TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
brianric

Lance Armstrong Soap Opera

First you got Scott Pelley interviewing Travis Tygart, chief executive of the U.S. Anti Doping Agency, which is a plug for CBS Sports, which I think is on Showtime while on the CBS News. So if you don't subscribe to Showtime you're SOL. This would be better on 60 Minutes. Then you got Oprah, who is dragging her interview with Armstrong into a two night affair to try and boost ratings in her flagging OWN television network.

I could care less about Armstrong doping, which everyone was doing in the dirty sport of cycling. I'm pissed off that this scumbag who went out to destroy those who try to expose his drug dealings is trying to get sympathy from John Q Public by coming out with a "limited" confession. May you burn in hell Lance.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
taronga

I was annoyed that half of SportsCenter yesterday was taken up by Lance Armstrong. He's already confessed and been stripped of his titles. I don't understand what's left to be said. Let me see the freakin' basketball highlights already.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
unitron

He's a liar and a cheat, and it turns out his fantastic athletic feats weren't so fantastic after all, so why can't the various media give him the ignoring he so richly deserves and maybe do stories about the pro bike riders who didn't cheat, or the would have beens who weren't because they didn't cheat.

You know, the people who really should have gotten his prize money and endorsement income.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
mwhip
All better

I read somewhere that some of his TDF races he won that even guys 2-12 tested positive. So basically he was the best athlete of the dopers? I guess it is impossible to have a totally clean sport.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Cereal_Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I read somewhere that some of his TDF races he won that even guys 2-12 tested positive. So basically he was the best athlete of the dopers? I guess it is impossible to have a totally clean sport.
I heard that thatís not even true.

The reason is because even though many teams doped, only the wealthiest of them could do all the things Lance did like blood doping.

So if you say everybody doped, it was still not an even playing field and Lance had an unfair advantage. What a disappointment!
Cereal_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
I heard that thatís not even true.

The reason is because even though many teams doped, only the wealthiest of them could do all the things Lance did like blood doping.

So if you say everybody doped, it was still not an even playing field and Lance had an unfair advantage. What a disappointment!
The same could be said for recruiting, salaries, high tech bicycles, training, and doctors.

What the heck is an even playing field anyhow!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
mattack

tivo info wasn't updated as of last night.. Can't tell which of the shows on OWN are part 1 and which are part 2..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
I was annoyed that half of SportsCenter yesterday was taken up by Lance Armstrong. He's already confessed and been stripped of his titles. I don't understand what's left to be said. Let me see the freakin' basketball highlights already.
That's crazy! It wasn't 100% filled with talk about that guy from Notre Dame and is fake dead girlfriend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
tivo info wasn't updated as of last night.. Can't tell which of the shows on OWN are part 1 and which are part 2..
Oh, no!

Now I don't know in which order to avoid watching them!

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I dont condone doping but Lance was spot on when he said it was an even playing field. Everyone in competitive cycling dopes. Every year people get caught. If you really read articles out there about how he avoided getting caught, most of it was by just avoiding the testers. There is an article out there somewhere that his personal assistant (Who Lance screwed over and fired) talking about how Lance avoided the doping tests... basically they tested Lance when Lance wanted them to test Lance and any other time, Lance was unavailable.

He'd either hide from the testers or travel to obscure countries to train where they couldnt find it.

How he strong armed people like Hincappie to keep his mouth shut, thats something Id like to know because Ive always seen Hincappie as a guy with integrity. I bet Landis was LOL'ing bigtime last night watching that. He's the one that started Lance's demise.
KungFuCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I was a racer, rising to cat 3. I know Hincappie's dad and rode with Hincappie once way back in the day. I've followed cycling for years voraciously. I rooted for Lance and was one of the >>fools<< that stood up for him whenever he was attacked online as a cheat. Always referencing how he was tested so many times, always negative. This whole thing was the last straw for me. I may still ride my bike, but I no longer follow cycling at all. No mags, no podcasts, no news, no tv. I'm done! It's not just Lance, but why should I follow a sport that regularly eliminates much of it's history? Year after year it's the same thing, remember all those great moments, wins, champions? They never happened. It's just not worth investing my time anymore.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
I was a racer, rising to cat 3. I know Hincappie's dad and rode with Hincappie once way back in the day. I've followed cycling for years voraciously. I rooted for Lance and was one of the >>fools<< that stood up for him whenever he was attacked online as a cheat. Always referencing how he was tested so many times, always negative. This whole thing was the last straw for me. I may still ride my bike, but I no longer follow cycling at all. No mags, no podcasts, no news, no tv. I'm done! It's not just Lance, but why should I follow a sport that regularly eliminates much of it's history? Year after year it's the same thing, remember all those great moments, wins, champions? They never happened. It's just not worth investing my time anymore.
Yep

More people have been busted for doping than not. The list is huge. People that arent cyclists probably have no idea. Almost every prominent cyclists in the last 15 years has been in a doping scandal.

I was going to just post some names but here's a link to a wiki page with people busted in cycling. Its staggering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ses_in_cycling

Makes me respect Greg Lemond more even tho the guy is a nutjob.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

I'm amazed that it was so easy to do what he did and not get caught.

I would be surprised if more of this didn't go on at the Olympic level during those years. There have been a few instances of Olympic athletes getting caught, but it seemed to be pretty rare. The only argument that might make sense is that there wasn't the monetary incentive like in cycling.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I'm amazed that it was so easy to do what he did and not get caught.

I would be surprised if more of this didn't go on at the Olympic level during those years. There have been a few instances of Olympic athletes getting caught, but it seemed to be pretty rare. The only argument that might make sense is that there wasn't the monetary incentive like in cycling.
I would be willing to bet the Olympics have a much higher standard of testing.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
mattack

!@$!@ I hope my recordings today get both episodes..

I'm not sure, but I THINK we're getting the EST feed instead of PST feed, and the guide data is for the PST feed.. But I haven't yet figured out for sure. All I know is that yesterday's recording that was supposed to be part 1 ended up being other episodes about 'where are they now', and I think those happened to be 3 hours off in BOTH directions.

if/when I can figure it out, I'll fill out a lineup request.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
BetaMark

I see this as being a way broader issue than professional athletes who are doping.

We live in an era where people are all too quick to artificially alter and/or enhance their appearance or physical prowess for the edification of the popular media. We've got Photoshop, cosmetics, plastic surgery, tattoos, body piercing and doping, just to name a few.

At least there seems to be some healthy dialog lately about body image. Hopefully the Armstrong debacle will spark something similar for doping in sports.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
brianric

For those who have been following Lance Armstrong, 60 Minutes will be interviewing Travis Tygart this Sunday, 1-27-13.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote