TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #31
Cainebj

I thought this was a good episode although I was surprised at how many of them botched it up.

I am glad the Cousin It dress won.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

What is it with some of these guys, cutting dresses so short that you can see all the model's business on the runway? Seriously, WTF? For a red carpet look, you send the model down the runway with her ass hanging out?
[/i]?
I guess no ass is generally a good idea but plenty of stars go down the red carpet with their tatas hanging out or in sheer fabric. It's hard to hide ass with sheer. I'm looking (closely) at you Rihanna. She goes both tatas and sheer on the red carpet.

If you can't even get in the top 3 with $120 a yard fabric then maybe you're not as good as you think you are. I was fine with Sean winning but I would have probably picked Kini FTW.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/27022...nce-to-rihanna
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I liked the episode quite a bit. There were some beautiful and some really really bad dresses.

I liked the "go back to Mode" option, but did not like it that contestants could give money they weren't using to others. It didn't make a difference in the outcome, but I didn't like that the designers didn't have a level playing field due to the extra money.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #34
robojerk

I'm surprised how little drama came from Sandhya spending hundreds of dollar$ more than anyone else. At least she wasn't on top looks, imagine the other contestants reaction of she had won.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #35
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I guess no ass is generally a good idea but plenty of stars go down the red carpet with their tatas hanging out or in sheer fabric. It's hard to hide ass with sheer.
I'm not talking about sheer fabric in this case. I'm talking about the designer who cut his dress so short, it literally couldn't cover his model's derriere.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm not talking about sheer fabric in this case. I'm talking about the designer who cut his dress so short, it literally couldn't cover his model's derriere.
We see that a lot in this show. It drives me nuts too.

Designers, an inch longer than what you thought it should have been would have made the difference. Or just measure before you cut!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
Cainebj

Sean's Cousin It blue dress was featured on the Fashion Police Friday night on E.

They tore it to shreds.

Apparently there was a very similar dress in grey tones worn by - i wanna say Gwen Stefani? -

Their biggest complaint was they think the fringe should have been adapted to show off Heidi Klum's body... It was only interesting when she twirled to show off the movement of the fringe and when standing still it had no shape.

Or something like that.

They did give Heidi props for showing up to the Creative Arts Emmys "supporting" one of her designers but they thought it was a big fail.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #38
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Sean's Cousin It blue dress was featured on the Fashion Police Friday night on E.

They tore it to shreds.
They had so much fun tearing it to shreds, I decided to keep that recording instead of dumping afterwards.

My favorite line: that Heidi looked like a toilet bowl brush.

Maybe they were right, and the fringe should have been cut shorter. But if it had been, the dress wouldn't have looked like anything special -- it would have looked like Heidi borrowed a Latin dress from the wardrobe people at Dancing With the Stars.

Given what they said about the winning design -- just think of what Joan and all the rest would have said about the looks in the bottom three.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-30-2014 at 10:46 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #39
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

I'm over the fringe on this season. Amanda's won twice with it - once in the team challenge with the three mod looks - super cute! and then last week with an absolutely hideous dress, imho). And now this, which I liked, but didn't think was the strongest look out there. Fade (sp?) stripe was really striking.

Why oh why did so many designers get nearly the exact same fabric the second time at mood after a bad critique on it the first time! Use your brains! And am I the only one who didn't feel the slightest bit sorry for Korina crying when she's been so horrible this season?

tta
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #40
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
Why oh why did so many designers get nearly the exact same fabric the second time at mood after a bad critique on it the first time! Use your brains! And am I the only one who didn't feel the slightest bit sorry for Korina crying when she's been so horrible this season?
It shows a real lack of imagination to me, that her idea was 'green' and not much more.

To get back to Fashion Police for a moment -- this is one of the times where you can see that Lifetime has really ruined this show in a lot of ways.

If they are going to ask the designers to come up with a red carpet look that Heidi will wear to the Emmys, couldn't they give the designers two days to complete their looks?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #41
Cainebj

Quote:
To get back to Fashion Police for a moment -- this is one of the times where you can see that Lifetime has really ruined this show in a lot of ways.
I am curious why you would say that was Lifetime's fault?
You think the network gets to pick the schedule?

I would think there is someone else on the production side of it that sets the schedule and timing of the challenges.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #42
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I am curious why you would say that was Lifetime's fault?
You think the network gets to pick the schedule?

I would think there is someone else on the production side of it that sets the schedule and timing of the challenges.
Good point, but whoever had that idea, it's nuts for a challenge like this, where Heidi is really going to wear the results in public.

Tim Gunn was on Jimmy Kimmel's show last night and said that the one-day challenges are 10 hours long.

Sketching, going to Mood, designing the patterns, cutting the fabric, sewing the garment, styling it -- the works.

And then the judges see stuff and sniff. Jimmy and Tim were saying "Let the judges do it!" and then they'd see how hard it was.

The judges complain that they don't want the show to be "Top seamster/seamstress" but someone has engineered things so that's what the show is.

It's not so bad for the challenges which are only runway looks, but if you want stuff to hold up to a close-up inspection, some people need more time to construct the garment.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-27-2014 at 11:49 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #43
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Kini got robbed again. He should have won.

And Sandya should have gone home. Bleh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #44
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Rock the Wedding OAD 8/28/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Kini got robbed again. He should have won.

And Sandya should have gone home. Bleh.
Yeah, if I had been in Sean's place, I would have answered the question about who would win straight up:

"Kini should win. I had time problems, and he graciously helped me finish my look. The blouse was my design, but the impeccable execution is his. He was a great teammate."

Seriously, he had just come off of a win of his own and had immunity.

Not only did he get a huge ride on Kini's coattails, he also got saved by Tim Gunn, who suggested a cummerbund for the waistband/waist embellishment on the trousers.

I was flabbergasted when I heard him say that he hadn't thought of that. Really? You are making a pair of tuxedo pants and it NEVER occurred to you to make a cummerbund? It's an obvious borrowed-from-the-boys idea, although for a wedding look, I might have done something softer.

It was really shabby of Sean to put Kini in the position where to get credit for his work, he would have to throw his teammate under the bus.

I wish Sandya had gone home, but I can hear the judges now, saying that if it was Sandya's fault that they had used the vile yellow color, why didn't Char speak up for herself, yada yada yada. I feel for her.

When I heard the teaser where they gave the judges' reaction of saying something was a toilet paper accident, I wondered if they were talking about the burgundy lace dress with the appliques on top.

I'm wondering if they double-eliminated people last week to make the schedule come out right again because they had expected a Tim Gunn save earlier in the season, so they would have an even number of designers this week. It would have been tempting to send both Char and Sandya home this week.

I can see why, for a team challenge with two looks, it would be easier logistically to have an even number of contestants left over so they could all be in teams of two.

I loved fade's textile. I even liked parts of Emily's look. It could have been stunning if it had been more refined.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #45
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would have like Emily's look a little more if she had the veil over the models face, or have it at all. When it was down it looked like one of the designs previously (by someone I can't remember).

Kini really was robbed. Again. He should have won last week also. I didn't think about it like Sean throwing Kini under the bus, but now that you say it, yes, it was Tim's idea and Kini's help.

I am thinking that if Sandya had been eliminated Tim would have used his 'save' for her.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #46
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Apart from fade and Kini, if we had a Tardis and could transport this season's designers back in time to some of the earlier seasons of Runway (yeah, I know, can't cross the timestream, let's ignore that for now), I can't see any of this season's designers doing really well against the 'classic' winners I watched when the show was on Bravo.

Christian Sirano would crush them, you know what I mean?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #47
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Apart from fade and Kini, if we had a Tardis and could transport this season's designers back in time to some of the earlier seasons of Runway (yeah, I know, can't cross the timestream, let's ignore that for now), I can't see any of this season's designers doing really well against the 'classic' winners I watched when the show was on Bravo.

Christian Sirano would crush them, you know what I mean?

Oh my yes. lol

I don't think Amanda would have lasted long back in the 'good ole days'.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #48
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I thought it quite odd that Tim said "if it were later in the season, I definitely would use my save". HUH? If you think someone should be saved, why not use it? I guess it would have screwed up the production schedule.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #49
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
I thought it quite odd that Tim said "if it were later in the season, I definitely would use my save". HUH? If you think someone should be saved, why not use it? I guess it would have screwed up the production schedule.
I didn't think it was odd at all.
I think it means he thinks there are weaker designers still competing BUT he also thinks there are stronger ones that he wants to hold onto the save for just in case. Makes sense to me.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #50
Azlen

With all the air time that Amanda and Korina got, I was sure that Korina was going to be one of the people in danger of going home. Was shocked when they were right in the middle. They rarely seem to give much air time to people who are just safe.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #51
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Enhanced edition: "The Klum of Doom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Each week at 8PM, the previous week's episode airs on Lifetime as an "Enhanced Version". For example, tonight my DVR recorded "A Suitable Twist (Enhanced Version)".

I watched part of one of the Enhanced episodes, but didn't notice anything different from the previous week, but now I'm curious. Does anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I'm surprised how little drama came from Sandhya spending hundreds of dollar$ more than anyone else. At least she wasn't on top looks, imagine the other contestants reaction of she had won.
As I said earlier, the enhanced episodes have a half-hour less running time than the initial airing. If other repeats during the week are also cut down (IIRC, they are) then it would be easy to see the episode twice and not notice the differences.

The only thing that I saw, that I didn't remember from the "first-night" airing, is that they showed the designers casting votes for which dress they thought should have won or lost. I think Sean's blue number got six votes, so he was the designers' choice for the win as well as the judges' choice.

Almost all of the references to the designers being able to get more money from contestants who weren't going to Mood were cut out. So who knows what drama there might have been over Sandya's dress -- we saw even less of the machinations than they showed us in the long-form episode.

We now return you to the current episode discussion.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #52
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
With all the air time that Amanda and Korina got, I was sure that Korina was going to be one of the people in danger of going home. Was shocked when they were right in the middle. They rarely seem to give much air time to people who are just safe.
yes, this! I was quite disappointed Korina wasn't in the bottom. Ugh.

tta