP screen it makes quite a difference. At first I thought it was just in the menus - but it's in live TV and recordings as well.

Whether one likes it or not, is a YMMV - but it was something unexpected for sure! Just sayin' ...

*We also bought the 3 year warranty on the P4 - only a 90 day manufacturer's warranty on a brand new Tivo box is scary. I've never had a Tivo break, but it sure indicates a lack of confidence and support for the hardware on the part of the company!
Having done just the same. I too notice that difference in the brightness of the menus screens between the TP and the TP4 when utilizing the same tv/hdmi cable. There also seems to be slight more sharpness as well IMO.

I also agree that it's a shame that TiVo doesn't at least provide a full warranty for their products for a year like most CE manufacturers. I'm sure that this and things like this and that stupid Tebow promotion do peel off new TiVo sales -not a lot, but TiVo's sales number aren't significant anyways.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream

Last edited by mrsean : 12-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
I can't see how this is even technically possible???
Different hardware - two different boxes...

Quote:
Well if you plug the 2 TiVos into different inputs those 2 inputs may well brightness and other settings set differently.
I thought this too, so swapped the same TV Input/HDMI cable from one Tivo to the next - still a there difference in brightness/clarity. No complaints, just interesting.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Bob723

I'm not sure about the brightness comment - I don't see a difference - but for me the picture quality with the XL4 is significantly better than I got with my TiVo HD. Initially I had to adjust the color - everything was red with the XL4. The HD quality is fantastic - I was not expecting that when I bought the unit - and it makes watching TV even better than before. I LOVE the XL4!

Last edited by Bob723 : 12-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Bob723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
ah30k

My comment on doubting the possibility had to do with the digital nature of the source, the recording and (if using HDMI) the transmission.

There is no room for any variability in any of these up to the input of the TV.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Even though it's all digital there is still decoding and color conversion that happens when converting the MPEG-2 video to the uncompressed digital signal used by HDMI. The quality of the chip used for that process can have an effect on picture quality, regardless of your TV settings.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Even though it's all digital there is still decoding and color conversion that happens when converting the MPEG-2 video to the uncompressed digital signal used by HDMI. The quality of the chip used for that process can have an effect on picture quality, regardless of your TV settings.
Absolutely. It would be a bit puzzling for it to be the case, but most definitely possible. That said, are both units or either unit THX certified? If so, their outputs for a given input signal should be almost identical, and certainly to the human eye. It's also possible, of course, that one of the units is just mildly defective - just not so much one would notice until comparing them side by side. I surely would not expect there to be a noticeable difference between two properly functioning units with the same chip in them.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

THX certified means nothing. The non-THX version of each box has the same exact hardware as the other.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
I'm not saying you are wrong by any stretch. I'm just very surprised that it could be so. I don't have any architecture designs to say one way or the other.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm not saying that's the cause of the effect being seen by the OP. I'm simply saying that just because it's "all digital" doesn't mean there can't be some fluctuation. These types of fluctuations are more common in the analog space, but they are still entirely possible in the digital space.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
THX certified means nothing.
It means a great deal. Specifically, it means any two properly functioning units will have essentially identical outputs within very narrow ranges of variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The non-THX version of each box has the same exact hardware as the other.
That may be true, or may not. I do not know, but whether two units have the same hardware or not, if they are THX certified, then they will produce identical outputs when functioning properly. If one is not THX certified, but both have the same hardware, then it is true they should have the same output. OTOH, if one is not THX certified and does not have the same hardware, then it is not surprising, and certainly not necessarily a matter of either unit malfunctioning for them to have different outputs.

When the manufacturer seeks THX certification, it obligates itself that the production of the unit will result in highly uniform performance across the product line. The manufacturer has no such obligation for any product line that is not certified.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
My comment on doubting the possibility had to do with the digital nature of the source, the recording and (if using HDMI) the transmission.
There is no room for any variability in any of these up to the input of the TV.
But there is loads of room with the electronics that processes the output. Levels can vary all over the place including the same model.
That's called mass production. The way each is setup and/or tweaked.

The Cisco DVR from TWC has a very 'contrasty' output compared to other devices on the same input.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Got a question about the premier 4 and while this isn't really a thread encouraging other questions, I don't want to start an entire new threat.

So...do you have to have 4 cable cards for it?
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
mattack

NO. Look at the BACK of it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
NO. Look at the BACK of it.
Was that an answer to my question? If so, I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have one but am thinking about buying.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruca salt View Post
Was that an answer to my question? If so, I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have one but am thinking about buying.
1 Multi-stream CableCard can handle up to 6 tuners, so you only need 1.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
1 Multi-stream CableCard can handle up to 6 tuners, so you only need 1.
thank you moyekj
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruca salt View Post
I know I was being slightly sarcastic, but I meant even images on Amazon or somewhere else.

It's obvious that there is only one slotů Plus since you already knew about cable cards, I would've thought you'd know that current cards ("M" cards) can do multiple channels at once.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote