TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
swabbie

How to download movies from Tivo to Windows PC

I've been trying to download movies from my Series 2, Model HR10-250 with Version 6.4a software. This model doen't have a cat5 Ethernet connector, but does have a USB connector, as well as a serial jack. I do have an adapter for the serial jack to old fashioned DB9, 9 pin connector. I've successfully gotten into the box with Putty, via windows, but there is a blizzard of large cryptic files that may well be the movies. I don't have the WiFi adapter or know if this is the way to go. I tried TiVo desktop, but it wants a media number that appear up on my "TiVo central". But then I don't have a network connection to begin with.

I have two questions. First a two parter:

(1a) Assuming that it's possible to offload movies from the TiVo to a PC, where would I find the movies on the Linux hierarchy in the TiVo file structure, and (2a) is there anyway to identify which file is which movie?

(2) Is it possible to use either the serial jack, or USB connector to transfer movies from the TiVo to a PC running windows?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
swabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The recordings are not in files, they are encrypted in the "MFS database". To do what you are asking requires 1) You disable encryption for new recordings, 2) You "hack" the box to enable network access through a USB network adapter and then use one of several tools to extract the recordings. The "Underground" section of the forum has some of the info on this, more is in another forum not allowed to be linked to here but it is deal database dot com