TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #31
cheesesteak
Meh.

Anybody besides me still watching this? It's not scary at all and the characters behave like idiots. I get more disappointed with each episode.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #32
danterner
Not it!

I am. I agree with your points, but I'm still enjoying it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #33
Cainebj

I think it has gotten better and better with each episode and in fact - has become the Monday morning cooler talk show at work.

We are loving it.

[well to be fair - The Leftovers was the Monday morning cooler buzz show and The Strain was second until this week.]
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I've been enjoying it a lot. I'm a little worried, though, because (spoilers for my general view of the books, not specific things that happen)
Spoiler:
I thought the first book was great, the second was OK, and the third was unreadable (I almost never quit in the middle of a book, but this was one of the rare occasions where I couldn't force my way through). If the series makes it that far, it will be interesting to see if it, unlike the books, can keep my interest throughout.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #35
cheesesteak
Meh.

But...
Spoiler:

There are murderous vampires walking the streets, killing people willy-nilly but apparently nobody calls the police, FBI, National Guard, the Guardian Angels, or anybody.

I can't stand hacker girl. Slow the entire internet and all wired and wireless communications to a standstill? C'mon.

I couldn't stand Eph's wife's best friend. Glad she died a gruesome, painful death.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #36
SeanC
ECT

I'm still watching it an enjoying it.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #37
DLiquid
Progressive User

I think it's great. It has definitely gotten better over the course of the season. I really liked the episode with

Spoiler:
the gas station. That one reminded me of The Mist.

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #38
Beryl

I really enjoyed the last episode.

Spoiler:
Providing the audience the perspective of the wife as she was turning was great. It reminded me of the dog's perspective in King's "Gerald's Game".

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I really enjoyed the last episode. * SPOILER *
What it reminded me of was
Spoiler:
An episode of the series "Fear Itself" - the episode, called New Year's Day, followed a woman wandering around in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. It's all from her perspective, and the twist at the end is that she's one of the zombies, not one of the survivors as we've been lead to believe.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #40
smbaker

I've been enjoying the series. It's pretty stupid, perhaps even stupider Helix and The Following combined, but still enjoyable to watch.

My biggest issue is the same one cheesesteak has,

Spoiler:
There's no way this would remain covered up. Even with the Internet down, the amount of mayhem would be newsworthy. Reporters would find out about it and report about it in paper publications. The police department would be aware of the increase in killings. The hospitals would be aware of sick people coming in and turning. It's just beyond belief that anyone in the city would not be aware by now what was happening

My second biggest issue is

Spoiler:
I don't see how that ginormous tongue thing fits inside of a human body, and the human still looks mostly human

These two items require enormous suspension of disbelief. My favorite episode so far was

Spoiler:
The gas station. It felt like with a bit more length, it could have easily been a standalone movie.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #41
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post

My second biggest issue is

Spoiler:
I don't see how that ginormous tongue thing fits inside of a human body, and the human still looks mostly human

Spoiler:
They've shown that the virus causes massive mutations inside the human body. I'm guessing that one of them is that the host no longer needs its lungs? So the tongue thingy that lives in the throat could easily stay retracted/coiled up in the lung cavity.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #42
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I have this series recorded, but haven't decided whether to watch it. I gave Extant 2-3 episodes and was bored so I dropped it. I did not watch Tyrant at all. Now that the series has been on awhile, did it hold up? Worth watching?

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think it is. The Strain is one of my favorite shows now. But it is TV. Every TV show ever made has issues. If you nitpick you would never watch any show or would never be able to enjoy any of them.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #44
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Every TV show ever made has issues.
Except The Wire.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #45
Dnamertz

Id rank them: The Strain, Tyrant, and Extant. I really like the pace of The Strain.

Tyrant is good, I'm still watching, but I don't see how it's a comparable show to the other two.

Extant I gave up on after about six episodes. Seemed to be a typical, predictable network show.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #46
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I have this series recorded, but haven't decided whether to watch it. I gave Extant 2-3 episodes and was bored so I dropped it. I did not watch Tyrant at all. Now that the series has been on awhile, did it hold up? Worth watching?
I'm putting it down as more entertaining than Tyrant or Extant. Of course, it depends on what you're into. My wife wouldn't make it through 3 minutes of The Strain.

(I'm lucky we can watch Under The Dome together, with that damn bisected cow in the opening sequence each and every episode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
The Strain is one of my favorite shows now. But it is TV. Every TV show ever made has issues.
Successful TV is TV that makes you not care that it's not real. The Strain, while being one of the most absurd shows that I watch, the absurdity doesn't bother me as much as Under The Dome, The Following, or Helix.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #47
vertigo235

Is The Strain Any Good?

The show is entertaining but I don't expect much. I'm an episode or two behind right now but I'm glad it was renewed for another season.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #48
whitson77
Director Level

I love this show. I really enjoyed the books as well.

There are some imperfect moments and the pacing varies, but the overall story is great to me.

I did not appreciate how they handled the basement scene last week and thought that was only done for shock value. But it is about to get real!
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote