TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
wolfie3216

Thumbs down Cheap Trash.

Tivo quality control has gone down the tubes. I bought a Premiere about a year ago. Big mistake. Hard drive went bad after 6 months. Tivo replaced the unit... at a cost of $150. That was a couple months ago. The replacement unit is now making the loud clicking HD noises that the orginal unit made, before the HD went south.
Why is that my old Series 3 Tivo is of better quality than the newer Premier? You'd think that, with time, they'd improve on the quality of their systems.

Disgruntled,
W.
wolfie3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had no problems with any of my Premieres. I have one launch premiere left that I didn't sell. It works just fine, like the other couple dozen TiVos I've owned during the last eleven years.

If the hard drive was the issue with your Premiere, you could have replaced it yourself for alot less than $150. Or you could have spent $40 and purchased a 3 year extended warranty from TiVo when you purchased your Premiere. I purchased a three year extended warranty on each of the eight launch Premieres I bought in March 2010.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
wolfie3216

Warranty?

If you sell a quality product, you shouldn't need to purchase a warranty. Warranties for products that you expect to break down.

Overall I am happy with my Tivos. I just think that, with time, the quality of the units has suffered. It's sad. I understand their business model, and their need to cut costs. But if Tivo insists on sacrificing quality, the future of Tivo is not bright. Their pricing is ever-increasing, and their quality is, IMHO, going down.

W.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Well, TiVo doesn't manufacture the hard drives.

How are they supposed to guarantee that it will last X number of months/years?

That's why I believe they started offering the 3 year warranty in the first place.

The most common failure is the hard drive. They charged you $150 to exchange your unit.
Now they will take your old unit, put a new hard drive in it, and resell it as a refurb.

I suggest that while your current Premiere still works, go buy a new hard drive and use the JMFS software to make a copy/replacement.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
For $150 you can upgrade your Premiere to 2TB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-08-2012 at 11:26 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie3216 View Post
If you sell a quality product, you shouldn't need to purchase a warranty. Warranties for products that you expect to break down.

If you expect a product to break down then you shouldn't even be purchasing it. Every electronic device sold has a certain percentage of failures. There are no exceptions.

For TiVos I purchase an extended warranty mainly for the value it adds to the resale price. I purchase extended warranties on lots of products. I certainly don't expect them to fail, but you never know. Every device has a certain amount of failures. The only question is if you will be one of the owners of a device that has a failure.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
MeInDallas

Did you run the S.M.A.R.T. kickstart 54 test on the hard drive to see if its failing?

Reboot the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light flash on the front, push "pause 54" on the remote and go into the diagnostic screen and run the full test. See if it passes or fails. If it passes then it could be something else.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
Tivo quality control has gone down the tubes. I bought a Premiere about a year ago. Big mistake. Hard drive went bad after 6 months. Tivo replaced the unit... at a cost of $150. That was a couple months ago. The replacement unit is now making the loud clicking HD noises that the orginal unit made, before the HD went south.
Why is that my old Series 3 Tivo is of better quality than the newer Premier? You'd think that, with time, they'd improve on the quality of their systems.
As steve614 pointed out, TiVo doesn't make the hard drives. Some will fail. Every device with a hard drive in it should be on a UPS. Is your TiVo on one?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
wolfie3216

Yes, My Tivo is on a UPS. Perhaps "cheap trash" is too harsh a term. I am not happy to be replacing my 2nd Premiere within a span of one year. My Series 3, which I've had for 6 years, has run without ANY issues. My point is that, in my experience, the older Tivo units are of higher quality than the new ones. Just like many other products on the market, they don't make them like they used to.

While I agree that every electronic device is subject to a certain amount of failure, having TWO Premiers go south within the span of one year is an above average failure rate. Luck of the draw, I guess...

W.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Who said tivo is cheap?

You have had good luck with the S3 hard drive and bad luck with the premiere. Look around, you'll see many who have had issues with drives from each series. It stinks to have a drive go bad, much less two, but it certainly not a conspiracy for WD or Tivo to provide bad drives and to have to deal with the resulting complaints and bad feelings.

Your drive is making noise- I suggest to make this an opportunity to upgrade on your own.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
dsnotgood

Yea you have had bad luck. But hds go bad. Nothing you can do which sucks. I have had that happen to me few times with comp and lost data...now I back everything up.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
moedaman

Quote:
If you sell a quality product, you shouldn't need to purchase a warranty.
Gone are the days of televisions lasting 20 years and Hi-Fi systems lasting 40 years. Sure electronics are more complicated today. But companies today also have lower quality standards for their parts (and a company doesn't want you to have a product that lasts so long either). Very few people want to spend $1000 for a product when a competitor will sell you their version for $300. And companies respond by getting parts on the cheap. So sadly warranties are a necessity.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
Gone are the days of televisions lasting 20 years and Hi-Fi systems lasting 40 years. Sure electronics are more complicated today. But companies today also have lower quality standards for their parts (and a company doesn't want you to have a product that lasts so long either). Very few people want to spend $1000 for a product when a competitor will sell you their version for $300. And companies respond by getting parts on the cheap. So sadly warranties are a necessity.
We have an appliance here at work that does web filtering, they're old enough that when we have a service/hardware issue with them the vendor sends us a new one and tells us the scrap the old one.

I know it's just a cheap 1U custom linux server, but still.
(disclaimer, we are upgrading them this year to new hardware devices)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well, TiVo doesn't manufacture the hard drives.

How are they supposed to guarantee that it will last X number of months/years?

That's why I believe they started offering the 3 year warranty in the first place.

The most common failure is the hard drive. They charged you $150 to exchange your unit.
Now they will take your old unit, put a new hard drive in it, and resell it as a refurb.

I suggest that while your current Premiere still works, go buy a new hard drive and use the JMFS software to make a copy/replacement.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
For $150 you can upgrade your Premiere to 2TB.
Try 100 dollars lately
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
I heard that it is best to buy a new product when it is in its initial production run. That's when the best quality parts are used.
All subsequent production runs tend to use cheaper parts to reduce costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Try 100 dollars lately
Eh, when I tell someone what something will cost, I tend to err on the high side.
Call it a result from working in the electrical construction industry for 20 years.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I heard that it is best to buy a new product when it is in its initial production run. That's when the best quality parts are used.
All subsequent production runs tend to use cheaper parts to reduce costs.
I've read the same thing.

Someone wrote about Sony doing this with their tv's. The writer said that Sony uses a higher quality display for the first run. These are the tv's that are used for demos at the store and for reviews. The next runs use a lower quality display to save money.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote