TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
TheCheapGamer

TiVo Premiere Questions.

Hey all, just have a few questions I can't seem to find definite answers to.

I had been renting a DVR from the cable company for about two years, but just dropped it a few months ago. I just bought lifetime series 2 that while it's better than nothing, quality wise it's like a digital VCR.

The cost of TiVo service is about that of renting but at least I'll own my DVR.

As I understand it, the Premiere (non 4/xl) seems to have all the tuners covered.

So I should be able to receive analog problems no problem.
Digital ones (assuming I can get a card) and if I leave cable all together, ota with an antenna.
(correct?)

Now for the tuner part, I see it's a dual tuner.
Is that dual in any configuration? (IE, two analog or two digital or one analog and one digital or 1 ota and 1 analog, etc, etc.)

Now assuming all the above is correct how much is service when I buy a box? Online it says $15 with a one year agreement when you buy a box from them. Does it matter where you buy the box? Will it always be $15 a month with a one year agreement or is there month to month?

And finally, have any of you had difficulty with the cable cards (m-card I believe for this model)? About how much do you pay, or are they free with your service? (We already pay for the HD and digital cable channels.)

Thanks!
TheCheapGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes the non-4/XL4 premiere units can record from any combination of digital, analog or OTA. It can only record two shows at once, but those two can be from any of those sources.

The service is the same price no matter if you but the box from them or from somewhere else. They use to offer deals where the box was "free", but the monthly service was $20 but they seemed to have gotten rid of that. Another option, if you can afford it, is the lfietime service. Over the long run this will have the most value. Not only will you break even after about 33 months but the box will be worth more if you ever sell it. Lifetime service retains most of it's value during resale, so a box that may only be worth $50 without service will be worth $350+ if it has lifetime.

CableCARD quality and price varies wildly from provider to provider. However for most people they work fine and cost <$5 month. Some even offer them free in place of the free cable box you get with your digital service.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
tatergator1

Quote:
Digital ones (assuming I can get a card) and if I leave cable all together, ota with an antenna.
(correct?)
Yes.

Quote:
Is that dual in any configuration? (IE, two analog or two digital or one analog and one digital or 1 ota and 1 analog, etc, etc.)
Any configuration. Maximum of two recordings at the same time from any combination you can come up with.

Quote:
Now assuming all the above is correct how much is service when I buy a box? Online it says $15 with a one year agreement when you buy a box from them. Does it matter where you buy the box? Will it always be $15 a month with a one year agreement or is there month to month?
You mentioned you already have a lifetimed S2. Is this box in your name? If so, you may be able to get either $12.99 a month or Lifetime for $399 under the Multi-Service Discount. If the box is in your name, it's probably worth a call to Tivo to see if it's a qualifying box for MSD.

As for where you buy your box, you can usually find them cheaper than Tivo retail at other electronics vendors. Shop around. You would then have to get in touch with Tivo to purchase service for the box.

Quote:
And finally, have any of you had difficulty with the cable cards (m-card I believe for this model)? About how much do you pay, or are they free with your service? (We already pay for the HD and digital cable channels.)

Thanks!
YMMV. Things have come a long way from 2006/2007 when the Series 3 and Tivo HD were first released. Currently, the FCC has mandated you be able to self-install. So you should be able to order one by mail or pickup from a cable office, insert the card, follow the setup directions, call your cable company and get everything authorized. This can be a 30 minute process or a nightmare, but now-a-days, it's more likely to be a 30 minute process.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
TheCheapGamer

Thank you for the quick replies guys.

Two more things and I think I'm set.
When I buy a box not from TiVo, do you still lock into a one year agreement when you sign up for service? I thought I saw like (3) monthly based prepaid plans at some point when browsing.

Also, I have Amazon Prime currently, does this box support streaming movies (not just renting them)?

Thanks again!
TheCheapGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapGamer View Post
Thank you for the quick replies guys.

Two more things and I think I'm set.
When I buy a box not from TiVo, do you still lock into a one year agreement when you sign up for service? I thought I saw like (3) monthly based prepaid plans at some point when browsing.

Also, I have Amazon Prime currently, does this box support streaming movies (not just renting them)?

Thanks again!
You are locked into a 1 year agreement.

It does not support the Amazon Prime streaming. It only supports renting/buying then downloading. If you rent/buy from the box it automatically downloads to the box. If you rent/buy from the computer you can send it to the box. If you have already bought something in the past you can send it to the box through the website.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah no matter where you buy the box you have to start with a one year contract on service. After that it goes month to month and you can cancel at any time. If you cancel before the end of the one year there is a termination fee.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapGamer View Post
Hey all, just have a few questions I can't seem to find definite answers to.

I had been renting a DVR from the cable company for about two years, but just dropped it a few months ago. I just bought lifetime series 2 that while it's better than nothing, quality wise it's like a digital VCR.

The cost of TiVo service is about that of renting but at least I'll own my DVR.

As I understand it, the Premiere (non 4/xl) seems to have all the tuners covered.

(correct?)

Thanks!
what model tivo is it? the S2 don't do cable cards.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote