TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Still don't know why the story needs to "move along."
Because what they are showing now is filler crap.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,390
What is with the complaint about "filler?" It's a sitcom. Since when have we ever cared what happened in any individual episode of a sitcom? Every episode is "filler" in that they're just filling the required number of episodes to complete their contract for the season.

We've known since last summer that this final season would take place entirely at the wedding weekend, over the course of three days. We know that Ted meets the mother on the train platform after the wedding festivities. So presumably, their meeting will be the season finale. It doesn't matter if there are 3 episodes or 30 episodes leading up to that, it's not going to happen any sooner.

But as we've seen, the episodes that have taken place solely at the Farhampton Inn are getting tedious and stupid, so I'm totally in favor of any episode that gets the gang back into their regular routines and regular daily lives in order to "fill" an episode. At least these "filler" episodes are much better than anything going on at the Farhampton Inn.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What is with the complaint about "filler?" It's a sitcom. Since when have we ever cared what happened in any individual episode of a sitcom? Every episode is "filler" in that they're just filling the required number of episodes to complete their contract for the season.

We've known since last summer that this final season would take place entirely at the wedding weekend, over the course of three days. We know that Ted meets the mother on the train platform after the wedding festivities. So presumably, their meeting will be the season finale. It doesn't matter if there are 3 episodes or 30 episodes leading up to that, it's not going to happen any sooner.

But as we've seen, the episodes that have taken place solely at the Farhampton Inn are getting tedious and stupid, so I'm totally in favor of any episode that gets the gang back into their regular routines and regular daily lives in order to "fill" an episode. At least these "filler" episodes are much better than anything going on at the Farhampton Inn.
Please don't include me in "we". There's been plenty of sitcom episodes I've cared about what happened. For example, I cared that Henry Blake was killed in MASH. You all can deny it all you want, but this a semi serialized series that is leading to a conclusion. Many episodes have advanced the story line in that direction. Even the show runners have said so. So, yes, any episode that doesn't advance the story line is "filler". There is some good filler and some bad filler. IMO I thought this past episode was good filler.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Please don't include me in "we". There's been plenty of sitcom episodes I've cared about what happened. For example, I cared that Henry Blake was killed in MASH. You all can deny it all you want, but this a semi serialized series that is leading to a conclusion. Many episodes have advanced the story line in that direction. Even the show runners have said so. So, yes, any episode that doesn't advance the story line is "filler". There is some good filler and some bad filler. IMO I thought this past episode was good filler.
Is that why you referred to it as "filler crap?"


__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #35
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Still don't know why the story needs to "move along."
Because this is the last season and many of us want to see a progressing romance with the Mother. We don't want it to just end without some sort of satisfaction of seeing them together for a while.

They need to move the story along because they are running out of episodes to show us story related content.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Because this is the last season and many of us want to see a progressing romance with the Mother. We don't want it to just end without some sort of satisfaction of seeing them together for a while. They need to move the story along because they are running out of episodes to show us story related content.
Sigh.

It's a freaking sitcom.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Sigh.

It's a freaking sitcom.
sigh.

It's a serialized sitcom advancing toward a known ending (slowly).
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Because this is the last season and many of us want to see a progressing romance with the Mother. We don't want it to just end without some sort of satisfaction of seeing them together for a while.

They need to move the story along because they are running out of episodes to show us story related content.
If there were any hope of Ted meeting the Mother before the last episode, I'd totally agree with you. I wish the creators weren't so stuck on the idea of this entire series being about Ted telling his kids all the events that lead up to him meeting their mother. I think the show would be much better with a final season showing Ted and the Mother dating and seeing her being integrated into the group, and I think Bays and Thomas made a mistake by taking the title of the series so literally.

However, we know that's not going to happen. So that means that every episode this season is "filler" leading up to that final episode. I personally don't care what they fill those episodes with. I have no specific hopes for where the story will go. We know that there will be a wedding, a reception, and then Ted will go to the Farhampton train station in the rain and will meet the Mother. Whether those things take up one episode or ten doesn't matter to me.

What I do wish is that since they've clearly made the decision not to have Ted and the Mother spend any real time together during the run of the series, that they would have more episodes showing us the flash forwards of Ted and the Mother together, and especially some flash forwards of the whole gang together. But because of the way those flash forwards have been structured, they could be put into any episode, even one that doesn't otherwise "advance" the story, so I'm not looking for any kind of plot advancements from any of these final episodes.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wish the creators weren't so stuck on the idea of this entire series being about Ted telling his kids all the events that lead up to him meeting their mother. I think the show would be much better with a final season showing Ted and the Mother dating and seeing her being integrated into the group...
I completely agree. If we take it literally, we already know when, where, and "how" he meets the mother.

When: after Barney and Robin's wedding
Where: Farhampton Train platform.
"How": everything leading up to him getting to the wedding, and being alone on the platform afterwards.

They have already told us the answers...but I'm with you, I want them to veer off the literal premise a bit more and show the romance and group integration. I guess that's part of my frustration....they're not sticking literally to the title, so why not go a little farther and give us that extra time with the mother?

I don't know... I'm just bored of all the drivel and am eager to see it end. I just want some closure on the person he finally meets after I've suffered through all these other boring years. There needs to be some payoff for the time I've wasted in front of my TV.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #40
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,917
I don't know if this is technically a spoiler or not but the 200th episode airing in January will
Spoiler:
be told entirely from the mother's perspective and will be entitled "How Your Mother Met Me"

http://tvline.com/2013/12/01/how-i-m...istin-milioti/

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 310
Oh, I hope that's true. Looking forward to that episode.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,933
Wow, I thought it was great.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #43
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Please don't include me in "we". There's been plenty of sitcom episodes I've cared about what happened. For example, I cared that Henry Blake was killed in MASH.
SPOILER ALERT!! Just kidding..

I think nowadays, esp with no laughtrack in the operating room scenes, M*A*S*H would be considered to be leaning at least *slightly* more towards dramedy than straight sitcom.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #44
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,830
The rhyming got really old, really fast.
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
The rhyming got really old, really fast.
You mean the rhyme
was much like Father Time?
Eventually annoying
and sometimes even cloying?
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |