TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Scott2323

Question Cable Cards and New Hard Drive

Hello,

My dads Tivo HD(652) had the ext. drive die and I ordered a new 2TB drive from WeaKnees. My question is with Frontier FIOS do I leave the CableCard in when I put in the new Hard Drive and boot it up? Or do I take out the Cablecard and run Guided Setup and after that is finished put the CableCard in?

Thanks for any help,

Scott2323
Scott2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2323 View Post
Hello,

My dads Tivo HD(652) had the ext. drive die and I ordered a new 2TB drive from WeaKnees. My question is with Frontier FIOS do I leave the CableCard in when I put in the new Hard Drive and boot it up? Or do I take out the Cablecard and run Guided Setup and after that is finished put the CableCard in?

Thanks for any help,

Scott2323
Leave the CableCARD in to be sure that Host ID's and such don't change.
jtmal0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
New drive new data for the cable card, even a C&D all will require the cable card be re-paired by the cable co.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
New drive new data for the cable card, even a C&D all will require the cable card be re-paired by the cable co.
I suspect that it may depend on the cable company to some extent. I put a new drive in my P2 (came pre-imaged) and never had an issue with the CableCard. Did have to reboot it once to get rid of the "HW mismatch" error that occurs because the drive TSN didn't match the MB TSN.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
will they change if the drive is external?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
will they change if the drive is external?
Since it's going to be a 2TB drive, it won't be an internal.

But if the external dies and you're going to not replace it but put in a big internal, what you do is disconnect the external, boot the TiVo, divorce the external, then copy the internal to the new big drive (and in this model expand with jmfs), and the cable card pairing will be copied over from the old internal to the new big internal along with everything else except recordings made after the external was added.

As far as I know all the stuff like card pairings, your zip code, what your cable lineup is, which over the air channels you get, your season passes and thumb ratings, and all those settings you set are and will be on the internal, and the only thing on an external is pieces of shows, the other pieces of which are on the internal due to the anti-"take the external somewhere else and copy the shows" scheme they use.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote