Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Suits "Blood in the Water" 01/24/13

So glad this show is back!

I watched a Sunday morning recording and every instance of "sh*t" was censored. Made for a weird conversation when Harvery was telling Mike about getting his sh*t together!

I should have rewatched the finale. I feel like I missed an episode.

D'oh! I did miss an episode. Stupid cable. I don't know why it didn't record.

In any case, I got a little choked up when Louis dropped off his resignation letter then walked to the elevator with his box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
john4200

Why did you get choked up? Do you like Louis?

My opinion of Louis is pretty much the same as Harvey's. I was surprised that Jessica was treating Louis so respectfully. Louis already got a partnership that he did not deserve, and now on top of everything else, Jessica treats him with respect after all of Louis' lies and betrayals. I could understand if Jessica was just doing it for strategic reasons, but that was not the impression that I had.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
BetaMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I watched a Sunday morning recording and every instance of "sh*t" was censored.
Really? Who's your cable provider?

Score one for iTunes/Apple TV. We never get that sort of censorship "sh*t" from them.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Zevida
witless and unarmed

It doesn't have to do with my cable provider, it has to do with what time the episode airs. Same thing happens on Mad Men, Sunday morning reruns are bleeped. If I'd caught it in the normal 9 or 10pm slot, it wouldn't be edited.

And yes, I was sad Louis was leaving. He is a fun character to watch and though he is flawed and makes wrong decisions, he is also sympathetic. Not to mention smart and a great lawyer. He's almost more interesting than Harvey, who is perfect.

Almost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
john4200

Quote:
And yes, I was sad Louis was leaving. He is a fun character to watch and though he is flawed and makes wrong decisions, he is also sympathetic. Not to mention smart and a great lawyer. He's almost more interesting than Harvey, who is perfect.
I do not have any sympathy for Louis. He is a whiner, sniveller, brown-noser, liar, and a petty tyrant to the associates.

And I disagree that Louis is a great lawyer. He is book smart and knows his specialty in the law very well. But there is a lot more to being a great lawyer than just knowing the law. Mike knows the law better than Harvey, but Harvey is the better lawyer.

Although I do agree that the character is interesting to watch. He makes a good foil for Mike and Harvey.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

Louis is a bad person but Harvey is the living embodiment of every negative stereotype I have about lawyers. I know I'm not supposed to like Louis and I don't really, but I can see that he's a lonely man who feels under appreciated by his bosses. I can have a little empathy for him. Harvey, on the other hand, has everything but is still a total dick.

Heck, I don't like Mike half the time either.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
It doesn't have to do with my cable provider, it has to do with what time the episode airs. Same thing happens on Mad Men, Sunday morning reruns are bleeped. If I'd caught it in the normal 9 or 10pm slot, it wouldn't be edited.

Almost.
It seems on TV, a lot of these lawfirms have a "Louis". The loyal bulldog that gets things done at the firm that nobody else wants to. I remember LA Law had Brackman to do that. And yes, I was a little sad about Louis leaving. While I don't like him, he's about the only character not afraid to take on Harvey, who really is just as much of a bully, but in a different way. They mesh well together as adversaries.

Still loving this show. Again, I'm sure it's not very realistic, and they take a lot of liberties with the truth, but the characters are fun. I enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm still enjoying this show. I usually don't like or watch this type of show, but it has kept me watching.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It seems on TV, a lot of these lawfirms have a "Louis". The loyal bulldog that gets things done at the firm that nobody else wants to.
Except Louis was not loyal, and he is not very good at getting the big things done.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
sburnside1

I wouldn't say I "Like" Louis, but he is a hard worker. Harvey tends to bully and belittle him. Jessica does too. It was no surprise when he ran to the other side. At that point, Daniel had found an under-appreciated lawyer that he could manipulate.

Harvey is the closer. Mike has the law books memorized. Louis' specialty is accounting. I thought they did another good example of highlighting his value in this episode.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
nyny523
Oy

Like him or hate him, Louis is a great character who adds to the show.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I'd be fine with dumping the show at this point. The only character I used to hate was Rachel. Now I somewhat despise Harvey and Mike as well. I wasn't a big fan of the Daniel Hardman storyline last season and the character attitudes are ruining it for me this season. Only problem is my wife has such a big crush on Mike and Harvey that she is going to want to stick with it far longer than I will.

I like Loius. If he would have left the show that probably would have been enough for me to dump it. He just wants to belong so bad. It is hard not to feel sympathy for him.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
robojerk

Lawyers are hard to like....
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Harvey's a bully and a smug one at that. Him hiring Mike can potentially do far more damage to the firm than anything Louis ever did.

I like the show even though nobody but Rachel and Donna are likable characters.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
whitson77
Director Level

Mike started off as pretty likeable, but for some reason they are going out of their way to make him unlikeable.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Harvey's a bully and a smug one at that. Him hiring Mike can potentially do far more damage to the firm than anything Louis ever did.
That's just not true. Louis was instrumental in Hardman gaining control. That was far worse for the firm than hiring Mike.

Also, Louis treats the associates like crap. The associates are the future of the firm, and they need to be mentored well to insure the firm's future. Harvey is doing a good job of mentoring Mike. And Mike helps the other associates.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
nyny523
Oy

The thing I like about this show is that the characters are not black and white.

Few of them are "good" or "bad". They are all imperfect. Like real people. Sometimes they do bad things. Sometimes they do good things. But I think the writers are giving us some fully fleshed-out characters so that we understand the motivation behind what they do. Even if we don't LIKE what they do. I don't think anything anyone has done has been out of character.

I really like this show!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
That's just not true. Louis was instrumental in Hardman gaining control. That was far worse for the firm than hiring Mike.

Also, Louis treats the associates like crap. The associates are the future of the firm, and they need to be mentored well to insure the firm's future. Harvey is doing a good job of mentoring Mike. And Mike helps the other associates.
If Mike gets exposed, don't Harvey and Jessica (potentially) lose their license and every case he touched potentially get thrown out? Fines and lost clients?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
If Mike gets exposed, don't Harvey and Jessica (potentially) lose their license and every case he touched potentially get thrown out? Fines and lost clients?
If you think that would ever happen, you don't know Harvey and Jessica very well.

Besides, if you want to forego suspension of disbelief, in any realistic scenario Mike would be legal by now (well, except for the fake Harvard credentials). He could have gone through some accelerated law program, gotten a degree, and retaken the bar with very little effort.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
SeanC
ECT

Quote:

I agree. Harvey and Louis are like Israel and Palestine. Who hurt who first? Yeah Louis can be a total dick, but usually it's because he has perceived that someone is being a dick to him first (leaving out the associates).

I would miss him very much if he was gone.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
Mike started off as pretty likeable, but for some reason they are going out of their way to make him unlikeable.
I think Mike is still likable, but very flawed. He always wants to do the "right thing" for the clients, but doesn't always do the "right thing" in his own life. That's part of what makes him interesting. Even Harvey and Louis have a bit of that in them, even though they are bullies to their underlings.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I don't dislike Harvey, Mike or Louis. But even if I did, I'd still watch as long as Donna is in every episode.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I think I hate all of the characters. Even Meghan Markle's character is coming across is annoyingly whiny.

Still enjoying the story though.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
RockJock
Rock Climbing Fool

I can't stand Rachel's character now. She is a fickle, judgmental child. She expects Mike to pine away over her while she makes up her mind and they flies off the handle when he doesn't. I want to ffw through her on the screen.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I don't dislike Harvey, Mike or Louis. But even if I did, I'd still watch as long as Donna is in every episode.
If you replace Donna with Rachel I'd agree. I just find her a bit more attractive, but that's just me.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Sarah Rafferty is crazy-hot.

The more Donna in an episode, the better.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
wprager

I'm confused. Is everyone saying Louis left? I thought the scene at the end was Harvey tearing up his resignation letter. Interesting how it wasn't enough for Louis that Jessica personally asked him to stay; Harvey's approval is what it took.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote