TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
premiereman

Slingbox user needs feedback, any reason to purchase TiVo Stream?

Hey Guys,

Looking at the new stream features, I'm wondering if it's even necessary for me. First off, my cable provider flags almost everything so from my understanding the transferring of shows to my mobile device will be severely crippled correct? Second, I can access my TiVo through Slingbox for live and pre-recorded show streaming now.

Is there any other benefit I am losing out on without the stream?

Thanks!
premiereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
AndyAxel

If you see any benefit to transferring the program to view offline (e.g. on a plane), then you may want the Stream.
AndyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
premiereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAxel View Post
If you see any benefit to transferring the program to view offline (e.g. on a plane), then you may want the Stream.
That's a huge benefit, but like I mentioned my CC copyright protects everything so the majority of the shows I would wanted to transfer are not possible. With Slingbox, I can access and stream them but that of course requires an internet connection. :/
premiereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiereman View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking at the new stream features, I'm wondering if it's even necessary for me. First off, my cable provider flags almost everything so from my understanding the transferring of shows to my mobile device will be severely crippled correct? Second, I can access my TiVo through Slingbox for live and pre-recorded show streaming now.

Is there any other benefit I am losing out on without the stream?

Thanks!
Controlling multiple TiVo DVRs on a home network is seamlessly integrated with the Stream. You can stream a program that is not being watched on the connected television. I have a slingbox pro and the two boxes are really designed for two different use cases. Slingbox is primarily designed for streaming outside the home -- something the Stream doesn't enable.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are two reasons the Stream is better then SlingBox for local viewing...

1) It does not tie up the TiVo. The Stream is all digital so it can play one recording while the TiVo itself plays a completely different show. So you can watch something on your iPad without taking over the whole TiVo.

2) Control is way better. With a SlingBox there is lag between what is actually being shown on the TiVo and what you see on the iPad so control can be nearly impossible. For example when I was watching something via my SlingBox I'd always have to hit instant replay 3-4 times to actually backup from where I'd have to compensate for the lag. However with a Stream control is digital and based on where you are on the iPad so the controls work exactly as you would expect.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There are two reasons the Stream is better then SlingBox for local viewing...

1) It does not tie up the TiVo. The Stream is all digital so it can play one recording while the TiVo itself plays a completely different show. So you can watch something on your iPad without taking over the whole TiVo.
A rich masochist could maybe control a Stream with a Slingbox to work around that issue.

heh heh
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
pbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
2) Control is way better. With a SlingBox there is lag between what is actually being shown on the TiVo and what you see on the iPad so control can be nearly impossible. For example when I was watching something via my SlingBox I'd always have to hit instant replay 3-4 times to actually backup from where I'd have to compensate for the lag. However with a Stream control is digital and based on where you are on the iPad so the controls work exactly as you would expect.
+1
I'll never again use my Slingbox locally
pbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
A rich masochist could maybe control a Stream with a Slingbox to work around that issue.

heh heh
A Stream can only be watched from an iOS device, so you'd need an iOS device with some sort of A/V out connection and the ability to be controlled via IR. and even then I'm not sure if the TiVo app could be controlled properly via IR even if you had it setup.

However you could connect a Stream to one of the upcoming Mini boxes and work around that issue.

Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
tivoknucklehead

I was going to get one but when I found out it is no better than Tivo Desktop (ie it won't transfer copyrighted shows) to my ipad I decided it has no use to me. I'll stick with my slingbox for external viewing and slingcatcher for viewing in my bedroom
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
+1
I'll never again use my Slingbox locally
What if you use the slingbox just for streaming and the TiVo app on a phone of tablet to control the TiVo? That might eliminate the lag (depending on exactly what the source of the lag is).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I tried that once. Was watching SlingBox on iPad and controlling TiVo via iPhone. It didn't help. The lag is caused by buffering. The SlingBox has a good 4-5 second delay compared to what the TiVo is actually playing. That's what makes control so difficult. You're not actually seeing what the TiVo is playing at the moment you send the control command.

With the Stream the app knows where you're at in the recording, and instead of sending an "instant replay" command it simply instructs the TiVo to seek to position 8 seconds before the one you're at. This eliminates any chance of there being a control lag.

Dan