TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Resist

Network Adapter Keeps Saying Not Connected

I have a Tivo USB Network Adapter hooked up to an OLED Series 3 and frequently the adapter will lose my home wireless network connection.

What happens is the Tivo won't update the guide and says there isn't a wireless network adapter connected. But if I unplug the adapter and plug it back in then that usually fixes the issue and the Tivo see's the adapter. It happens so much that t's to the point now where it's annoying. Any suggestions?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I have a Tivo USB Network Adapter hooked up to an OLED Series 3 and frequently the adapter will lose my home wireless network connection.

What happens is the Tivo won't update the guide and says there isn't a wireless network adapter connected. But if I unplug the adapter and plug it back in then that usually fixes the issue and the Tivo see's the adapter. It happens so much that t's to the point now where it's annoying. Any suggestions?
I assume that you've checked signal stregth and maybe logged into your router to see what it has to say about the Tivo adapter (signal and noise levels, errors, etc.). Or maybe your router doesn't provide that info. I can't remember if the USB adapter allows you to set a fixed IP address but, if it does, I'd definitely go with that. Some boxes can be cranky about using DHCP to get an IP address. Or it may be that you have the lease time set too short for DHCP. I'd still do the fixed IP if you can.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Resist

It has worked fine for years, then all of a sudden the Tivo started not seeing the adapter. The signal strength has never been an issue and still isn't. It's as if the adapter is failing, yet its power light stays on.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
unitron

Give everything on your home network that doesn't travel a fixed IP address that falls outside the router's DHCP pool (which doesn't need to be more than the number of devices you have that need DHCP, plus no more than say 5 extras).

Can't hurt, might help.

And reboot everything on the network afterwards, including the router.

And consider the possibility that someone in the neighborhood is now using the same wireless channel (1-11) that your router does and causing interference that wasn't there before, so try changing that on the router.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:

Also make sure that your router is running the latest firmware available for it. And search here for posts regarding router settings that can cause problems. I don't remember enough about that to be more specific, but try "broadcast" or "multicast" as one of your search terms.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_jacob View Post
Note: that if you change your motherboard (Or any internal components for that matter, including but not limited to the Hard Drive), your TSN will change;
Therefore you will lose ANY and ALL:
-Product Lifetime Service
-Monthly Rates you had before

TiVo will NOT help restore these service(s), either.
What?! TSN is indeed tied to the motherboard, but people change hard drives all the time without affecting PLS, etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
It has worked fine for years, then all of a sudden the Tivo started not seeing the adapter. The signal strength has never been an issue and still isn't. It's as if the adapter is failing, yet its power light stays on.
Before you spend any money, plug that adapter into a USB port on a PC and see if Windows pops up a hardware found notice that correctly identifies the adapter.

You won't be able to actually use it on anything but a TiVo, I suspect, but if the hardware inside can still successfully complete a handshake with Windows I'd be mighty slow to decide there was anything wrong with it.

The very first thing you need to suspect when a Series 2 or Series 3 gives trouble of almost any kind is the power supply and "capacitor plague".

Those adapters draw enough current to get right toasty, and if the power supply is getting marginal it may not be able to fully and properly power it or some circuit to which it connects.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
What?! TSN is indeed tied to the motherboard, but people change hard drives all the time without affecting PLS, etc.
Specifically on the OP's model (the first S3) and all previous, the TSN is tied to the Atmel crypto chip and can be moved to another motherboard from the same model by someone who knows what they're doing unsoldering and soldering surface mount devices.

With later model S3s and S4s, there is no separate crypto chip and you're screwed.

In some areas, Jacob may know just enough to be dangerous, and should be treated like other sources--"trust, but verify".

Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Before you spend any money, plug that adapter into a USB port on a PC and see if Windows pops up a hardware found notice that correctly identifies the adapter.
He could try a different adapter, as it doesn't have to be a "TiVo" approved unit, either.
I have successfully used both Belkin and Linksys USB wireless "G" adapters with my S3 OLED TiVo.

Another option if the USB ports are hosed is use a wired connection or a wireless bridge. My S3 is now connected to a Linksys Entertainment Bridge, via either net cable.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
The context I'm speaking in is with regards to TiVo's opinion on modified boxes.

If the box is modified, and the issue is not resolved, then TiVo as a company will not exchange the unit, and thus the service will never be transferrable.

TiVo would be able to tell quite quickly, though, if this was the case. Again, the unit would then be disqualified from TiVo Technical & Customer Support/TiVo Exchange procedure.

Which if you don't need it is fine. Some people though, like to have that option down the road. Having the Support there if something goes wrong, is also an added benefit to not modify the box, if you aren't terribly tech-savvy.

Any modification to the TiVo box, even opening it, voids any/all warranties, per the TiVo Service Terms and Conditions/EULA that everyone agrees to when they activate their box.

Just an FYI from TiVo's policies, as always you are welcome to do with your box what you want.

Plus, trading an Series 3 HD ***NOT TiVo HD*** for a Premiere, especially for those of you who have cable providers moving to .MPEG4(Displayed as H.264 in DVR Diagnostics when tuned to an MPEG4 channel), is a no-brainer. Cox, Fios, Timewarner, Cablevision, and eventually everywhere.

It's worth holding off, in that case, since the 'Legacy' (Non-Premiere) TiVo(s) will NEVER record, view, or display MPEG 4 material.

Sorry for any confusion I caused!

Thanks all!
Other than the crypto chip, what else is there on the motherboard that can be accessed electronically which identifies that specific motherboard?

Whatever it is, when I moved the chip from one TCD649080 motherboard to another to rescue 2TB worth of my mom's recordings, the part of TiVo that hits on my bank account every month never uttered a word of complaint.

"...the 'Legacy' (Non-Premiere) TiVo(s) will NEVER record, view, or display MPEG 4 material."

Does that mean they don't have the hardware to do it, or that y'all can't be bothered to re-write the software?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
He could try a different adapter, as it doesn't have to be a "TiVo" approved unit, either.
I have successfully used both Belkin and Linksys USB wireless "G" adapters with my S3 OLED TiVo.

Another option if the USB ports are hosed is use a wired connection or a wireless bridge. My S3 is now connected to a Linksys Entertainment Bridge, via either net cable.
He could pick up a used WRT54G, provided he got the right version, flash it with DD-WRT, and set it up as a wireless bridge and run a CAT5 cable from it to the Ethernet jack on the TiVo.

But he still needs to make sure the TiVo's power supply isn't the culprit, since there's such a very good chance that it has capacitors that were bad before they got to the assembly line.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Resist

I have previously tried many of the suggestions prior to posting my thread and nothing seems to work. And as I had said, everything was working fine for many years until recently. Unplugging the USB adapter cable and plugging it back in (either Tivo USB slot), sometimes works. But at times I have had to does this numerous times to get the Tivo to see the adapter.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Resist

Quote:
Resist,

You could pick up an adapter from Best Buy, and if it's not the culprit then return it.
Yes I could do that, but it's inconvenient to do so. Ultimately I may have no other choice, because there is no way to use a wired connection where that Tivo is placed in my home, so I need it to be wireless to the Internet.

My Tivo saw the adapter just fine through the night but now it doesn't see it yet again. This is getting very frustrating to have to keep unplugging and plugging the adapter back in to the box. Thankfully this Tivo isn't my primary box.

Last edited by Resist : 12-01-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Resist

Quote:
But he still needs to make sure the TiVo's power supply isn't the culprit, since there's such a very good chance that it has capacitors that were bad before they got to the assembly line.
I don't think the power supply has a bad capacitor, because the Tivo box itself works fine without any issues. Earlier this year the box would do random reboots and I discovered a bulged capacitor and replaced it myself (thanks to this forum), fixing that issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Yes I could do that, but it's inconvenient to do so. Ultimately I may have no other choice, because there is no way to use a wired connection where that Tivo is placed in my home, so I need it to be wireless to the Internet.

My Tivo saw the adapter just fine through the nice but now it doesn't see it yet again. This is getting very frustrating to have to keep unplugging and plugging the adapter back in to the box. Thankfully this Tivo isn't my primary box.
If you have another TiVo, go plug the adapter into it, and see if it works there.

If it does, then the adapter is not the problem.

Is your other TiVo the exact same model, by any chance?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I don't think the power supply has a bad capacitor, because the Tivo box itself works fine without any issues. Earlier this year the box would do random reboots and I discovered a bulged capacitor and replaced it myself (thanks to this forum), fixing that issue.
If it had one visibly bad cap, that didn't innoculate it from having other bad ones, which may or may not show visible signs of being bad.

And the ones that go bad aren't necessarily considerate enough to degrade at the same rate beginning at the same time.

And some parts of the TiVo are more sensitive to an inadequate power supply than others.

That's why one of the first signs that bogus caps had been used in some TiVo power supplies was a Series 2 model DirecTivo where one tuner kept working fine while the other wouldn't work.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Resist

Quote:
Is your other TiVo the exact same model, by any chance?
No, the other Tivo is a Premiere. I also have an older Series 2.

I looked inside the Series 3 box and didn't see any bulging capacitors.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
No, the other Tivo is a Premiere. I also have an older Series 2.

I looked inside the Series 3 box and didn't see any bulging capacitors.
Then test that adapter on the other TiVos.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Teeps

Quote:
He could pick up a used WRT54G, provided he got the right version, flash it with DD-WRT, and set it up as a wireless bridge and run a CAT5 cable from it to the Ethernet jack on the TiVo.
I have had my S3 OLED on a Linksys WES610n (head end to a Linksys WRT54G2) for a couple of months now with out any problems. As they say it was plug&play...

Quote:
Agree: it's probably good practice to "re-cap" the power supply on any S3 that has the hood opened.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
L David Matheny

Quote:
"...the 'Legacy' (Non-Premiere) TiVo(s) will NEVER record, view, or display MPEG 4 material."

Does that mean they don't have the hardware to do it, or that y'all can't be bothered to re-write the software?
Or even worse, does that mean that the TiVo bean counters have cynically decided that it would not be in TiVo's short-term interest to port existing MPEG4 code to any Series 3 units because it might delay some sales of newer models? Unlike some people, I don't find such an attitude on TiVo's part outrageous or unreasonable, but I think they might be wiser to give models of the next-to-newest generation any capability that the hardware can support, especially when the alternative is that existing capabilities are disappearing (due to cable companies restructuring their channels). I believe that consumers appreciate and support companies who work to postpone the inevitable obsolescence of their products as long as possible. It's a chance for TiVo to look like heroes compared to the cable company forces of darkness.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 12-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.