TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question extended warranty options

I recently got a 4-tuner Premiere. Everything works great so far. I see that I can get a 2yr extended warranty from TiVo directly for this unit for $29. I also see how Square Trade will offer 2 years for $19.

Not sure I will get one yet, but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Square Trade? Good? Bad?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I recently got a 4-tuner Premiere. Everything works great so far. I see that I can get a 2yr extended warranty from TiVo directly for this unit for $29. I also see how Square Trade will offer 2 years for $19.

Not sure I will get one yet, but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Square Trade? Good? Bad?
Are you paying monthly or did you buy lifetime? I haven't seen anything negative about Square Trade but there is some question about the transferability of lifetime service with the Square Trade warranty (no issue with the one you can buy through TiVo). If you bought lifetime and want to go with Square Trade I would contact TiVo and see what they have to say about it.

Just as a side note after you are past TiVo's 90 warranty, the extended warranty you buy through TiVo is a ONE time only warranty. You use it, it is done.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

I got the Square Trade 2 year for $19 as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Are you paying monthly or did you buy lifetime? I haven't seen anything negative about Square Trade but there is some question about the transferability of lifetime service with the Square Trade warranty (no issue with the one you can buy through TiVo). If you bought lifetime and want to go with Square Trade I would contact TiVo and see what they have to say about it.

Just as a side note after you are past TiVo's 90 warranty, the extended warranty you buy through TiVo is a ONE time only warranty. You use it, it is done.
Paying monthly for the TiVo. I have a lifetime 2-tuner that I got from Best Buy and got their 4yr extended warranty. Was told it can be transferred too. This 4-tuner Premiere wasn't bought from Best Buy though. Hence the reason I am looking into these other options (TiVO & square trade)

I actually am not really a fan of extended warranties for the most part, but I figured for what I paid for the lifetime of the 2-tuner Premiere, it was a good piece of mind knowing the item will be protected for at least the period it will take to break even with the lifetime.

And I did not know about TiVo's warranty being a "one and done" type thing. Could tip it in favor of the Square Trade.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

The fact is, it is very unlikely that something will break that you cannot fix. I would roll without it, as these insurance policies are there for a purpose, pure profit to the seller.