TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Punker1234

PY Tivo transfer speed, faster on N wireless?

Hey folks.

A quick question here. My entire house setup is on a N wireless network, but my Premiere is using the dated G Tivo wireless adapter. I tried hooking up my N adapter to the Tivo but then read that N adapters don't work on Premieres so I may buy a bridge.

However, my main reason for doing so is the slow transfer speeds using Pytivo. On average when I pull from the pc to the box, it's 2-3 x the playtime of the file. So if it's a 2 hour movie, typically takes 6 hours to code and transfer (full hd movies).

Does anyone know if I hook my Tivo up with a bridge ore N wireless adapter will I see an increase in speed? I have a fast computer with a high end cpu so I'm assuming that's not the bottleneck. Thoughts? Thanks!
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

An N bridge would help but that transfer speed is very slow even for G. Is the Tivo getting a strong signal? I would consider setting the router to a different channel or try other things to improve the network performance before paying for new equipment. You can theoretically do better than real-time even with a G adapter.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Punker1234

Hi Big Jim. Thanks for the reply!

Tivo signal is typically at 80-85. I will try a different channel, but I've never had issues with any of my devices, and my desktop on n wireless downloads and uploads at 5/30 mbps.

Any thoughts on what other things I should try? On a g wireless adapter, whats the typical transfer speed? Just doing some quick math, it took 113 minutes to transfer 49 minutes of video, so we're looking at 2.3 times to transfer.

And does it matter how I do the transfer? I'm running Pytvio, then going to the Tivo downloads folder on the Tivo itself and transferring from there.

Thanks again for the help.

PS, just looking at a quick graph, my upload speed appears to be 800-900 kb a second on my network when transferring a file to my Tivo.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

There are probably a lot of articles on the web that might help. There are a ton of variables so it's hard for anybody else to troubleshoot what the problem is in your specific circumstances. I'm not a wiz myself, I just know that speed isn't normal.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
waterchange

Possible that the ffmpeg transcode is the bottleneck? If you have a hub/switch available, one way to test this is to temporarily move the Tivo next to PC and connect both via ethernet and test your transcode/transfer speeds.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
Possible that the ffmpeg transcode is the bottleneck? If you have a hub/switch available, one way to test this is to temporarily move the Tivo next to PC and connect both via ethernet and test your transcode/transfer speeds.
I'm actually going to try this. I haven't done this in years so this should be interesting, not really a network guru. I'm afraid I'm going to modify settings and screw everything up. Side note, I actually pushed the file and the speeds dropped to about 2 x instead of 2.3 on the same file.

If ffmpeg is the bottleneck, is there any fix? I think my file is only about a year old. IS there a place to update it? I was always so confused by the variations of ffmpeg files.

PS, if I"m correct, my build date on ffmpeg on Pytvio when starting a transfer mentions a build date of Aug 2010.

Last edited by Punker1234 : 07-09-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Punker1234

Okay, quick update. I tried a newer ffmpeg, and I'm now transferring at 17gb a second, which is about 1.4 times of the file. I was surprised how much that made a difference. However, I'm reading that some even get 40-50-60gb a second. Not sure what my limit factor is. I heard some ffmpegs can take advantage of multiple cores, maybe that's where I"m off? IF someone has a link to a newer ffmpeg, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Punker1234 : 07-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
jcthorne

Transfers are much faster if you push or pull a file that does not need to be transcoded for the TiVo. IE in a format the TiVo can play natively.

You are not getting 17 gb/s. Perhaps you meant 17 Mb/s?

For properly encoded files, the transfer should be significantly less than real time. IE you can start playing the file very soon after the transfer starts and never run out of data.

Your TiVo will work far better on a wired network like moca than it ever will on wireless. If you are thinking about purchasing network hardware, you really should think about moca rather than another wireless solution.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
fyodor

You might want to consider switching to MoCA or powerline. These have been favorably reviewed and are pretty cheap (48.00 for two). You may need a third one depending on where your computer is located (i.e. if it doesn't have a wired connection to your switch.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Compa...dnet+powerline

MoCA works best of all but is somewhat more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker1234 View Post
Hey folks.

A quick question here. My entire house setup is on a N wireless network, but my Premiere is using the dated G Tivo wireless adapter. I tried hooking up my N adapter to the Tivo but then read that N adapters don't work on Premieres so I may buy a bridge.

However, my main reason for doing so is the slow transfer speeds using Pytivo. On average when I pull from the pc to the box, it's 2-3 x the playtime of the file. So if it's a 2 hour movie, typically takes 6 hours to code and transfer (full hd movies).

Does anyone know if I hook my Tivo up with a bridge ore N wireless adapter will I see an increase in speed? I have a fast computer with a high end cpu so I'm assuming that's not the bottleneck. Thoughts? Thanks!

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Hey folks.

Thoughts? Thanks!
My thought is you should do more testing before spending much more money. I have a small TiVo with wireless N feeding a WNDR4000 router/switch. I have a Win7 laptop with a WD FreeAgent USB 1TB drive to store the files. To transfer a 1080i TV 1 hour show takes about 20 minutes. One hour of ABC or Fox is quicker with HD basic cable somewhere in the middle. kmttg indicates a bitrate on the 1080i files of 18 to 19Mbs. I use the TiVo Desktop program with the cookie fix.

The laptop is hardwired to the switch. The LED on my laptop seems to indicate the network is not close to saturation during a transfer. If it's a wifi problem, buy a cheap CAT-5 cable for testing. And, should you wish other feedback, just search the Premiere forum for "transfer rate". You are not alone.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
waterchange

pyTivo instructions mention trying static builds of ffmpeg that you can get here:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

When I mentioned ffmpeg transcode, I was more concerned with the bottleneck being the CPU rather than different versions of ffmpeg giving a performance boost (which is great). Hopefully your CPU is decent and not the limiting factor.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Punker1234

Okay, there we go gentlemen. I now am now transferring crazy fast with Tivo connected to my router via cable., so my network (my g wireless adapter on my tivo) is the culprit. I can now transfer a full HD 10-12 gig movie that's 2:30 hours in about 1:30 hours. SO much better.

Now, do you think a wireless N bridge would keep up with the rest of my network? I realize it may not be as fast, but I'd assuming i'd at least get a 1:1 transfer speed.

Last edited by Punker1234 : 07-11-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
pyTivo instructions mention trying static builds of ffmpeg that you can get here:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

When I mentioned ffmpeg transcode, I was more concerned with the bottleneck being the CPU rather than different versions of ffmpeg giving a performance boost (which is great). Hopefully your CPU is decent and not the limiting factor.

Definitely not the CPU, I appeared to have solved my problems. Do a lot of ffmpeg have a variety of qualities? I got a much more recent version and the coding is just so much faster, and I can't really tell a difference in quality but I could be a poor judge.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Okay, there we go gentlemen. I now am now transferring crazy fast with Tivo connected to my router via cable., so my network (my g wireless adapter on my tivo) is the culprit. I can now transfer a full HD 10-12 gig movie that's 2:30 hours in about 1:30 hours. SO much better.

Now, do you think a wireless N bridge would keep up with the rest of my network? I realize it may not be as fast, but I'd assuming i'd at least get a 1:1 transfer speed.
May I ask what full HD movie that runs for 2.5 hours is using 10-12Gb? Or did you mean that was the bit rate?

Do you have a wireless PC on your network? If so, there is a cute free utility called inSSIDer 3 that can display all wifi it finds in your area.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
May I ask what full HD movie that runs for 2.5 hours is using 10-12Gb? Or did you mean that was the bit rate?

Do you have a wireless PC on your network? If so, there is a cute free utility called inSSIDer 3 that can display all wifi it finds in your area.
I guess it's not full HD, but it's a 12 gig mkv file. PC is wireless N, but Im assuming if I get a N bridge and hook my tivo up to that I'd be okay?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I guess it's not full HD, but it's a 12 gig mkv file. PC is wireless N, but Im assuming if I get a N bridge and hook my tivo up to that I'd be okay?
I would assume so.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
Punker1234

Well, hooked up my Tivo to an N bridge apadter and I'm still only getting decent speeds. It now takes me 5 minutes to transfer 4 minutes of video, where wired it took me 4 minutes to transfer 5 minutes when wired.

I guess nothing beats wired... So strange that even with this adapter it's still slower than wired, by a long shot. It's not my pc, as my pc is wireless and I hooked up the Tivo to the router directly, not my computer. Suggestions? Should I go with a Powerline as this point? Hate not having the fastest speed after "demoing" it while running a cord across the house.

Last edited by Punker1234 : 07-16-2013 at 12:48 AM.