TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Season Pass

I am confused about using "Season Pass" on my Premiere. My wife has certain shows she wants to collect all episodes of. An example would be "I Love Lucy". Episodes air on at least three different channels in our Comcast lineup. I was hoping that setting a Season Pass for Lucy would grab all episodes on whatever channel was broadcasting same. Apparently not??

Seeing that likelyhood, I tried to set up a second Season Pass for Lucy shows airing on another channel. The Tivo would not let me it seems. It did not produce an error but did not create the season pass either. It would only allow each airing to be setup to record individually.

What am I missing and what am I doing wrong?
tmozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
ggieseke

Season Passes are channel specific. For something like I Love Lucy an Auto Record Wishlist is what you need.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Ok, so I deleted any Season Passes related to "I Love Lucy" and created an "I Love Lucy" Auto Record Wishlist. Will it repeat episodes (record the same episode from different channels)? I'd like to prevent that if possible (automatically).
Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

It will record from different channels and will only record duplicates if you set the Wish List to do so (All - with Duplicates).
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
LifeIsABeach

Make sure you set the wishlist to keep all episodes. I have forgotten this before and by default it will keep only 10 IIRC.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Auto Record Wishlist is what Season Pass should be. I don't know why they don't simplify things and just make "record all available channels" a Season Pass option.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Auto Record Wishlist is what Season Pass should be. I don't know why they don't simplify things and just make "record all available channels" a Season Pass option.
As long as it's only an option.

Sure it's nice if you want to grap every episode of something in heavy syndication, or if you've got a recording conflict on HBO or Showtime and you'd prefer it grab from the pacific feed rather than waiting until after midnight to grab the repeat airing on the primary channel.
But there are situations where grabbing from multiple channels is annoying.

For example if you only want new episodes but the syndicated ones on another channel lack guide data. Restricting to one channel prevents the TiVo from recording all those old episodes "just to be safe".

Of if you're watching a serialized show you want the episodes that one channel is broadcasting in order; not a random mix from multiple channels. (Although the annoyance of this would be reduced if the TiVo had a "sort by original air date" option in Now Playing folders)

Or new broadcasts where the show is aired on the HD and SD channel simultaniously. You likely only want one, but need some way of indicating which you want. (Although removing the SD channels would work; and I normally do that anyway)
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
In what possible, conceivable way is that simpler? If you want a recording routine that targets a single channel, create a Season Pass. If you want one that is not restricted to any particular channel, create a Wish List entry. It's no more difficult to do one than the other, and they are very different things to execute.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
In what possible, conceivable way is that simpler? If you want a recording routine that targets a single channel, create a Season Pass. If you want one that is not restricted to any particular channel, create a Wish List entry. It's no more difficult to do one than the other, and they are very different things to execute.
I generally agree, but there are two specific ways a wishlist is more difficult than a season pass.

1) You (usually/often) have to type out the name rather than picking it from a list. (Upside you can do that even when it's not in the guide; downside it's more keystrokes to set up.

2) You sometimes have to do non-obvious things to get a wishlist to work as desired. An season pass for 'Friends' is only going to record episodes of that one show. A title wishlist for "Friends" is going to pull in a bunch of additional (unwanted) material. Sure you can probably fix that; but it's potentially more difficult to get right than a straight forward season pass.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
You seem to be relatively new. So, you have yet to experience the power offered by having multiple methods to record content.

As time goes on, you will probably see the value of having these different methods. Once you have a bunch of shows and want to continue to record new content instead of just archive, it will come to you.

Good luck!