TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #2881
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
I may have a failing 2TB drive in my Roamio... a few details are here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10550720

If "Fail 7" does require a quick replacement then I'll likely get another 2TB AV-GP drive ASAP. Is dd rescue the easiest approach... and one which will keep my recordings? Or can I use the latest MFS tools? Glancing at this thread I'm a bit confused on the current status, and whether or not there are some bugs I might encounter. In the past I've used both the Linux Live disc and WinMFS. Just trying to understand the best way to accomplish the replacement with the available software these days.
There is not much real world experience with MFSTools 3.2 so no guarantees on what outcomes you will have.

ddrescue would be your best shot. What model Roamio are you running. If it a base, you might need a brick with a little more amperage.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #2882
MikeBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
There is not much real world experience with MFSTools 3.2 so no guarantees on what outcomes you will have.

ddrescue would be your best shot. What model Roamio are you running. If it a base, you might need a brick with a little more amperage.
I just ordered one of these for my Roamio that's coming. It's supposed to have more current for upgraded drives that need the extra power:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330946758662...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #2883
Dixon Butz
Anal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I just ordered one of these for my Roamio that's coming. It's supposed to have more current for upgraded drives that need the extra power:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330946758662...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That is not a LiteOn branded power supply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamp
65" Samsung UHD TV HU658550
Denon 3312 AVR 7.2
Dixon Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #2884
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that "$TB" was intended to be "4TB".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #2885
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm pretty sure that "$TB" was intended to be "4TB".
That was my guess as well.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #2886
MikeBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Butz View Post
That is not a LiteOn branded power supply.
If true, is that an issue?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #2887
Dixon Butz
Anal Member

Quote:
If true, is that an issue?
It's an over priced substitute. I would not trust it. They don't even show a clear image of the label.

Either one of these genuine Liteons would be much better. I have both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-On-PB-1...item20fd2ca869

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITEON-MODEL...item4ae75000c8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamp
65" Samsung UHD TV HU658550
Denon 3312 AVR 7.2
Dixon Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #2888
krkaufman

Quote:
What model Roamio are you running. If it a base, you might need a brick with a little more amperage.
Is there a thread, somewhere, that discusses the power issue?

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #2889
MikeBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Butz View Post
It's an over priced substitute. I would not trust it. They don't even show a clear image of the label.

Either one of these genuine Liteons would be much better. I have both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-On-PB-1...item20fd2ca869

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITEON-MODEL...item4ae75000c8
The only thing I hate worse than Ebay scammers that claim their whatever is the actual name-brand thing, is when I fall for it and pay good money to them..,

Bastards!

It this isn't a Lite-on brand name labeled power supply when I get it, I'm failing a SNAD claim with Ebay.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #2890
21364guy

My WD AV-GP 2TB drive which gave "Fail 7" seems to be in better shape now. I pulled the drive and ran the WD utilities on it. Apparently it fixed some media errors (return code 0223):
Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of diagnostic utility. The drive should now be defect free.
After that I reinstalled the drive and ran a kickstart 57. Everything seems healthy, but I'll keep an eye on the drive. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and assistance. We are back in business

21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #2891
jmbach
der Neuerer

I still would not trust the drive for long. Once I see failures, it usually cascades into something catastrophic in the end.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #2892
21364guy

Quote:

The WD drive utility repaired a few media errors. So I'm going to stick with the drive for now, but keep a careful eye on it... I do have a TiVo HD running as backup, simply to hold any important recordings I may have.

I've got a Roamio Plus (six tuners)... in particular it doesn't have an external power brick.

21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #2893
Photo_guy

Quote:
The only thing I hate worse than Ebay scammers that claim their whatever is the actual name-brand thing, is when I fall for it and pay good money to them..,

Bastards!

It this isn't a Lite-on brand name labeled power supply when I get it, I'm failing a SNAD claim with Ebay.
I understand your frustration with scam ebay listings. They get you by using a 'brand name' somewhere in the listing so it comes up in your search and, if you are not really careful you get tricked into buying something that is not what you thought. Been there, done that.

Unfortunately I think they got you on this one. The key phrases in the listing are: "...For Liteon Model" in the title and "To Replace and Compatible Part Number/Model Number: Liteon Model: PB-1300-02SA-ROHS Part#: 4019611B"

IMO, The effort is probably not worth it to return it.

Photo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #2894
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
My WD AV-GP 2TB drive which gave "Fail 7" seems to be in better shape now. I pulled the drive and ran the WD utilities on it. Apparently it fixed some media errors (return code 0223):
Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of diagnostic utility. The drive should now be defect free.
After that I reinstalled the drive and ran a kickstart 57. Everything seems healthy, but I'll keep an eye on the drive. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and assistance. We are back in business
Hard drives have more sectors than they admit to having. In a situation like yours, they copy the data from the bad sectors to hidden sectors as best they can, then shuffle things around so the hidden ones used are no longer hidden and appear to have the addresses of the bad ones, and they mark the bad ones as bad and hide them.

But you've still got a drive that's started going bad.

Strongly suggest you pick up a WD20EURX as a replacement and "Xerox" the EURS to it very soon.

The MFS Live cd v1.4 has

dd_rescue

and the jmfs cd v1.04 has

ddrescue

which are similar to one another and either can be used to do the "Xeroxing".

If you were running the WD software off of a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, you can launch PartedMagic on it and then exit to its shell and run

ddrescue

from it as well.

A lot of drive copying programs will be looking for PC type partition maps--the two Linux utilities I mentioned ignore that and just copy bytes without caring if it's a DOS style MBR or an Apple Partition Map or even if it's whatever those bytes are on an unformatted drive--they'll copy whatever's on the source drive at the byte level.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #2895
gespears

WD Green 6 TB on sale at Newegg for 220 using code ESCAVAP28 but only for 4 days. I just wish it had the 3 year warranty.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #2896
MikeBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_guy View Post
I understand your frustration with scam ebay listings. They get you by using a 'brand name' somewhere in the listing so it comes up in your search and, if you are not really careful you get tricked into buying something that is not what you thought. Been there, done that.

Unfortunately I think they got you on this one. The key phrases in the listing are: "...For Liteon Model" in the title and "To Replace and Compatible Part Number/Model Number: Liteon Model: PB-1300-02SA-ROHS Part#: 4019611B"

IMO, The effort is probably not worth it to return it.

It is in fact a 3rd party Chinese clone power supply, and not even the one pictured in the photos on their Ebay auction! I filed a SNAD claim with Ebay, and was given a postage paid label to send it back at their expense. I will then get a full refund.

It IS worth fighting these scammers, and you can get it all taken care of at no expense when handled right. Sure it's only $12, but I don't want to let a scammer win at my expense.