TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.76 average.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #691
Swenny

Delete

Last edited by Swenny : Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #692
Swenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Before going into amp troubleshooting, we gotta make sure the moca network is setup correctly.

1. You didn't mention, is there is a moca adapter connected to the router/modem to create the moca network? (pic below.)

2. If the Roamio is connected by ethernet to the router, it doesn't need a moca adapter. It's entirely optional, but if you want the Basic Roamio on the moca network as well, a second adapter is needed. But the ethernet connection to the router is fine. (If you do decide to do this, the Roamio's ethernet connects to the adapter, not the router.)

For the sake of some sanity it might also be a good idea to install a POE filter before the tuning adapter if there isn't one already. Moca and the TA can interfere with each other.

Thanks for the reply Jim

1. This was how I had it configured. Coax light never came on
2. Thanks for correcting me. I moved the MoCA adapter from where it was in your diagram above to the spot I described between the TA and the Roamio as part of troubleshooting. My TA is not the Cisco one so I don't know if that is the issue
EDIT: I re-read your reply for #2. You said "if you want the Basic Roamio on the moca network as well, a second adapter is needed". Is that accurate? I thought you only needed two if the Roamio wasn't connected to Ethernet?

I was reading in another thread that the coax light only comes on if the MoCA adapter detects a device and makes a connection to it. Perhaps I should try hooking one of the Minis up to the same line to see if I can get that to light up for starters. After that, suggestions are welcome
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #693
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenny View Post
EDIT: I re-read your reply for #2. You said "if you want the Basic Roamio on the moca network as well, a second adapter is needed". Is that accurate? I thought you only needed two if the Roamio wasn't connected to Ethernet?
Yeah, we're saying the same thing. A second adapter is needed only if you want the basic connected by moca. If you prefer to keep it connected by ethernet, only 1 is needed.

Don't know if the amp is moca friendly or not, it quite possibly isn't, but a similar model number is: IPA2008DL2-RSVF. Apparently has a built in POE filter too.

Another option: http://www.pctstore.com/RF_amplifier...vcf18aupin.htm

You can definitely try taking the amp out of the equation as a test. I wouldn't do too much splitting downstream of the amp though. An 8-way split is already cutting signal strength kinda thin.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #694
Swenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yeah, we're saying the same thing. A second adapter is needed only if you want the basic connected by moca. If you prefer to keep it connected by ethernet, only 1 is needed.

Don't know if the amp is moca friendly or not, it quite possibly isn't, but a similar model number is: IPA2008DL2-RSVF. Apparently has a built in POE filter too.

Another option: http://www.pctstore.com/RF_amplifier...vcf18aupin.htm

You can definitely try taking the amp out of the equation as a test. I wouldn't do too much splitting downstream of the amp though. An 8-way split is already cutting signal strength kinda thin.
I saw both of those. Leaning towards the PCT 19A one since it's $5 cheaper than the PCT 18A and $20 cheaper that the Extreme Broadband one. I think I'll just go this route and save myself some time. Will report back
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #695
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
2 bedrooms, living room, den, kitchen accounts for 5. And then some of the rooms have a second outlet. I would imagine for layout options and not having to run a cable halfway around the room.

I believe I'd use Comcast distribution, the Comcast filter/reflector and set it up NOT using the distribution box that you have now, just use the runs that you actually need to supply.

Comcast in I believe nearly all areas use a PPC EVO Entry. There are 5 port and 9 port configurations. Here Comcast uses EV01-5-U/UPS for a 5 port with the power supply in the same box. Grab the entry from the closet and use only the ports required with it to get the system functional. I got mine from a plant supervisor that was more than happy to let me do my own install.

Here's a link to the product. If you elect to BUY one be sure you purchase product with the BLUE fonts for Model # etc. That passes MoCA for sure. The maroon/brown is earlier product and I believe NOT desired but I've never tried it.

http://www.ppc-online.com/docs/MKTim...y-Series-2.pdf

Use terminators on all ports not used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenny View Post
I saw both of those. Leaning towards the PCT 19A one since it's $5 cheaper than the PCT 18A and $20 cheaper that the Extreme Broadband one. I think I'll just go this route and save myself some time. Will report back
You don't mention the provider but I'd do similar to what I suggested to "dbpaddler" - see what your provider uses in the area and use the same. The one I linked to is functioning well for me but I'm using a Comcast DPC3939 modem that is also MoCA but it's not relative, it either passes MoCA or not. Hit up a service truck in the area or go to a maintenance facility and ask. The service stores I don't believe have any idea of what's used.

The PPC EV01 product is quite inexpensive on eBay.

Last edited by WVZR1 : Yesterday at 02:14 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #696
Swenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

*snip*

You don't mention the provider but I'd do similar to what I suggested to "dbpaddler" - see what your provider uses in the area and use the same. The one I linked to is functioning well for me but I'm using a Comcast DPC3939 modem that is also MoCA but it's not relative, it either passes MoCA or not. Hit up a service truck in the area or go to a maintenance facility and ask. The service stores I don't believe have any idea of what's used.

The PPC EV01 product is quite inexpensive on eBay.
It's for Charter. I'm almost positive that none of the IPA1008 series amps will pass MoCA and the Charter tech they last had out (when I wasn't there)was less than helpful. The ones on eBay do not specifically say the have a MoCA bypass so I am skeptical on those
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #697
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
2 bedrooms, living room, den, kitchen accounts for 5. And then some of the rooms have a second outlet. I would imagine for layout options and not having to run a cable halfway around the room.
Right, but they shouldn't all be connected at once. They should only be connected when in use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I believe I'd use Comcast distribution, the Comcast filter/reflector and set it up NOT using the distribution box that you have now, just use the runs that you actually need to supply.
Yeah, exactly.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #698
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yeah, you don't want to run amplified runs to a dead-end. Those outputs are just wasting signal and probably degrading signal on the active lines. Many amps come with attenuators to place on unused outputs. You should disconnect any unused runs and put on attenuators or use an amp with the correct number of outputs. Having a single open line is probably not a big deal. Having six of them is.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #699
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Yeah, you don't want to run amplified runs to a dead-end. Those outputs are just wasting signal and probably degrading signal on the active lines. Many amps come with attenuators to place on unused outputs. You should disconnect any unused runs and put on attenuators or use an amp with the correct number of outputs. Having a single open line is probably not a big deal. Having six of them is.
You don't want open lines even without an amp, although it's probably worse with an amp, especially if you have amplification on the return path. Yeah, those littler terminators work great for keeping the system as simple and clean as possible.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote