TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
DrGirlfriend

Arrow Spontaneous Reboot

Just set-up a new (to me) Premiere box with wireless connection and Comcast. Was in the middle of watching a show (live TV) on the second day of having it and the stupid thing restarted itself. Lost 5 minutes of the show I was watching. It went back to normal for a couple minutes. Then it went to the M Card info screen! I hit Clear and it went back to programming. What is the problem?
DrGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to happen. I've had my XL4 for about three months, and it's happened once to me...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
sharkster

My experience has been similar to Bierboy's. I replaced my old S2 Tivos a year ago with Premieres. Both of my Premieres have done this. That was some time ago and it hasn't happened since.

It could be that I think too much, but I get this vibe that they have this 'settling in' period. At first I had a few weird, glitchy, things happen with my new Tivos and then they seemed to be fine. I think it takes a short while for them to recognize the best times for updating, based on your habits. After a short while my living room Tivo learned to schedule stuff like that during the night and my bdrm Tivo does it during the day. So, if it has to restart, it doesn't interfere in live-watching or recording.

When they are brand new, to your house, they always have a barrage of updating to do, between software and guide info updates.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Brand new out of the box they generally require at least one update. Thus the recommendation that you power up and connect to the internet a say or so prior to cable setup. This to allow needed updates to download.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (awaiting Android support/app update)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Going to the CableCARD is a possible indicator that it is not properly paired.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
DrGirlfriend

Thanks everyone! Since I posted it has gone to the CableCard screen twice. I'll keep an eye on it but I hope it isn't the card. I won't bore you with the craptacular story of getting the thing from Comcast.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Wink Hope This Helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGirlfriend View Post
Since I posted it has gone to the CableCard screen twice
i had the same issue with a new premiere xl, comcast, and a moto m-card. this is what stopped the issue for me, hope it helps:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...45#post9071645

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Since I posted it has gone to the CableCard screen twice. I'll keep an eye on it but I hope it isn't the card. I won't bore you with the craptacular story of getting the thing from Comcast.
Call your cable company and have them pair the cable card again. It happened to me today and eventually, after constantly "clearing" that grey screen, I then couldn't get any channels because they weren't "authorized". In any case, I'm now waiting for my 5th, that's right, 5th replacement box.

There's a whole thread on these damned spontaneous reboots:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=485145&page=5
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
DrGirlfriend

Thanks NorthAlabama! Hopefully it won't come to that but I'm glad to see a sane & uncomplicated fix for it.

Wendy - I read some of your thread. Horrific. So sorry this is happening to you. I hope it stops soon!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
sharkster

Ok, it's your fault.

After saying all that, I was in my bdrm this morning watching something from the living room. Just as I hit FF to blow through a commercial segment it got 'stuck'. I thought oh crap, but waited to see if anything happened before unplugging it. A moment later it spontaneously restarted itself. argh. But it didn't get stuck on any weird screens or anything. I guess that sort of thing just happens sometimes.

One odd thing, that I don't know if it was elemental or not, I had just (within the hour) restarted that Tivo because every now and then I have to do that to delete a certain show from the deleted folder.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Just set-up a new (to me) Premiere box with wireless connection and Comcast. Was in the middle of watching a show (live TV) on the second day of having it and the stupid thing restarted itself. Lost 5 minutes of the show I was watching. It went back to normal for a couple minutes. Then it went to the M Card info screen! I hit Clear and it went back to programming. What is the problem?
I was told by a service tech @ Tivo the cable cards becoming defective which will cause the constant reboots. Even during the viewing of a program.
This had been almost a daily issue until I had a new card replaced an the problem resolved itself..
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I specifically remember this happening twice to me when I set up my Premiere Elite. I attributed it to a firmware update on the DVR or the cablecard.

I remember it because I was so terrified that I spent the coin on a nice new fancy DVR and it was already broken .
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
DrGirlfriend

Thank for the vote of confidence, sharkster!
Yes, it did cross my mind that I had bought a defective box and I could feel the righteous indignation rising. But, it stopped restarting and/or going to the cable card screen, so I feel better. Just gonna chalk it up to being new. Thanks everyone!