TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Any way to tell why TiVo rebooted?

So it seems that right at 8:30 tonight my Elite rebooted causing me to miss about 7 minutes of 3 shows that were recording at that time. One in the moddle, two the beginning. According to the history it was due to a power loss, but that can't be true because it's connected to a UPS and my wife's Premiere, which is connected to the same UPS, did not reboot. So something caused it to reboot at exactly 8:30. Is there anyway to tell what caused it? I had a couple shows ending and a couple more starting up right at that time, so it could have been a problem with one of the tuners or the CableCARD. I have a TA but none of the shows recording were on SDV channels. Hopefully this was a fluke, but I'd like to know what caused it, if possible, so I can keep an eye out for it happening again in the future.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I sure wish TiVo had a menu showing the logs, It would be so helpful in many situations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
PooperScooper

Just because the Tivo is on a UPS doesn't mean something internal to the box can't glitch and cause a reset signal/line to go high (or low depending on circuit) or toggle. The power supply section could have had a problem or something drew to much current for some reason (eg disk). Excessive heat can cause all kinds of issues, too. Also, a reboot cause of "power" could just a catch all for some hardware (and maybe software) issue that happened and the master reset was "hit". Keep an eye on it.

larry
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So it seems that right at 8:30 tonight my Elite rebooted causing me to miss about 7 minutes of 3 shows that were recording at that time. One in the moddle, two the beginning. According to the history it was due to a power loss, but that can't be true because it's connected to a UPS and my wife's Premiere, which is connected to the same UPS, did not reboot. So something caused it to reboot at exactly 8:30. Is there anyway to tell what caused it? I had a couple shows ending and a couple more starting up right at that time, so it could have been a problem with one of the tuners or the CableCARD. I have a TA but none of the shows recording were on SDV channels. Hopefully this was a fluke, but I'd like to know what caused it, if possible, so I can keep an eye out for it happening again in the future.

Dan
Perhaps when they convert the "Settings" screens to HD a page can be added for the most recent resets. I doubt you can log a power failure, but you can log application of power as well as any updates. Sony does it.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Call TiVo. Supposedly they can see the logs on the DVR. They can tell when you have a hard drive of a different size other than what is spec'd, so I think they would be able to see what might have caused the reboot.
Worst that could happen is you don't get the info you want.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
Can't say for sure but I wonder if it was an update attempt. I woke up at 7 AM this morning to the churning of the hard drive on my Premeire. I know that updates are supposed to happen in the wee hours but....
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
HomeUser

Is your UPS able to log events?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

If it were the UPS my wife's Premiere would have rebooted as well. But it didn't. In fact according to the OOB timer in the diagnostics screen on her TiVo it has been running for about 12 days. (I think that was when we got the new TV and I rewired the entertainment center) I also don't think it was a software update because those typically take longer then 7 minutes. Plus they don't auto install until 2:00am. (I've been witness to it many times)

I was more looking for some sort of secret code to view the logs. If I had to guess I'd say it was probably a CableCARD or TA problem that caused the reboot. Since it happened exactly at 8:30 when new shows were starting to record it was definitely a tuning problem of some sort.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
moyekj

4 tuner units are flakier and slower than the 2 tuner ones from my experience, partly because of extra CPU overhead of the 2 extra tuners. I've frequently had issues with my Elite (seemingly more so since the 20.2.2 update) that have not affected my 2 tuner unit. Once in a while my Elite will reboot while someone is MRS'ing a show from it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
wackymann

I went over a year without any reboots on my elite, and now they are back. It has been randomly rebooting about once a week.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I sure wish TiVo had a menu showing the logs, It would be so helpful in many situations.
Have a unix box at work that hasn't been
rebooted for 8 years. Isn't TiVo Linux .
No more reboots.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Have a unix box at work that hasn't been
rebooted for 8 years. Isn't TiVo Linux .
No more reboots.
Yes Linux with a ton of extra code added.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes Linux with a ton of extra code added.
Ha ha, right you are. I was just adding some
light hearted humor.
I don't manage that unix box, so don't know
what deal with that is.
I work with windows servers and those need
Rebooting more occasionally.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote