TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
UCLABB

MOCA Problems

I have two Actiontec units that I use for my Premiere. Worked perfectly for a few months. Now, for the third time, it has lost contact. The power and ethernet lights are lit but not the coax light and naturally I get the warning on the TiVo that it has no internet connection.

I've tried the usual, rebooting everything, hitting the reset buttons on the Actiontecs, all to no avail.

The thing is, it will come back to life over night without any action on my part.

It wouldn't bother me too much, but I use my iPad and iPhone to do a lot scheduling and managing and when it's down, no connectivity from them.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Is there a splitter in the line anywhere between the two moca bridges? If the splitter isn't rated for frequencies above 1000Mhz that might cause connection problems.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
andyf

I have the same problem. The ethernet light flashes very slowly. I got tired of messing with them and went back to wireless. I get just as good speeds with wireless as I did with Moca. Maximum cable length is supposed to be 300 feet. That's possible in my house with the way it's wired. Maybe if you try a Point of Entry filter. I may try that one day.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
lrhorer

No more than 300 feet total cable length between any two nodes, no more than 25 dB total loss between the two nodes at the active MoCA frequency, and it requires the root splitter between any two nodes be fairly crappy.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I have two Actiontec units that I use for my Premiere. Worked perfectly for a few months. Now, for the third time, it has lost contact. The power and ethernet lights are lit but not the coax light and naturally I get the warning on the TiVo that it has no internet connection.

I've tried the usual, rebooting everything, hitting the reset buttons on the Actiontecs, all to no avail.

The thing is, it will come back to life over night without any action on my part.

It wouldn't bother me too much, but I use my iPad and iPhone to do a lot scheduling and managing and when it's down, no connectivity from them.
Update. Moca hadn't worked for three days and I decided to do more troubleshooting. First try was to bypass a coax signal amplifier. Voila. Immediate connection. I was worried about this splitter when I first connected the Moca adapters, but as I earlier posted, the moca worked for about two months perfectly until the recent outages.

I had the amplifier because my signal level was marginal at best. However, it appears that the Actiontec splitter might be amplified because checking the channel strength showed it at 80+ on all channels.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
I had the amplifier because my signal level was marginal at best.
What makes you believe that? Unless your house is a very long way from the subscriber tap, or you have a lot of feeds (>4) in your house, then the CCATV company should be delivering nominal levels to the back of your sets. I have to have an amp in my house, because not only is it a fairly long way from the tap, I also have 10 long drops in the house. The amp, however, is properly placed BEFORE the bulk of the attenuation in the house. Once the signal is low, it is too late to install an amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
However, it appears that the Actiontec splitter might be amplified because checking the channel strength showed it at 80+ on all channels.
It shouldn't. Putting an amp at the end of a transmission line does virtually nothing but increase distortion, and for most installations, signal levels should be fine without amplification.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What makes you believe that? Unless your house is a very long way from the subscriber tap, or you have a lot of feeds (>4) in your house, then the CCATV company should be delivering nominal levels to the back of your sets. I have to have an amp in my house, because not only is it a fairly long way from the tap, I also have 10 long drops in the house. The amp, however, is properly placed BEFORE the bulk of the attenuation in the house. Once the signal is low, it is too late to install an amplifier.

It shouldn't. Putting an amp at the end of a transmission line does virtually nothing but increase distortion, and for most installations, signal levels should be fine without amplification.
I put the amp in because the signal strength was marginal- at least according to the TiVo numbers. I was getting pixelation or worse. I have a bunch of splitters around the house. After I put in the amp, everything was fine. Of course the problems could have been coincidentally fixed by something else.

I COULD experiment with the signal levels, with the using the built-in splitter in the Actiontec or splitting the signal before the Actiontec and seeing what the difference is. But you know what, I am going to let sleeping dogs lie and just be happy that everything is working well!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
I put the amp in because the signal strength was marginal- at least according to the TiVo numbers.
That does not necessarily mean an amp is the right answer. If signal levels are low coming into the house, then it is the responsiobility of the CATV company to fix their plant.

Quote:
I was getting pixelation or worse. I have a bunch of splitters around the house.
Then an amp may well be indicated. It needs to be placed as close to where the cable enters the house, before it hits any splitters or directional couplers. Properly placed, an amp can do a great amount of good.

Quote:
After I put in the amp, everything was fine. Of course the problems could have been coincidentally fixed by something else.
Or not. It sounds like you placed the amp in the correct position, and if the signal levels were OK, but not great, at that point, then the amp will have done a great deal of good, but still may not have been the right solution. First of all, you should not have to spend money to fix the CATV company's problem. More importantly, if the CATV company had a problem, and you installed an amp to (successfully) cover the problem up, then when eventually the CATV comany does fix their problem, your signals would potentially be way too high.