TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #31
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
And voila! It worked.
I realize this may be kind of a big request, but I wonder if you could put together sort of a guide as to how you did this. It could be pointers to where others have documented the steps, or the actual steps. It would appear to cover three basic areas:

1. How to setup a serial terminal interface so you can log into the Tivo.

2. How you discovered what IP addresses were being used (some log file?), and how you were able to do the mapping to get Tivo to use a different one.

3. What log file to check for the errors you noted, and any more detail about running the garbage-collection command to fix them.

If you have a workaround for the FWLS problem, it would be nice to have all the components documented in one place for others who might want to also try it.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #32
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Thinking about this over night generated a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
More specifically, a http fetch of the IR-standard-v550.slice.gz file failed on two of the three servers.
Any idea what that file contains? I assume it's not guide data as in a week or two it would fall off the list and not be an issue anymore.

Also, most of the time I get FWLS on guided setup it's while downloading the local phone numbers before I ever get to the guide data.

Your idea that only some of the servers have bad data does fit the behavior that some people reported of aborting calls some "magic" number of times to get things to work. As long as the magic number was not a multiple of the number of servers, they would have forced themselves to a different server.

Seems like you could accomplish the same thing by aborting one call then re-trying. If that fails, abort once and re-try. That will cycle you through all three servers.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc56 View Post
Thinking about this over night generated a question...

Any idea what that file contains? I assume it's not guide data as in a week or two it would fall off the list and not be an issue anymore.

Also, most of the time I get FWLS on guided setup it's while downloading the local phone numbers before I ever get to the guide data.

Your idea that only some of the servers have bad data does fit the behavior that some people reported of aborting calls some "magic" number of times to get things to work. As long as the magic number was not a multiple of the number of servers, they would have forced themselves to a different server.

Seems like you could accomplish the same thing by aborting one call then re-trying. If that fails, abort once and re-try. That will cycle you through all three servers.
Server load balancing usually isn't usually as easy as try it 3 times to get through all 3 servers. It's just as likely to send you to the same server every time based on your MAC address or some other obscure formula.

Based on the name of the slice file I'd guess that it's an update to the IR database for remote controls. That probably doesn't help much....
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #34
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Server load balancing usually isn't usually as easy as try it 3 times to get through all 3 servers.
That comment was based on information in a post on this thread (I received by e-mail notification) that was later deleted (be it correct, or not).
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #35
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't know if this will work on S1s or not, and I've not personally tried it on any TiVo of any age, but check out this technique

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10143653

and see if putting in 00000 as the ZIP Code will let you get anywhere (and then later you can go back and see if Settings, Channels, Channel List, Enter for wrong list will let you change the ZIP without having to go through all of GS).
One thing left-out from my post there, is that it is imperative that GC (Garbage Collection) be allowed to complete on the new Zip 00000 "Tiny TiVo" provider lineup. If not given time to do so (plus it's a good idea to just give the TiVo a few hours to run with close to no load to be sure it has processed-out all old data), some problems the method can fix, will remain, instead.