TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
tvlandfanJG

S2 dual tuner tivos and Comcast, Malden, MA

This issue has probably been dealt with here but I canít find the thread.

Iím visiting relatives in MA and trying to help with their Tivo v. Comcast issue. They have 4 S2s, two single tuners and two dual tuners. The two dual tuners will not work with the Comcast equipment. They have Motorola boxes connected in front of all 4 tivos. The dual tuner tivos canít change the channel on the cable boxes. I havenít spoken with anyone from Comcast yet but my relatives had a service call and were told the dual tuner tivos donít work with Comcast equipment.

Is there any kind of a work around for this issue or has Comcast Massachusetts succeeded in extorting its customers into settling for the Comcast DVR?

Thanks in advance.
tvlandfanJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

What model of cable box are they using? My parents got Motorola DCI105COM1 DTAs when Comcast went all digital in MA and one of the Motorola codes worked fine with an IR blaster even on a series 1 TiVo.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If the cable boxes are the same model and the Tivos are sending out the same code, then they should work. The S2DT's are newer than the S2's so they should have the same code available to output. Have you tried swapping a working cable box to an S2DT unit?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

It's the same as most other "all digital" locations, only the locals are on analog, the S2 DT should work just fine as a single tuner unit.

As expected Comcast has no idea what they're talking about, they're compatible.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
tvlandfanJG

Well, I got one tuner working

Thanks for your help so far.

I swapped out the cable boxes on one of the S2DTs. This Motorola box (DCT2244) has a serial port so, once I hooked that to the Tivo, at least Tivo can change channels on one tuner.

When I run guided setup, tivo instructs that I must use a splitter on the coax cable in to enable dual tuner capability. This Tivo S2 is model TCD649180. When I attach a splitter and run the output to cable in on the Motorola box and the Tivo, I can view the output of one tuner but the second tuner (which draws its input from the coax line connected directly to the Tivoís cable in) only shows me a message from Comcast advising me that I need their digital equipment to access the signal.

At home I have an S2DT and a Premiere XL. Neither Tivo requires that the cable in line must be split to enable the dual tuner. Is it the case that newer S2DTs split the signal internally whereas the S2DT Iím working with doesnít have this capability? The Tivo in question (TCD649180) was purchased/activated in June 2007.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlandfanJG View Post
...At home I have an S2DT and a Premiere XL. Neither Tivo requires that the cable in line must be split to enable the dual tuner. Is it the case that newer S2DTs split the signal internally whereas the S2DT I’m working with doesn’t have this capability? The Tivo in question (TCD649180) was purchased/activated in June 2007.

Thanks again.
When the S2DT is used with a cable box(including digital transport adapters), the dual tuner capability is lost. Always has been the case. S2DT only works as dual tuner if it is receiving analog signals directly from the cable line, with no intervening boxes involved.

When the cable system in one's locale decides to go absolutely all digital, the S2DT is rendered to be no more useful then any other single tuner series 2 Tivo. Just a fact of life.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 08-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
When the S2DT is used with a cable box(including digital transport adapters), the dual tuner capability is lost. Always has been the case. S2DT only works as dual tuner if it is receiving analog signals directly from the cable line, with no intervening boxes involved.

When the cable system in one's locale decides to go absolutely all digital, the S2DT is rendered to be no more useful then any other single tuner series 2 Tivo. Just a fact of life.
That's what I thought.

Last time I was here Comcast wasn't all digital so the S2DTs still worked. Oh well.