TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

After several months of things working mostly fine, I'm now getting into cable card trouble.

Last Thursday, I couldn't get an HBO Xfinity OnDemand show to work, so I called Comcast and they sent me several signals to get it working. That fixed it for 20 mintues, but then it quit working again, and then HBOHD itself (Live TV), and several other HD channels stopped coming in, saying I was not authorized to view that content (though my networks continued to come in). Comcast sent out a service tech, who replaced the cable card the next day.

Last night, same issue started happening again.

I will try a forced connect and reboot when I get home, but another (likely useless) Comcast tech is coming out tomorrow.

I'm getting nervous that they will have no clue how to fix this.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfNebraska View Post
After several months of things working mostly fine, I'm now getting into cable card trouble.

Last Thursday, I couldn't get an HBO Xfinity OnDemand show to work, so I called Comcast and they sent me several signals to get it working. That fixed it for 20 mintues, but then it quit working again, and then HBOHD itself (Live TV), and several other HD channels stopped coming in, saying I was not authorized to view that content (though my networks continued to come in). Comcast sent out a service tech, who replaced the cable card the next day.

Last night, same issue started happening again.

I will try a forced connect and reboot when I get home, but another (likely useless) Comcast tech is coming out tomorrow.

I'm getting nervous that they will have no clue how to fix this.
There is no need to be nervous about it. The tech DEFINITELY WON"T KNOW how to fix it.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #33
imccubbin

Similar problem getting a cable card activated with Comcast

I also had a very difficult time with Comcast getting a cable card to work. I was upgrading to a Tivo Premiere XL4 from a Series 3 HD (which by the way also uses a cable card). When I bought the Series 3 I had just moved in my house 5 years ago which was just built in a new subdivision and Comcast was sending a guy out to each house installing the equipment. I went down to the local Comcast office to pick up a cable card and "assumed" all I needed to do was put it in the TiVo box and it would work. No one at the lcoal comcast office told me that I needed to have the card activated. I made 6 separate calls to Comcast giving them the same information (the cards serial number, host id, etc.) and they kept saying they were sending a signal out and the card should work within 45 minutes. The 2nd to last time I called, the support person said that the card was probably bad. I was about ready to return to the local office and return the card and have them set up an appointment to have a technician come out and install the card. Which they would do for me, but the next available appointment was 2 and a half weeks away. I finally got someone (who did not sound like they were working from an office outside the U.S.) who said that I would need to contact someone at my local comcast office to get the card activated. She tried to connect me and was not able too and offered to e-mail the local Comcast office to activate the card. Finally I have a working cable card. It seems to me that Comcast eithe does not want their customers to use cable cards in favor of forcing them to use their own DVRs and set top boxes. The truth of the matter is that the only thing you can't do with a cable card that you can is order on Demand programs.
imccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
masenrab

Comcast Activation

I had problems with Comcast. I replaced my HD with Premiere elite and moved the M-Card from HD to Premiere. Called Caomcats to activate. They did activation but I couldn't receive most of the HD channels. Two calls, two techs and one day later I got a tech who realized pairing hadn't been done. I gave him the Info from the Tivo Screen. He paired the card and no problems since. Also Streampix with xfinity doesn't work here in the San Francisco area. It complains a subscription is needed even after days of Comcast techs trying everything.
masenrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #35
biship

I just called. Was on hold for 30mins, then after reading out 4 sets of numbers and waiting 2mins, up and running. The most painless Comcast experience in my life.
biship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #36
tneison

I recently switched from an HTPC setup to 3 Premiere's all bought and set up a few days apart. For whatever reason, my experiences on the 3 w/ Comcast were very different. The first one was up and running in 5 minutes, the 2nd one took 2 or 3 calls and about an hour, the last one took 4 or 5 different calls which went into the next day to get to someone that could get all of my channels to work.

After some research I tried to steer them properly - made sure they 'provisioned' my card so I got the premiums, had them un-pair (whatever the word is) the card first then re-pair it.

It seems, functionally speaking, to be very straightforward on their end they just seem to miss a step very frequently. The most common seem to be the provisioning part - getting all of the channels especially HBO etc to come in, and if the card was used previously they forget to un-pair it first.

I honestly think they do it on purpose sometimes since you just know they hate supporting cableCARD's on external devices they don't make money on.

Having said all of that, now that I'm up everything is very stable and I love it. It is proving to be a far better environment having 3 Premiere's than my HTPC setup was that is for sure. Where on my HTPC I had signal and tuning issues - on my Tivo's I never have the slightest blip. And the Tivo app on an iPad alone has been worth the jump.
tneison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #37
mblloyd

Sometimes it pays to be lucky. Scratch that, it always pays to be lucky. My experience with Comcast/TiVo related issues in the Seattle area is flawless, with never a truck roll.

The most recent experience was after replacing my hard drive with a used hard drive. When it came to the point in the process where I called Comcast to reestablish pairing, etc. I talked to a Comcast rep who understood exactly what I had been doing and what I needed yet to do. She was even aware of the wording on my TiVo screen as we went through the process.

As the TiVo was doing its thing, I asked her if she had a TiVo. She said "no" but was thinking about it. I suspect the whole process was scripted for her.

Obviously, all Comcast franchises are not alike in attitude, personnel, or capabilities.

I give the Seattle Comcast folks a 9.5 rating, second only to Costco Concierge's 10.0.
mblloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
stcaudle12

Bad

Comcast does not train anyone on cablecard setup.
stcaudle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
stcaudle12

Problem

Everytime I call comcast it takes forever and they pass me to diff people until someone has heard of a tivo.
stcaudle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcaudle12 View Post
Think you might wanna check your facts. Comcast has an entire line dedicated to CableCARD activations - (877) 405-2298.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
alokkola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Think you might wanna check your facts. Comcast has an entire line dedicated to CableCARD activations - (877) 405-2298.
I was very hesitant to activate my second Tivo Cablecard remembering the horrible experience I had the first time. But the cablecard activation this time was surprisingly painless and took less than 10 minutes.

In fact my local Comcast office gave me the 2nd CableCard for free and allowed a self-install. I was shocked .
I called up my CableCARD activations - (877) 405-2298. I think all it matters is to call the right number and hope to get a right person.
alokkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #42
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Where is this number published? I spent 5 hours on the phone trying to get my cable card activated and not one rep ever mentioned that number. If their own employees aren't aren't aware of it, then how is a customer going to know about it?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
philw1776

Quote:
Uh, Comcast has a special phone # dedicated to CableCARD activations - (877) 405-2298. Mine got configured in well under 10 minutes this month.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #44
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Where is this number published? I spent 5 hours on the phone trying to get my cable card activated and not one rep ever mentioned that number. If their own employees aren't aren't aware of it, then how is a customer going to know about it?
Comcast gave me that # when I picked up my cable card
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #45
philw1776

Quote:
Everytime I call comcast it takes forever and they pass me to diff people until someone has heard of a tivo.
Don't talk to them about a TiVo. Instead call the special Cable Card installation # and simply have them provision their cable card. I never mentioned TiVo. Comcast is not TiVo.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #46
rob_gendreau

My cablecard installation today was easy-peasy. Had the cableguy do it; he came out because they had to climb the pole to get the service working, and there was a weird filter on my old cabling.

Aside from me sticking the card in backwards (don't ask), it was up and running on a Premiere and XL4 within a few minutes with one phone call. It looked like the Tivos were having trouble at first (I'd already done guided setup); he suggested we re-force a network connection. Whether that was it or not, they came back up running strong.

Just wish there was an easy way to delete duplicate SDs...there's a LOT of channels (who watches this stuff? reminds me of watching Dr. Gene Scott late at night in SoCal on the UHF band. RIP).
rob_gendreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #47
msu2k

Just wanted to share my Comcast cablecard installation experience for my TiVo Premiere XL4 yesterday in Lansing, MI. Went to the local office and had no problem getting an M-card. Without blinking the guy at the window went back and got one. I signed for it and left in less than 5 minutes. Interestingly he didn't give me any documentation, but since I already had the phone number from this thread, I was fine with that.

After I put the card in the Tivo and powered it back on, I went to the cablecard pairing screen that I remembered from my Series 3 installation. Numbers for the M-card came up and called the Comcast cablecard installation number (877) 405-2298. I didn't have to wait on hold, got a tech right away. Read the numbers to her, and then she placed me on hold. I started seeing the lower numbered SD channels come in. Panicked a little when I didn't see any of the higher numbered HD channels come in. She came back on the phone, said it was all set. I got off the phone, still no HD channels but they ended up showing up about 10 minutes later thankfully.

So all in all, it went about as smoothly as it could I think. I feel very fortunate that I didn't need a truck roll like I did with my S3 install.

Last edited by msu2k : 07-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #48
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, I've paired cards in two Tivos and a Silicondust HD Homerun Prime via that # and they got it done right first time. WAY better than it used to be before self-installs were mandated, because success then depended on whether you got a good tech or not.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #49
Heron

I was a Tivo early adopter and have a good amount of experience with cable cards and Comcast (Houston). I've never had so bad an experience as I am having with my new Premier XL4. I know how to do a self-install and activation, as I've done it at least 4 times before with various Tivos. The last time, with my Premier XL, I had an issue getting all the premium and HD channels, but they eventually escalated the issue to someone and had it resolved within a couple days, complete with a call from a head office guy to apologize for the problems.

With this one, I got the CC (seeminly) activated OK, with the usual "it may take up to 45 minutes" bit, but my premium movie channels and a number of random other channels were and are missing. Since then, it's been a week of repeated calls to the CC activation line, calls with the tech support guys who assume I have no idea what I am doing, three freakin' trips to the local office to get new multicards because their only idea of what to do was to say maybe the multicard was bad (which I knew probably wasn't the case -- especially when the second one did exactly the same thing as the first one -- but I did it to humor them so they couldn't keep using that excuse). Multiple power off restarts. I also went to the extreme of exchanging the Tivo box itself, again only as a precaution so they couldn't blame it on a possibly bad Tivo unit. And two freakin' truck rolls, last Thursday and this morning, which they insisted upon even though I know from past experience that it is a pairing/coding issue. The first guy didn't even have another CC with him.

As of now I am exactly where I was a week ago, except with considerable time lost, unnecessary effort expended, and frustration incurred. I have some channels, but no premium movie and lots of missing channels. The host ID screen pops up, and when cleared is followed by the "this channel is not authorized" error message.

At least after today's visit they seem to be convinced that (1) I know what I am doing and what I am talking about, (2) it is not a signal problem or other equipment problem on my end, and (3) it is definately an activation/pairing/coding issue. Supposedly I am to receive a call from the "cable card guru" sometime tomorrow.

And of course I'm getting better information from this thread than I've got from Comcast all week. Silly of me to forget and not check here until now.
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote