TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
tomhorsley

What the heck happened to my extra minutes?

I have all my season passes set to record one minute before and after the show, but my TiVo just recorded only 58 minutes of Once Upon A Time. Whyfor? There were no conflicting recordings. The recording history doesn't even mention Once Upon A Time (so it apparently thinks it recorded it normally). So now I need to download a pirate copy to see the last few minutes of the show. Aargh!
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
moyekj

If you wait a few hours or until tomorrow you can see the episode on abc.com - no pirating necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
marqattacks

It's possible that your TiVo may have restarted before the recording completed. Is this the first time that it's happened?
marqattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
tomhorsley

I think maybe it decided there were 2 new MythBusters episodes on tonight and that did cause a recording conflict due to the 1 minute overlap on each of them (I sure wish they would add code to deal with overlapping recordings on the same channel more intelligently - I'd be perfectly happy with a option I could set that just tells it to split the difference and make them not overlap).
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I think maybe it decided there were 2 new MythBusters episodes on tonight and that did cause a recording conflict due to the 1 minute overlap on each of them (I sure wish they would add code to deal with overlapping recordings on the same channel more intelligently - I'd be perfectly happy with a option I could set that just tells it to split the difference and make them not overlap).
This is why I make sure network shows are always higher in the list than syndicated/cable shows with multiple showings, if something is going to get clipped I want it to be the cable/syndicated show that I can find again later.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
I have all my season passes set to record one minute before and after the show, but my TiVo just recorded only 58 minutes of Once Upon A Time. Whyfor? There were no conflicting recordings. The recording history doesn't even mention Once Upon A Time (so it apparently thinks it recorded it normally). So now I need to download a pirate copy to see the last few minutes of the show. Aargh!
How do you do one min before??? Must be manual repeating program???
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 Tivo Mini
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
2 Roku 3
1 Apple TV 3
OCSMITH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Do you have clipping on? It sounds like the show got clipped. If you had shows that were on prior to it with an extra minute at the end and shows that were on after with an extra minute at the beginning. and the show had a lower priority. With clipping turned on you would only record 58 minutes.
I never turn clipping on. I give shows on the major networks a higher priority then cable shows since cable shows are typically repeated multiple times during the week. and I never use clipping because I don't want to miss part of the show. I would rather have the entire show or nothing.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I tried to cancel the Survivor reunion show and extend the last episode by an hour so I'd have one long recording instead of two. Tivo reported back that the operation was successful -- but it wasn't.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
This is why I make sure network shows are always higher in the list than syndicated/cable shows with multiple showings, if something is going to get clipped I want it to be the cable/syndicated show that I can find again later.
Good idea. I should do that myself.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSMITH View Post
How do you do one min before??? Must be manual repeating program???
Modifying start/stop time is right there in the options for the season pass.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
Modifying start/stop time is right there in the options for the season pass.
Don't know what I was thinking about I know thats there

Just loosing last few sec of a show drives me crazy, I have my SP with one min ex but forget if I am just looking at the guide finding onetime shows.

Thanks
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 Tivo Mini
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
2 Roku 3
1 Apple TV 3
OCSMITH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
rainwater

Disable clipping. If it is clipping cable network shows because of cable shows (which generally have multiple airings), then move your network shows higher in the list. Then if you don't want clipping of cable shows, just disable clipping. It is useless for 99% of cases.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
djwilso

Quote:
I had to move MythBusters to a WishList instead of a Season Pass due to so many of the episodes having only generic guide data recently. When they're like that, TiVo will record multiple old episodes and it is very annoying.

I wish there was a setting somewhere that said Absolutely DO NOT record the episode unless it has complete guide data and is marked as New.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
gweempose

Like the OP, I pad the beginning and end of all my recordings. Because of this, the four tuners in my XL4 really come in handy.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Disable clipping. If it is clipping cable network shows because of cable shows (which generally have multiple airings), then move your network shows higher in the list. Then if you don't want clipping of cable shows, just disable clipping. It is useless for 99% of cases.
I agree, put network shows higher than cable shows.

But I disagree with disable clipping.. I have it enabled, but for only a few shows "let" it clip. (Two that come to mind are Jimmy Fallon & Craig Ferguson.. I have a minute or so pad on the end of the previous shows because they go over their time slot and want to make sure I have the musical guest in one recording.)

But other than that, I let other shows clip (since of course there is only one master 'clip' setting).. If there WERE a per-season-pass clipping setting, I probably would default to it being on, and then turn it off as I saw how things worked.

Basically, having clipping on lets me maximize the # of shows that get recorded. Yes, I have to "babysit" it by checking to do list.. But if I record a show, I want all eps.. With infinite tuners, I wouldn't have to do this.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But I disagree with disable clipping.. I have it enabled, but for only a few shows "let" it clip. (Two that come to mind are Jimmy Fallon & Craig Ferguson.. I have a minute or so pad on the end of the previous shows because they go over their time slot and want to make sure I have the musical guest in one recording.)
I rarely have conflicts with shows on major networks, so what would get clipped for me would be shows on AMC, USA, etc. And since they repeat airings usually the same day or next, it makes no sense for me to miss the start of an episode when I can have it recorded in its entirety later.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
I had to move MythBusters to a WishList instead of a Season Pass due to so many of the episodes having only generic guide data recently. When they're like that, TiVo will record multiple old episodes and it is very annoying.
I always see tons of these in the ToDo list, but they almost always get correct guide data before they actually record and so do not record as repeats. So no need for a WL for Mythbusters or all the other Discovery shows that do this in my boxes.

Agree with others, pretty much mandatory to put network shows above cable shows because cable repeatedly airs new eps.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote